Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 06:10 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The Pac NW seems a good fit. So does much of California.

In the Northeast, if you don't mind smaller cities, Burlington VT seems a PERFECT fit as long as you can deal with cold winters (hey, it'll get you snowboarding). It's located on a large lake (Champlain) so there are plenty of water sports around. It's also at the foot of the mountains so skiing is just a short ride away as are rock climbing, hiking, mountain biking, etc. Surfing is probably closer to 3-4 hours away.

Portland Maine may work too (though like Burlington, it's a small city). You have the ocean and lakes right nearby so water sports (all types) are at your doorstep. The mountains are 45 minutes to an hour away.

Even Boston may fit the bill if you want a bigger city and prefer the East Coast (though I'll admit, the West Coast will likely be better in most categories). Boston is on the ocean and all your water sports can be had right nearby. The mountains of Maine and New Hampshire are 2-3 hours (many excellent ski areas within this range), and mountain biking and hiking and rock climbing can be found even closer. While it won't be on the same par as Seattle, Portland OR, San Francisco, etc... it's not a bad bet at all.

If you have to worry about costs, then Seattle or Portland for sure. Much better then California in terms of affordability.

As for the east coast? I don't think its a good choice still. Having to drive 2 to 3 hours is very far once you have been spoiled by the west coast. In Vancouver or Seattle you can easily go Skiing, kayaking, rock climbing and then go see a show in the city all in the same day with minimal driving.

Most of the half way decent ski resorts and outdoorsy spots on the east coast are way to far to waste the time and hassel. Notice I said half way decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:26 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Now for something completely different, I'll suggest Greenville, SC. The surfing and skiing will be weekend trips but the Kayaking, Mtn biking, etc is an easy day trip. You'll be skiing at Banner Elk/ Grandfather Mtn in NC.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:59 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,609,576 times
I'm surprised only one person has mentioned the SE. I have to agree with creeksitter. I'd go North Carolina before South Carolina. If you were to choose Hickory, NC or Asheville your soooo close to the Blue Ridge Parkway a great place to ride a bike. I was just there last week and lots of guys in groups riding bikes. I even talk to some who rode all the way to the top of Mt. Mitchell the highest point in the Eastern U.S. The temperate summer climate in the mountains keeps things at a comfortable temperature. Boone barely breaks 85 in the summer. It's green and lush, you really can't beat it.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:39 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,363,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zh4k View Post
Ok, below are the activities that I love to do, and I would love to find a city that encompasses all of them or have them all available with in an hour or so. I'm thinking somewhere in California, but any other suggestions would be great.

Kayaking (white-water: the harder the level the better)

Mountain Biking ( no road biking, like getting into mountains and all that)

Snowboarding (This one can be alittle bit farther away since I like warm weather year round)

Rock Climbing

Watersports (wakeboarding, waterskiing, jetskiing)

Surfing (this can be farther like the snowboarding, but this must be a part of the list)

If anybody can think of a city that encompasses these or atleast has these relatively close like around 2 to 3 hours distance that would be great.

Thanks.
Boise has all of the activities you listed except for of course surfing, but there is snowboarding nearby and even surfing on the Boise River by holding into a rope tied around a tree and riding a river rapid.

Kayaking. Idaho has more whitewater than any other state in the lower 48 and there are miles of Class V raft and kayak runs on the Payette River just north of Boise. There are lots of rivers near Boise in the mountains which are popular for their whitewater and the river through town is popular for kayakers who want a more mellow experience. The North Fork of the Payette is one of the most challenging in the country for kayakers.

Mountain biking and Boise are best friends. There are miles of singletrack in the foothills adjacent to the city and a 30 mile paved greenbelt along the Boise River. The biking culture in Boise is huge.

There are areas to rock climb within city limits and the Boise River Canyon is a few miles outside of the city and is popular for rock climbers.

Watersports are popular because of the river through the city and the lakes in the mountains that are North of Boise. There are many natural lakes and some reservoirs to wakeboard, waterski, and jetski. If you want to visit the ocean it is about a 6 to 7 hour drive or a quick flight out of the airport to Portland and the Oregon Coast.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:22 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I'm surprised only one person has mentioned the SE. I have to agree with creeksitter. I'd go North Carolina before South Carolina. If you were to choose Hickory, NC or Asheville your soooo close to the Blue Ridge Parkway a great place to ride a bike. I was just there last week and lots of guys in groups riding bikes. I even talk to some who rode all the way to the top of Mt. Mitchell the highest point in the Eastern U.S. The temperate summer climate in the mountains keeps things at a comfortable temperature. Boone barely breaks 85 in the summer. It's green and lush, you really can't beat it.
I was thinking of NC a few posts before reading yours. Great minds, as they say. Anyway, one thing I'm not sure about is whether the mountains there have consistent snow cover during the winter. I know there is skiing, but I don't know one way or the other whether there's enough snow cover consistently all through the winter to avoid breaks in the ski season.

The other issue with the Southeast is that the mountains are farther inland than in the Northeast or along much of the west coast. In the Carolinas, you have to decide whether you're going to be really near the coast, really near the mountains, or several hours from each. But the region does have most or all of the activities that interest the OP.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:29 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
If you really like to ski then the south east is the absolute most worst place to be!! I know the applachians get snow, but nothing compared to the western peaks.

Its almost June here and we are still skiing.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:21 PM

210 posts, read 845,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
If you really like to ski then the south east is the absolute most worst place to be!! I know the applachians get snow, but nothing compared to the western peaks.

Its almost June here and we are still skiing.
Gave u a point for that one. Stick to the west coast if you enjoy good skiing.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:41 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I guess the OP will have to tell us if (s)he wants snowboarding available seasonally or year-round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.