U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:54 AM

562 posts, read 1,970,981 times

Advertisements

I'm having trouble finding any comments on this, I know it's paranoid but...

What are some cities outside Seattle that are either outside of the earthquake zone reasonably enough that they wouldn't get owned, or cities that built with earthquake proof buildings. From what I'm reading Seattle (and it's bridges, that's scary) aren't earthquake safe. I should probably just move exactly where I want and shut up but I would at least like to see if there are some nice areas that are safe as well!

Bellingham appears to be pretty out of the way of the Seattle Fault, though crime is a little high.

According to this website Bothell, Bellevue, and Snohomish have VERY low crime rates, impressive.

EDIT: As I've repeated over and over I would love to live on the eastside though it is expensive, has traffic, is in an earthquake zone, and you have to drive across the scary bridge. That is holding me back, if it is nicer, in the end I'm just going to say screw it and live there anyway, I can't live in fear. But I have been looking north at alternatives. Based on the crime rate (one of my primary concerns) here are the places I was examining:

Mountlake Terrace
Bothell
Snohomish

They are a bit small for my tastes. I will probably move to those places over the eastside if I can find a cheaper house...but if I can find a nice place on the eastside for a decent price I may go for it.

I think this is the hardest life decision I have had to make yet! I know I can always move somewhere local later but what a pain! I hope I make the right decision the first time.

Last edited by ShadowXOR; 04-12-2007 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 07:58 PM
PNW

16 posts, read 72,307 times
ShadowXOR, you said:
"I think I match the Seattle lifestyle better...but I'm terrified of the possible quake there"

I've lived in the Seattle area since 1978 and yes, we've had a few quakes, but nothing to be scared of. Definitely not like CA. I remember one that was downright funny! I was upstairs sitting on the floor looking at a magazine. I felt the floor vibrate and went downstairs to tell my son not to hit the punching bag (bolted to the beam) so hard. But he was on the computer--and asked me why I had been jumping up and down on the floor upstairs! Then we both realized it had been an earthquake!

Here is a website about our quakes:

Report an earthquake: Pacific NW home

It's getting expensive in Seattle, but housing is cheaper in cities just south of Seattle--Renton, Des Moines, Auburn, Kent, or just north in Mountlake Terrace, Lynnwood.

I'm not sure about call center jobs--my neighbor worked in one that just closed last year. Have you found a job? If you want to be near colleges, Seattle is definitely the place. Here is a website that lists all the ones just in Seattle:

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

And there are more colleges in the surrounding cities!

Good Luck!

I just read your latest posts--you mentioned Mountlake Terrace. That's where I live and I love it! Close to shopping in Edmonds and Lynnwood but without their traffic. Easy access to I-5 and I-405, half-way between Seattle and Everett, commuter buses to either place. The rush-hour commute to Seattle can take an hour unless you learn the back-street routes. MLT is quiet, lots of green, year-round creeks and woodsy areas, great parks, civic center with tennis courts, swimming pool, etc. Friendly neighborhoods, good police and fire services, low crime. Lots of newer homes being built--as high as $700,000+ but can still find affordable houses, condos, apartments. Home values still steadily increasing. If you like the Eastside, how about north east--Lake Forest Park, Kenmore, Bothell, Woodinville? No bridges needed to get to Seattle from there!

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: P.S.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:14 PM

562 posts, read 1,970,981 times
Thanks for the info PNW. In a thread on the Washington forum a lot of them disliked MLT and seemed to think it was full of crime. I guess it's all perception?

I'm also considering living IN Seattle just to try it...I've never lived in a major city. Rent seems to start at roughly $700 everywhere around Seattle which is great. My city in Southern California starts at about $1,000+.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:21 AM
PNW

Default I guess I should check out the WA forum!

Yeah, when we moved to MLT back in 1978, it had a reputation--because of its cinder-block starter-homes for GI's returning from World War II. And like any town, there have been the usual--vandalism, theft, drugs--but nothing major nor out of control. We bought our home new on the east side of MLT in a good neighborhood and have never had problems--great neighbors, great kids, good mix of ages and ethnicities, neighborhood block party every July 4th.

The city put in tough laws about trashy yards, and once every year there is a free, unlimited-garbage pick-up day. Plans are being finalized right now for a revitalized downtown core and the values of our homes are steadily increasing.

I'll check out the WA forum--maybe those posters don't live in MLT or realize the improvements being made. There are 500K homes two blocks from mine and new equally expensive ones being built on the next block over. Up the street about 1 mile are brand new 750K homes. The cinderblocks are either being remodeled or torn down to build new. My neighbors and I have been remodeling our homes (none cinder-block)--just sunk 60 grand into my new kitchen!

The great thing about MLT is it's location to everything (the malls, Costco, Walmart, HD and Lowes, etc), and the ease of getting there. There are no traffic jams in MLT, ever--even during rush hour traffic. That's due to the way the city was designed. MLT has a Park-N-Ride lot with commuter buses to Seattle.

MLT is also very family/community oriented with lots of city-owned recreational opportunities--golf, baseball fields, tennis, raquetball, swimming, and more. Great city park just down the street from my house with jogging trails--also a half dozen or more parks in the city.

You'll get less for your money in Seattle, but I don't want to diss that city--it's a great place as well.

Good luck on the move!

Old 04-13-2007, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,954 times
I'm in Seattle and very happy here. Took a few years to get used to the weather, but now love it. In regards to your question regarding Seattle vs. Bellevue. There was an article in the paper recently stating the Eastside had surpassed Seattle for the first time in home prices. Not sure if that trickles down to rentals. I would decide on a location after ya'll have found jobs. Traffic can be a killer.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 25,363 times
If you haven't made a decision yet, I'd like to help.

According to the National Journal:
Seattle is the #1 fit city in the U.S.
Tacoma, WA was the #1 most stressed city in the U.S. in 2005 (no longer in the top 10).
Seattle was voted the #2 "Coolest" city in the U.S., behind Austin, TX.
Seattle traffic is ranked #4 in the U.S.
Seattle has the #4 best night life in the U.S.
Seattle is THE most liberal city in the U.S.
The University of Washington has the #1 medical program in the world.
Seattle Central Community College was voted the #1 best community college in the U.S. in 2001.
AND
Portland was voted the #1 best place to live in the U.S. in 2006.

Personally growing up in Seattle:
Seattle is considered one of the most unique and diverse places in the world.
Seattle's drug issues are easy to avoid. You pretty much have to TRY to get into the drug crowd.
For a big city, it's actually pretty peaceful, and everyone is courteous.
There are hardly any earthquakes (I've personally only experienced 1 fairly big earthquake, 2 overall, and nobody died), and my guess is that Portland is in just as much danger, being on the edge of the same techtonic plate.
Seattle is within the top 10 (between 8 and 10) most expensive places to live.
Seattle is one of the most artistic cities in the world, and obviously known for its enormous music scene.
Seattle has PLENTY of parks to walk your dogs.
I may be wrong, but I thought I remember hearing Portland having the best public transportation system in the U.S.
Both Portland and Seattle are filled with "Techies", as well as adventurous and active people.
Everyone speaks English in both cities.
And I will say, and have said and will always say, there's nothing like Seattle summers (beautiful).

I read an earlier comment on your post where a person suggested moving to Vancouver, WA. I personally think that's one of the best ideas. You're 2 and a half hours from Seattle, and about 15 minutes from Portland. It's a city of about 150,000.

But if you prefer to live closer to Seattle, I recommend you actually live in Seattle. Many areas in Seattle are away from the Downtown activity. I've known plenty of people who've lived in reasonably priced apartments in some of the most expensive areas, like Capitol Hill. But if not, I recommend Bellevue, Redmond, or Kirkland, except all are pricey. In fact, pricier than Seattle (It's where all the Microsoft millionaires and billionaires live).

My biggest advice is to ABSOLUTELY NOT move to Tacoma. It's the crime capitol of the Northwest. A columnist for the Seattle Times described Tacoma similar to a Christmas sweater you recieved from Grandma. It looks pretty when you pull it out of the box, but once you try it on, you can't wait to take it off. I'm currently living in Tacoma for work related reasons, and I'd have to agree with that analogy.

My second biggest advice is to put your worries over earthquakes at ease. Like I said, I've only experienced 2 earthquakes in my entire life...actually more like 1 and a half earthquakes, and nobody died. No city in the Puget Sound is more likely to experience an earthquake over the other. What I mean is that Seattle isn't more likely to experience an earthquake over Bellevue. An earthquake will shake the whole area. BUT, don't worry about it, it's extremely rare!

Old 05-10-2007, 09:09 PM

942 posts, read 1,068,064 times
I think you might like Eugene also, There is a large call center there, I believe it is Norwegian Cruise Lines. It is directly on I-5 where Eugene and Springfield meet. It would be cheaper living in Eugene than Portland, but I doubt by much. Yes there does seem to be alot of drug useage in this part of the country, I don't know what that is all about. You need to check it out, its best to go by how a place feels to you when you actually visit it, than peoples impressions on here. Eugene has a reasonbly good bus system, and its a big enough city, to have pretty much what you need. At your age though, for entertainment I don't know if they come up here to Portland 1/1/2 hours away or what they do. With the university of Oregon in Eugene, there are plenty of people your age there.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,199 times
i was checking out rents in eugene and i was shocked at the prices. i pay 900.00 for 1200 sq ft. per month in florida and i am looking for that in oregon. i am trying to get away from the heat and crime of florida. can someone give me some solid advice? i was really happy about oregon until i found this website. now i am freaking out! i have read about rapes i thought florida was bad.i dont know what to do now. i conviced my husband that oregon had low crime, liberal attitudes,fairly priced housing and jobs. we dont make alot of money and do have any special field or skills-just two adults 3 kids and make about 25,000 a year. could we make it anywhere in oregon.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:18 AM
PNW

Default Rents in Eugene

Darla,
Did you try looking for apartments in Eugene on Craigslist.com? I just checked there and found 2, 4-bedroom duplex/townhomes for $895/month.

I think it will become increasingly more difficult to live in the greater Seattle/Portland areas on $25,000 per year.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or