U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which National Park would you seek refuge from law enforcement?
Yosemite 9 10.84%
Canyonlands 3 3.61%
Great Smokey Mountains 28 33.73%
Everglades 11 13.25%
Yellowstone 7 8.43%
Grand Canyon 3 3.61%
Glacier 3 3.61%
Big Bend 1 1.20%
Death Valley 6 7.23%
Denali 12 14.46%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2007, 06:21 AM

12,345 posts, read 18,450,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebigcity View Post
True, but Eric Rudolph was able to hide out for years in the Smoky Mountains without being caught. Sometimes its better to hide in plain sight.

I went with the Smoky Mountains- lived up there for a few years & I loved it.
Eric Rudolph was never in the Smokies, but in the northwest corner of North Carolina (near enough). That being said, I know there were stories of him living in caves, but my bet is he spent all his time holed up in a freinds or relatives cabin up there. Blah, stories of him living off the land hiding out, BS. He was holed up in a cabin watching Oprah on TV every day eating cans of chef-boy-r-d.

All the selections the guy has are very harsh in Winter, or in terrain where it is difficult to live off the land. The Smokes would be the best bet since at least the lower elevations are mild during the winter, you may find some old homesteads you can shack up in, and you have to good size towns in two different states that you can blend into when you need - Asheville and Knoxville.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 01:21 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,156,273 times
Actually I picked the mountains, but really the best place, if you had to do that, I guess I would pick hiding in plain sight...changing who you are, documents and etc, and living in a new quiet subdivison, would prolly work much easier than hiding in a tent in the middle of nowhere, never taking showers and looking a bit scared, would be a real tell tell sign! Lets hope one never has to take such drastic measures! Hee hee.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:12 PM

435 posts, read 1,678,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative
really the best place, if you had to do that, I guess I would pick hiding in plain sight...changing who you are, documents and etc, and living in a new quiet subdivison, would prolly work much easier than hiding in a tent in the middle of nowhere, never taking showers and looking a bit scared, would be a real tell tell sign! Lets hope one never has to take such drastic measures! Hee hee.
That is true. I would probably pick that as well....but a subdivision in the mountains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
Eric Rudolph was never in the Smokies, but in the northwest corner of North Carolina (near enough).
He wasn't in the northwest corner. He was caught in the southwest corner- in Murphy, NC.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:20 PM

58 posts, read 174,747 times
Quote:
Sorry, that wasn't one of the options. So yeah, the cops will pick you up in seconds with no where to hide.
Green Mountains all the way.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:44 PM

70 posts, read 219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reztrop View Post
Green Mountains all the way.
Sorry, your done. That isn't part of the post. Not an option. You're nailed and in jail now. Don't bend over for the soap!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:54 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,435,977 times
Quote:
Ya know what's funny? The fact that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid used Canyonlands National Park as a hideout in the 1800's and that is the only park listed so far that has zero vote

Lol, DuneDog. Look how well that worked out for them. They ran off to the paradise that was Bolivia.

Quote:
I choose the Green Mountains of Vermont. Plenty of forest cover stretching over a wide swath of the state. Good luck trying to find me there!

So, reztrop, any idea of what you're going to find to eat come January when it's 20 below with 4 feet of snow on the ground?

Old 04-11-2007, 06:58 PM

1,719 posts, read 3,642,191 times
I chose the Canyonlands because I'd figure they're be after me (lol) from above by helicopters with night vision and infarred scopes so this way I could hide out in caves. Hey, it's working for Bin Laden. I would have chosen The Grand Canyon but it's too much of a defined search area, even though it does have some lush grassy areas with water supply and fish at the bottom of the Canyon.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:58 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,156,273 times
LOL...yes that way if you have to go that route, all you have to is pack up a backpack and walk up the hill.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:04 PM

58 posts, read 174,747 times
Quote:
Sorry, your done. That isn't part of the post. Not an option. You're nailed and in jail now. Don't bend over for the soap!
Want to make a bet? I've been there before. You haven't. It offers more refuge than some of your silly poll choices. So cut the nonsense and straighten up your poll.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:54 PM

70 posts, read 219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reztrop View Post
Want to make a bet? I've been there before. You haven't. It offers more refuge than some of your silly poll choices. So cut the nonsense and straighten up your poll.
I don't care. You don't get it. I am not saying that it is worse than the places I picked. I never claimed those 10 parks were the absolute best choices. Fact of the matter is, I didn't include your precious Green Mountains of Vermont in MY thread. So, yeah...you can't hide there. Not an option. Not in this thread. Sorry bub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or