U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 PM

32 posts, read 59,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacumen667 View Post
Interesting choices of states. I've traveled around this country plenty and would personally never consider living in Kentucky :P
Out of your choices, I'd go with either Colorado or California. Both are beautiful places. Economically, Colorado is actually doing very well. California, not so much.
But from everything I've seen, after NYC, California is the more interesting place to live. It's very diverse, with MANY things to do and see.
I like NorCal a bit more than SoCal just cause the people tend to be genuinely nicer, and more laid back & chill.
Unfortunately, you wont find a 900 sq foot, 2BR place for $700 a month. However if you're willing to rent a 1BR apartment, there are quite a few in Sacramento and the surrounding area(s) for $700/month. Plus, if you live in Sac you'll be in close proximity to Tahoe and San Fransisco.
Good choice on your major btw! I know a couple of people who do computer networking for their companies and they pull in some nice pay.

First off, I looked at my choice of majour a long hard time before I decided what I'd like to do, I originally wanted to do programming, then quickly saw how much it was sent overseas. Also, a 2BR apt is a NEED, not a want in this situation, as I am living with my mom, and we won't quite fit in a 1BR. Thank you for your information on Colorado as well, and I chose KY because of the low rent prices there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 10:13 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,349,839 times
Take a look at a website that will give a 'rating' for a 'city' you're interested in. That site will give you bar graphs, population size and a list of crimes committed. It's a good starting point for a search.
I didn't realize South Carolina was so crime-ridden. There must be towns or cities there that are relatively safe. I mean, I can't imagine much happening at Hilton Head. Maybe the occasional yachtie stealie a boat fender from his neighbor...
OK, off the top of my head, I'll name some very nice cities or towns out west that you'll have to research for their nearby colleges. You can eliminate coastal CA because the rents will be well above your rental limit. Coastal Washington is also fairly expensive for rents, but Oregon may still offer some good values. Oregon towns worth a look: Florence, Newport, Bend, Grants Pass, Ashland. Rents will vary, and some (all?) may be over your range.
For Colorado, I like Durango a lot. Rents would be cheaper in towns likd Grand Junction or Trinidad though. Boulder's a nice town, but more expensive. Fort Collins is another great town, but ditto for rent, I would think. There are other towns in that area I don't know, but that also could be good bets.
For me, any of the towns mentioned in Oregon would work. I really like Boulder, Ft. Collins, and Durango for CO.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:16 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,349,839 times
I noticed your thread here too. You've got to realize that meth is a real problem most everywhere out west. It's just a matter of degree.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 PM

45 posts, read 174,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaethyx View Post
First off, I looked at my choice of majour a long hard time before I decided what I'd like to do, I originally wanted to do programming, then quickly saw how much it was sent overseas. Also, a 2BR apt is a NEED, not a want in this situation, as I am living with my mom, and we won't quite fit in a 1BR. Thank you for your information on Colorado as well, and I chose KY because of the low rent prices there.
Yea dude, it was a good choice. And a smart one too.
Well, then I guess I'd go with Colorado. I'm only familiar with Denver, but it's an awesome city. Cool people and very nice. And I have seen some 2BR apartments for $700/month or less in between Glendale and Aurora Hills. I guess you can ask people in the Denver CO forum about that area; I'm sure they'd be much more familiar with it than me.

...good luck!

Old 06-03-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacumen667 View Post
Yea dude, it was a good choice. And a smart one too.
Well, then I guess I'd go with Colorado. I'm only familiar with Denver, but it's an awesome city. Cool people and very nice. And I have seen some 2BR apartments for $700/month or less in between Glendale and Aurora Hills. I guess you can ask people in the Denver CO forum about that area; I'm sure they'd be much more familiar with it than me.

...good luck!

I'll post over there tomorrow, and see where that goes. Thank you so much for that information

Old 06-03-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I noticed your thread here too. You've got to realize that meth is a real problem most everywhere out west. It's just a matter of degree.

Yes, I realize that it is, but its exactly what you said. It's a matter of the degree of the use of it. I lived in Arizona, and it was REALLY bad there. Everywhere you went you saw it. As long as its not overwhelming the city, and you can go on with daily life and not be bothered by it, I'm fine.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Take a look at a website that will give a 'rating' for a 'city' you're interested in. That site will give you bar graphs, population size and a list of crimes committed. It's a good starting point for a search.
I didn't realize South Carolina was so crime-ridden. There must be towns or cities there that are relatively safe. I mean, I can't imagine much happening at Hilton Head. Maybe the occasional yachtie stealie a boat fender from his neighbor...
OK, off the top of my head, I'll name some very nice cities or towns out west that you'll have to research for their nearby colleges. You can eliminate coastal CA because the rents will be well above your rental limit. Coastal Washington is also fairly expensive for rents, but Oregon may still offer some good values. Oregon towns worth a look: Florence, Newport, Bend, Grants Pass, Ashland. Rents will vary, and some (all?) may be over your range.
For Colorado, I like Durango a lot. Rents would be cheaper in towns likd Grand Junction or Trinidad though. Boulder's a nice town, but more expensive. Fort Collins is another great town, but ditto for rent, I would think. There are other towns in that area I don't know, but that also could be good bets.
For me, any of the towns mentioned in Oregon would work. I really like Boulder, Ft. Collins, and Durango for CO.

South Carolina has its good and bad parts, most of the state is expensive, except for the upstate part, which is where I am (actually, lowest gas prices in the country right now). For example though, I woke up a few months ago to my crime scene tape blocking off a house, the home owner got shot in an armed robbery, then recently, I went outside to see graffiti everywhere. Thank you again, so much for all the helpful information, and I've written them down, I'll look into them more tomorrow.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:43 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,718,166 times
Binghamton, NY is one of the safest metro areas in the country, and affordable to renters. Offers both Broome Community College - State University of New York and Binghamton University - Home with options to go from rank beginner to PhD. This was a high technology startup in the area: IBM Archives: Valuable resources on IBM's history Isolated by high hills from both the Great Lakes and the nor'easter snowstorm sources, the Binghamton area lies in a sweet spot of relatively low snow for the interior Northeast. Lies far outside the New York City commuter orbit. Good public transit too. Not very exciting, but it seems that's not what you're looking for.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Binghamton, NY is one of the safest metro areas in the country, and affordable to renters. Offers both Broome Community College - State University of New York and Binghamton University - Home with options to go from rank beginner to PhD. This was a high technology startup in the area: IBM Archives: Valuable resources on IBM's history Isolated by high hills from both the Great Lakes and the nor'easter snowstorm sources, the Binghamton area lies in a sweet spot of relatively low snow for the interior Northeast. Lies far outside the New York City commuter orbit. Good public transit too. Not very exciting, but it seems that's not what you're looking for.

Thank you for the info, although, I'm not quite sure if NY is somewhere my mom wishes to move (she's from there, and a lot of bad memories are there) I'll definitely take a look at it though!

Old 06-05-2009, 10:03 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,615,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaethyx View Post
No, not at all. I had looked at the Kalamazoo area, but I'm not too sure after what I've read. I have never really heard many good things about crime rates in Michigan in general, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway
I'd recommend against it. Not Kalamazoo but the state in general, though Kalamazoo isn't exceptionally good nor bad. People only think it's great because they think of all MI cities relative to Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or