U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:57 PM

32 posts, read 59,523 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in SC (upstate), and looking for a better and safer place to live, as my current area is being overwhelmed with crime. I've narrowed it down to several states (Oregon, Michigan, California, Washington, Kentucky and Colorado), but I'm pretty much stick at this point. Picking states was easy, cities aren't as easy it seems. Could I please get some advice on which cities would be best for moving to, as well as cheaper, as I'm on a fixed income (social security). I'd be moving with my mother, and we'd need at least a 2BR, 1BA, 900+ sqft for $700 or less with cheapish utilities. I'll be starting college after moving, so a close college is a plus. I'm not asking for this work to be done for me, but in my opinion, the residents of a city know better than anything i can find in any brochure or chamber of commerce website, so if you could tell me what cities are good/safe/cheap, and what parts of these cities are better, and where I should stay away from, that'd be amazing. Please be honest with what I should expect. Last time someone told us an area was safe, our car was broken into within a week, twice. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 08:11 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,359,787 times
That's a rather diverse assortment of states you've picked. Any reason behind those particular six? Consider that in-state tuition will be much cheaper, but that you'll have to establish a year's residency in the state of your choice. You would do well to get on craigslist and start looking at rent prices in the states of your choice. You'll need to narrow your field a bit by telling us more of what you need and are looking for. Good luck!

Old 06-03-2009, 08:16 PM

716 posts, read 2,482,963 times
There is no such thing as "safe". You'll find good and bad areas in all the states you mentioned. And here in OR $700/mo puts you in the less desirable areas at least in the metropolitan areas.

You might want to look at McMinnville. It's far enough from Portland that the commuters haven't moved in and it has a college and it's not known for high crime.

Good luck.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
That's a rather diverse assortment of states you've picked. Any reason behind those particular six? Consider that in-state tuition will be much cheaper, but that you'll have to establish a year's residency in the state of your choice. You would do well to get on craigslist and start looking at rent prices in the states of your choice. You'll need to narrow your field a bit by telling us more of what you need and are looking for. Good luck!

Thanks for the good luck Yes, I understand the in state tuition issue, and I've taken that into account. It's not that I chose these states, it's more that I chose which states I did NOT want to move to, whether it be for crime, past experiences, weather, etc. For college, I'll be going into computer networking. Craigslist has not really helped me much when I looked there.

X

Old 06-03-2009, 08:19 PM

14,026 posts, read 32,950,360 times
Corvallis also has a lower crime rate and OSU is there. Monmouth is a nice, very small town near Salem that has Western Oregon University. That might be a good choice too.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
There is no such thing as "safe". You'll find good and bad areas in all the states you mentioned. And here in OR $700/mo puts you in the less desirable areas at least in the metropolitan areas.

You might want to look at McMinnville. It's far enough from Portland that the commuters haven't moved in and it has a college and it's not known for high crime.

Good luck.

Thank you for that info. I had looked at Albany, but after seeing a few posts on here about a growing meth problem there, I decided against that. As for safe, I probably should have worded that "safer than other areas."

Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 PM

14,026 posts, read 32,950,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaethyx View Post
Thank you for that info. I had looked at Albany, but after seeing a few posts on here about a growing meth problem there, I decided against that. As for safe, I probably should have worded that "safer than other areas."
McMinnville is not Albany. Linfield College is in McMinnville and its a good solid town.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 PM

2,903 posts, read 11,452,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaethyx View Post
I'm currently in SC (upstate), and looking for a better and safer place to live, as my current area is being overwhelmed with crime. I've narrowed it down to several states (Oregon, Michigan, California, Washington, Kentucky and Colorado), but I'm pretty much stick at this point. Picking states was easy, cities aren't as easy it seems. Could I please get some advice on which cities would be best for moving to, as well as cheaper, as I'm on a fixed income (social security). I'd be moving with my mother, and we'd need at least a 2BR, 1BA, 900+ sqft for $700 or less with cheapish utilities. I'll be starting college after moving, so a close college is a plus. I'm not asking for this work to be done for me, but in my opinion, the residents of a city know better than anything i can find in any brochure or chamber of commerce website, so if you could tell me what cities are good/safe/cheap, and what parts of these cities are better, and where I should stay away from, that'd be amazing. Please be honest with what I should expect. Last time someone told us an area was safe, our car was broken into within a week, twice. Thanks in advance for your help.
Yes, like snort said that's a diverse and interesting choice of states.
With that fixed and relatively low budget i'd forget California as the places that i'd recommend would not be suitable for your budget restrictions.
Since Oregon is on your list, have you considered Bend.
Although i do hear good things about Chico, CA and i think that it's relatively inexpensive.
Here's a link to Craigslist apt/housing for rent in Bend.
bend apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist
There is a state U there but as Snort said, you will have to establish your residency wherever you go.
Check out Craigslist. You can get a sense of what the cost of living (re; rent) anywhere in the country.
I have never been to Bend but i've heard good things about it.
Good luck.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Corvallis also has a lower crime rate and OSU is there. Monmouth is a nice, very small town near Salem that has Western Oregon University. That might be a good choice too.

I'll also take a look at those areas, thank you for the help. Its much easier looking at a specific city than looking at a whole state and trying to narrow it down. Thank you

Old 06-03-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
McMinnville is not Albany. Linfield College is in McMinnville and its a good solid town.

Yes, I understand that, I was just stating that was an area I had previously looked at, thats what made me decide to post this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or