U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2007, 04:11 PM

766 posts, read 2,271,023 times

Advertisements

What I think has happened is that a bachelor's degree today is now the equivalent of a high school degree 20 years ago in purely economic terms. Where a college degree once conferred special status, it's now such a basic requirement that it takes a graduate degree to truly distinguish yourself these days. Certainly, a college degree is generally worth the cost when looking at increased earnings over an entire career (although I would question paying a huge amount of money for private tuition for undergrad other than at a Ivy League-caliber school if you have solid public flagships as an alternative). It just isn't special anymore, though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 09:35 PM

1,075 posts, read 3,247,498 times
The underhanded dealings in both public & private sectors have been going on for years & years, it may become slowed by bringing some of it out in the open but it still will continue.

Frank the Tank I feel is pretty well right on the money, I was reading an article somewhat related to this post this mourn, basically it boils down to that lil piece of paper sure isnít worth what it was years ago, companies are cutting back forces, moving jobs overseas, more and more people are getting degrees, now that puts more degree grads out in the field looking for those fewer jobs resulting in lower pay scales, add in the cost of getting those degrees and you could be looking at negative results.

Doctors spend years in schooling, costs are enormous only to find there hands tied at times by the insurance companies, they try single practice only to find they need to join into the group to be yet controlled even more, legal professionals find themselves not making nearly what they had hoped for.

Many employers like the more hands on in the field experience over the fresh out of grad school type, as an example from the article two prospective job applicants apply for the same position one having MBA the other in the field exp.

Dear Ms. Hirer,
I imagine you're tempted to toss this application because I don't have the required M.B.A. But having heard from many people that their M.B.A. learning wasn't worth the time and money, I decided to put substance over form and spent the past two years working at the elbow of effective project managers and reading and taking workshops from some top managers. I believe that focusing on the steak rather than the sizzle and learning as a self-starter rather than a classroom student demonstrate abilities important in a leader. But now comes the moment of truth: Will you interview me?

Which would you interview.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:36 AM

436 posts, read 523,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoang View Post
Yes, here in California I hear about increasing tuitions for students, then I hear about salary raises for the college trustees. Something just doesn't add up. Factor that in with the exorbitant amount of money students spend on textbooks (which are updated with new versions often), and it's sad that the price of a college degree is putting many students in debt.

I think the two years it takes to finish the General Education requirement is somewhat of a waste. I know it's important that we have well-rounded students, but honestly I do not remember much from all the General Ed classes I took. I don't apply that knowledge to my daily life either, so I think those classes could be limited.

I think more emphasis should be placed on writing and computer classes, despite a student's major. Requiring internship is a good idea also, since learning about something via a textbook and actually doing it could be totally different experiences. Plus, when a student graduates, he or she will have obtained some work experience already through those internships. Nowadays I think you can't just get a Bachelor's and expect jobs to come your way easily, especially if your major was broad and not career-specific.
You make good points.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:39 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,155,464 times
Knowledge is priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or