Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which National Park would you seek refuge from law enforcement?
Yosemite 9 10.84%
Canyonlands 3 3.61%
Great Smokey Mountains 28 33.73%
Everglades 11 13.25%
Yellowstone 7 8.43%
Grand Canyon 3 3.61%
Glacier 3 3.61%
Big Bend 1 1.20%
Death Valley 6 7.23%
Denali 12 14.46%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:25 PM

259 posts, read 988,089 times

Advertisements

Upper Whitefish Lake on the N.W. edge of Glacier. Nobody would find you for years! In fact it's very hard to find on a map. Certainly the most beautiful place I've ever been! 5-6 free campsites on the edge of a high mountain lake + "no traffic"! It's about 40 miles out from the nearest paved road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 05:29 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
Death Valley, hands down. Up towards Wildrose, there's some places with a little water up there. But you'd have to plan carefully, otherwise, they'll find you mummified in the year 2340.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I chose Death Valley - maybe I'm a little disturbed??? I just think that nobody in their right mind would even WANT to go out there looking for me!!!

Ha, ha!

There was, once upon a time, a guy named "Death Valley Scotty." He was, perhaps, the biggest bulls--- artist who ever lived. He'd sell stock in nonexistent mines, out in the desert somewhere. Occasionally, someone would insist on seeing the "mine." He'd go out with them, then slip away in the middle of the night. He had water caches all over the desert, which he knew like the back of his hand. He called them "tin can springs." His marks would try to follow him...but naturally, he didn't leave them any water. They'd have to turn back.

When, later, they ran into him back in town, he'd go, "What happened to you?" And, everybody would laugh. He almost got shot a few times. But, he wound up dying of old age, cause he was just too entertaining to kill.

God rest.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:47 PM

653 posts, read 3,407,664 times
Default Death Valley

And there is a place called "Scotty's Castle", and "Scotty's Junction". I believe that it's on State Road 267.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
And there is a place called "Scotty's Castle", and "Scotty's Junction". I believe that it's on State Road 267.

Yep. One of Scotty's "victims" was a Chicago businessman named Johnson, I think. He got the "treatment", was at first hopping mad, but then realized that the money was a pittance to him and started to find the whole thing pretty funny.

When his doctor recommended that he spend some time in the desert, he built a lavish house out there, and invited Death Valley Scotty to live there. That's "Scotty's Castle." He lived there the rest of his life, but never owned it.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:06 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
So the National Park system is shutdown and the parks are empty, right?

So we're just talking about survival here, with comfort thrown in as a possibility.

Easiest place to survive is a swamp. Lots of frogs, turtles, fish etc. Easy to catch. No hypothermia worries in Everglades. Plenty of fire fuel and water. Hard to move around at times, but that would make it more difficult for any searchers. The comfort side of things would suffer from the summer humidity and the mossies, but hey, you're on the run, right?
Ok, I'd take my chances with law enforcement rather than the gators and pythons in teh Everglades. Take a peek at the gator eating python here....both lost:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...eatsgator.html

Old 04-10-2007, 10:51 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Default Still Goin To The Swamp

First off, there is no perfect spot in the choices given.

A couple of the parks mentioned would be great in the summer, but winter would be a monumental struggle to ward of starvation and hypothermia.

Several others offer only meagre amounts of food and water, but plenty of inhospitable desert at any time of year.

For short-term summer refuge, Yosemite or the Smokies would be my choice, but for a year-long stay, the Everglades is most doable assuming you're hiding rather than stealing cars, kidnapping, breaking and entering, etc.

ellie:

Nice mosquito reference. LOL Believe me, though, the mosquitos and black flys of the Ontario woodlands are just as fierce and thick as anything the Everglades offers up. There are ways and means to deal with the little buggers, though.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:48 AM

70 posts, read 242,555 times
Ya know what's funny? The fact that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid used Canyonlands National Park as a hideout in the 1800's and that is the only park listed so far that has zero votes. That is kind of what inspired this thread to begin with.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:20 AM

58 posts, read 200,363 times
I choose the Green Mountains of Vermont. Plenty of forest cover stretching over a wide swath of the state. Good luck trying to find me there!

Old 04-11-2007, 02:18 AM

70 posts, read 242,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reztrop View Post
I choose the Green Mountains of Vermont. Plenty of forest cover stretching over a wide swath of the state. Good luck trying to find me there!
Sorry, that wasn't one of the options. So yeah, the cops will pick you up in seconds with no where to hide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.