U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:06 AM

32 posts, read 59,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I'd recommend against it. Not Kalamazoo but the state in general, though Kalamazoo isn't exceptionally good nor bad. People only think it's great because they think of all MI cities relative to Detroit.

Thank you very much for that information, I'm definitely thinking about that now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 10:47 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,325,418 times
You can find the crime rate of any city by clicking on the words "city-data" at the left of the banner at the top of this page, and select your city, then scroll down through the city for the crime rate chart.. You can also find demographic data there, and it is no secret that the cities with the fewest minorities also have the least crime. Somebody will call me insensitive for that, and call me prejudiced for making up things that I wish were true.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:47 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,618,130 times
If you think you can wing it without a job, then maybe you can decide on a visit or something whether you really like the area that much. But if you came, I wouldn't count on there being very many jobs available for you to hold yourself over on.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:36 PM

56,710 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Binghamton, NY is one of the safest metro areas in the country, and affordable to renters. Offers both Broome Community College - State University of New York and Binghamton University - Home with options to go from rank beginner to PhD. This was a high technology startup in the area: IBM Archives: Valuable resources on IBM's history Isolated by high hills from both the Great Lakes and the nor'easter snowstorm sources, the Binghamton area lies in a sweet spot of relatively low snow for the interior Northeast. Lies far outside the New York City commuter orbit. Good public transit too. Not very exciting, but it seems that's not what you're looking for.

Good choice and I was going to say that Upstate NY has plenty of towns that would be good to check out. Places like Plattsburgh, Oswego, Cortland, Oneonta and Brockport, among many others would be perfect.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:38 PM

56,710 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaethyx View Post
Thank you for the info, although, I'm not quite sure if NY is somewhere my mom wishes to move (she's from there, and a lot of bad memories are there) I'll definitely take a look at it though!
Where in NY State, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 06-06-2009, 06:57 AM

598 posts, read 1,522,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacumen667 View Post
Yea dude, it was a good choice. And a smart one too.
Well, then I guess I'd go with Colorado. I'm only familiar with Denver, but it's an awesome city. Cool people and very nice. And I have seen some 2BR apartments for $700/month or less in between Glendale and Aurora Hills. I guess you can ask people in the Denver CO forum about that area; I'm sure they'd be much more familiar with it than me.
...good luck!
On the surface, sending someone to a city where the job market is good, and there are select apartments available for less than $700 per month is a great idea. The reality is it's only going to put her back into the same situation she's trying to get away from now, an area that is economically depressed and crime ridden. Market conditions as always dictate price. There's a reason why these areas are less expensive.

Michigan is taking a real black eye for it's "lack of work", but the following information contradicts that.

April 2009 Unemployment rates by Michigan Metros:
Ann Arbor, MI 7.8
Battle Creek, MI 11.4
Bay City, MI 11.5
Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI 13.6
Flint, MI 14.2
Grand Rapids-Wyoming, MI 10.5
Holland-Grand Haven, MI 11.5
Jackson, MI 12.8
Kalamazoo-Portage, MI 9.7
Lansing-East Lansing, MI 9.6
Monroe, MI 14.3
Muskegon-Norton Shores, MI 14.2
Niles-Benton Harbor, MI 11.6
Saginaw-Saginaw Township North, MI 11.8
South Bend-Mishawaka, IN-MI 10.8

Areas in bold (Ann Arbor, Lansing and Kalamazoo) are right at or below the national average of 9.5%. Grand Rapids is slightly below at 10.5%.

In these areas, your target rent is closer to the norm versus the exception.
Ann Arbor would be a great place to live. It has a lot of two bedroom available apartments for less than $700 per month, an unemployment rate well lower than the national average, a low crime rate, an excellent quality of life and great education options with the University of Michigan, and nearby Eastern Michigan University.

Check out the apt links below, a random sampling:
Lakeside living~3rd floor w/ great light~$199 moves you in TODAY! (http://annarbor.craigslist.org/apa/1198290649.html - broken link)
TWO BEDROOM IN GREAT AREA AVAILABLE TODAY! ASK FOR ANDREA (http://annarbor.craigslist.org/apa/1199327761.html - broken link)
1 month free, gas and heat inlcuded (http://annarbor.craigslist.org/apa/1199836759.html - broken link)
Come in and see why our residents love us! (http://annarbor.craigslist.org/apa/1196574270.html - broken link)

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or