U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:33 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times

Advertisements

The declining small towns in eastern South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas. Pick up a nice old house in town for maybe 20K, and use the whole back yard for a garden. Really good fertile soil on an older lot, where it's been just a lawm for maybe 100 years, and native prairie before that. You'll probably have to water, it hardly ever rains in July and August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 01:05 PM

7,682 posts, read 16,103,744 times
Plenty of little economically depressed (ie. cheap) towns like that in southern Michigan once you get west of about Ann Arbor. The Great Lakes keep the weather in that area a little more mild than in surrounding states.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:48 PM

278 posts, read 900,844 times
My sister just moved to Manhattan, Kansas. I didnt think Kansas was a very cool place till I went and visited.. Its very beautiful, cheap, and has a long growing season but still 4 seasons... My sister planted her garden in April. There is K State there which is a very beautiful OLD campus.. It looks like a castle... all stone!! Its liberal, friendly, and beautiful.. Its also windy (its kansas..lol) and has tornados.. which it just had one last june so it might be a long time before they have another one..lol. Its very hilly there (the black hills) and the sunsets are the best I have ever seen anywhere... I was very pleasently surprised. Check it out! Let me know if you want any more info. Good luck on your hunt!!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:00 PM

85 posts, read 281,151 times
Iowa has some really cheap houses. Especially right now when no one is buying. Property taxes here are going to be low compared to what you are probably used to. My house was bought last year is about 2500 sq feet with four bedrooms, two bathrooms, spiral staircase, with gingerbread trim and Victorian gable. I have an obsencely huge yard which I find to be a headache given my current schedule. We paid 110k. Indianapolis is also really reasonable, and much larger if that's attractive to you at all.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:14 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,716,682 times
The Cowanesque Valley of northern PA used to be a cash crop growing area (like tobacco) but has fallen on hard times. Hunting land and bare land is relatively pricey (due to Marcellus Shale gas drilling boom), but large in-town lots with houses are pretty cheap. Settled by New Englanders so larger lot sizes even in town, than in the historically Pennsylvania German-influenced areas. Property taxes fairly low for PA (in Northern Tioga School District) and nothing compared to adjacent NY. Look for Elkland, Westfield, and adjacent.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:46 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,286,095 times
Probably just about anywhere in eastern kentucky

Old 06-03-2009, 02:58 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,030,243 times
Anywhere, Mississippi

Seriously, the climate here is perfect for growing. We get a good bit of rain, lots of sun, and very few frosts. The soil is better in some areas of the state than others, but you can always buy good soil no matter where you are. Mississippi also has some of the most affordable housing in the country. You can very easily find houses for less than $100/sq ft.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:45 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,657,970 times
As far as a college town, realtor.com lists a few homes for under $50,000 in Cape Girardeau, MO. Of course the town is like 30,000, so it's fairly small. Most of these homes listed are only 2 bedroom.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...le-family-home

Realtor.com lists a few houses in Columbia, MO (about 100,000 people) for $50k or less.

Realtor.com lists a few houses in Springfield, Missouri (about 100k people) for $50k or less.

Both are college towns, and will probably have a mix of older homes and new construction.

You might be able to find a few homes in the St. Louis area that are in decent shape for that price. But they won't be stellar.

I guess part of it depends on if you prefer urban or rural areas.

We have a garden outfront, but it just has flowers in it. The soil in the Ozarks is good for growing, but farming isn't as prevalent here as in the bootheel. You certainly can grow in a garden in the Ozarks, but you'll be dealing with a few rocks.

Here's a PDF about Missouri farms
http://www.mobio.org/docs/pdfs/MoAgQuickFacts.pdf (broken link)

You could also look through the Lake of the Ozarks area. Very beautiful land.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 06-03-2009 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or