U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 03:42 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,207,379 times

Advertisements

most of you *******s will be dead!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 08:28 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,979,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp
I'll finally have my freakin' flying car.
Finally?

Dude, I had mine since 1997. Where have you been??

Old 06-06-2009, 05:42 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,621,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Finally?

Dude, I had mine since 1997. Where have you been??
What??? I demand to know the name of your dealership! This isn't fair!

Old 06-07-2009, 04:05 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,979,765 times
^^^ Well, it is called, "Having friends in high places."

Old 06-09-2009, 01:15 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,170,095 times
Looks like about 2/3 to 3/4 of the US may have a "year without a summer" - based on current hemispheric weather patterns, and the long range forecast. Imagine if this happens for several years straight. Imagine impacts on the world food supply. I understand NW Europe may have a similar challenge this year.

Also, food shortages make nations who are in areas with marginal ag land (Russia? China? others) more likely to risk hostile acquisitions of better land. Hungry people are risk takers.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:06 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,636,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Looks like about 2/3 to 3/4 of the US may have a "year without a summer" - based on current hemispheric weather patterns, and the long range forecast. Imagine if this happens for several years straight. Imagine impacts on the world food supply. I understand NW Europe may have a similar challenge this year.

Also, food shortages make nations who are in areas with marginal ag land (Russia? China? others) more likely to risk hostile acquisitions of better land. Hungry people are risk takers.
I'm OK with a cool summer. So far in the Chicago area it's been quite comfortable. No major outbreaks of heat yet.

I would assume that global warming alarmists would definitely not like to see cool summers.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,096,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I would assume that global warming alarmists would definitely not like to see cool summers.
Oh, good god. Let's not go there, because this sentence alone indicates you have no real knowledge to contribute to the discussion. Perhaps we can stick to the OP and discuss development and our place in the global hierarchy.

To that end, I do think the US stands a chance of slipping in stature. Think about it. What brought our stature to the level we're at now? Why are we right now number one? We're number one because Britain slipped. They lost their empire from World War I through WWII. They lost their means of production and their access to raw materials. In the US, we've overlegislated and limited access to raw materials for environmental reasons (rightly or wrongly - different debate for a different forum) and have lost that edge to the developing world. We've lost that to countries who couldn't care less about Kyoto or safe working conditions. Incrementally, we're shipping our manufacturing elsewhere too. We're losing the supply side of economics and the production side of goods. We may be on the demand side and the consumption side, but we aren't generating the basic income that supports the foundation of any economy.

In a very basic sense, it take ten workers to support one manager. It takes ten managers to support one owner. In a country that's expected to have close to 500 million in population by 2050, we need to be able to place the working class into jobs. If we don't get overseas outsourcing under control quickly, we may start to see millions migrating to where the jobs are located.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 PM

598 posts, read 1,523,381 times
[quote=TexasTheKid;9224855]
To that end, I do think the US stands a chance of slipping in stature. Think about it. What brought our stature to the level we're at now? Why are we right now number one?
/QUOTE]

Stands a chance of slipping in stature? From a world perspective, we have.

And number one in what exactly? Violent Crime?

Old 06-10-2009, 12:18 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,805,042 times
The US won't be a third world country, nor will it be poor. It's just other countries are also gaining stature relative to us. What will happen is a more multi-polar world with China, Japan, the EU, and the USA / Canada as regional hubs of commerce.

There likely won't be anyone as powerful as the USA anytime soon. 2050 is a long ways out, and I highly doubt anyone can predict what will happen in the next 40 years with any certainty.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:50 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,096,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
And number one in what exactly? Violent Crime?
Yes, considering I wrote about economics, it's reasonable to assume I was actually referring to crime and not economic output. I was trying to be sly, but you saw right through my clever guise.

Way to go. You're yet another person who'd like to turn a reasonable (and actually potentially thought-provoking) discussion into an insipid political shouting match. You do realize there's an entire forum on City-Data dedicated to allowing people to scream until they're blue (or red as the case may be) in the face about how society will cease to function if another group's ideologies are allowed to exist. Here's a link: http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or