Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 12:45 AM

44 posts, read 41,770 times

Advertisements

Hi im new here.
Let me introduce myself.
Im 22.Im from Europe (Spaniard).
I came with a friend and a german girl last year to U.S (Georgia).
After that we returned to europe, but we´ll be back to america soon.
I really liked, so i decided to study there in the future some courses.
Im a telecommunication engineer and im interested in study professional perfomance to became an actor and improve my curriculum with "extra" studies.
Now, can anyone tell me where is the best place (state,city...) to begin my studies, i mean a normal academy not an expensive one and a residence (you know)...
If someane knows something about or know someone that understand about this, please talk to me.
Just inform.
Mail:Arturonewgen_@hotmail.com
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 12:57 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,759,953 times
Well, the best places for actors are probably New York City and Los Angeles... NYC is more for stage performance, and LA is known for the movies & TV shows. As for specific schools, you should look into New York University (NYU), Univ. of California Los Angeles (UCLA), and maybe Univ. of Southern California (USC). The first 2 are public universities, though I don't know the costs for an international student. These are both expensive cities to live in, but they should have student housing available for lower costs - or you could get a cheap apartment with roommates. Good luck wherever you go!

Old 04-10-2007, 01:21 AM

Ok.Thank u for the post.
By the way, my preocupations are obviously(money, food and a "flat"), but there is one more thing that i want to ask.
What would be the best?
Firstly i have the opportunity of going to U.S and study the career if it is not EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE...
In the other hand i think if it would be better study the actor career/courses here in spain and after that looking for the luck in U.S.
I dont have very clare the situation, common sense or feelings? LOL
Whats your opinion?
Thanks for read.

Last edited by Annihilator_; 04-10-2007 at 02:09 AM..

Old 04-10-2007, 03:29 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,341,564 times
First, do you have the opportunity or not? Are you still looking for a school? If I were you, I would stay in Spain or go to London where there is a superb school to study acting etc. Once you have accomplished this, then try to find a way to come here.

Life can be very expensive here in the cities that have the schools such as in LA or NYC. Good luck to you!

Last edited by jhlcomp; 04-10-2007 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-10-2007, 04:23 PM

Yes.I have the opportunity.
I mean, now i have my own career finished and here in spain i have a secure job if this(the perfomance chance) goes wrong.
If i have no success, no problem, ill be back to my old job.
Since i was a children i want to study perfomance, i know its difficult, and more difficulty added becase im from another country.
But in the last years, i had improved my skills and learn some english.(When i was 17 i had no idea of english language).
But, im 22.Im very young, so i can prove and look for luck.
The only thing that worry me is where study to have the best opportunity.
I mean, if I study here in europe, would i have the same consideration that someone who study in the U.S?I know that depends on the person.
Im not rich to pay a superb school, but i know that i have talent, and the only thing that im looking for is one opportunity.So if i study in a normal school and they show me the basic, ill improve and practice by myself those knowlegdes.
And something more.Inside the world of professional perfomance, im not interested in theaters,backstages like you said before in NYC.
Im really interested in movies,series...you know.
Thanks again.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:47 PM

If you're most interested in movies/TV, then I'd definitely suggest looking into UCLA, or any other schools in the Los Angeles area. It is a hard business to break into, but you'll never know until you try - right? And yes, it is very expensive to live in LA, but millions of people manage it somehow... like I mentioned before, your best bet is either student housing or sharing an apartment. I'd contact their international student's center for more info, and find out the specifics on applying from Spain. It's a tough school to be admitted to, but here's a link that should get you started: http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/intl.htm
Good luck/Buena Suerte!

P.S. I think your English is very good for only 5 years, and it will get even better after living here a while!

Old 04-10-2007, 10:56 PM

Here are a few more links, to other LA-area schools:

http://www.usc.edu/admission/undergraduate/admission/international/ (broken link)
http://www.calstatela.edu/univ/intlstu/index.htm or http://www.calstatela.edu/
http://www.csun.edu/outreach/prospective/international/
http://www.lmu.edu/Page27665.aspx

Old 04-11-2007, 04:42 AM

Thank you so much.It is good to see people so cool at the other side of the world.
In my opinion, Los Angeles and California in general are really wonderful to see and for stay some days like a tourist, but I dont know if for study would be also.But there is no option if i want study this.
I dont think L.A will be harder than Africa or Canarias Islands.I was there few years ago with the army.
I was in the Spanish Army.I have been there(africa and canarias), before enter in the telecom university, concretely with the brigade parachutist "BRIPAC".
I was 14 months as volunteer,with the only objective of obtain some extra cash to pay my studies.
Made some sniper-practices, make the instruction and ate "things" that any person would vomit... among other "exercises".
To be in these situations are my specialty.It just only pass a few weeks there and you begin to love the way of life in the army.Hard but ok.
But you know, sacrifice, hard work is the key to have success in everything.
If the things go allright here, ill be there (L.A) on september 07.These months ill try to obtain more cash to travel.
And the rest, like i always said, is in god hands.
Thanks for the directions!.

P.D:I heard that the U.S goverment let some money to people who after finished the career or studies, serve in the army 3 years.I dont know how much money they give, but ill think/inform about it.

Last edited by Annihilator_; 04-11-2007 at 05:02 AM..

Old 04-11-2007, 05:22 AM

I was looking those pages and the prizes are extremely high.
The only and (big) problem is how to pay.I mean, the money.XD
I thought that one course would cost over 10000 $ or 12000 $.Here in europe are more cheap than L.A
But the pages said that you can earn some money if you work in the campus.
If i suppose that i will earn something there by myself in the campus, i would need another "aid" for pay.
The elements that are under study now:
*Goverment aids for 3 years in the army
*University aids for international students
*Kind of "job" in weekend or something like that
*Find a job of telecom engineering there, and study simultaneously the actor career.

But ill think more possibilities.
I have to study the situation very carefully.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:25 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,058,323 times
I would strongly recommend that you check out RADA. Here is their website:

http://www.rada.org/

RADA is among the finest schools for performance arts in the world, and that includes those here in the USA. It prepares you for acting on the stage, the best way to learn performance and its graduates are top rate in both stage and screen.

It may also be more available and perhaps more affordable. I also believe they have scholarships, and as Spain is an EU member, Spanish residents, would have an easier time to qualify than attempting the leaps to get a student visa in the States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.