U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 04:34 PM

56,617 posts, read 80,910,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You make a good point but, at the same time, crime rates became seriously elevated in this country beginning in the 1960s. As proof, FBI records show that crime rates per 100,000 in this country have doubled since 1960, and show no signs of diminishing. So we can be relativistic all we want, but sheer empirical evidence shows that it's not merely a perception issue.
Crime in terms of what? Homicide? Alcohol related fatalities? Robbery? Theft? etc.....

Check this out: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/hmrttab.htm (broken link)

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/viortrdtab.htm (broken link)

Good website to look at too: http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 04:43 PM

3,133 posts, read 8,335,786 times
The FBI frequently reduces the numbers of murders reported for cities when it publishes it's annual crime report which came out on Monday, June 1. Are they also reducing the numbers in other crimes?

"Contrary to FBI statistics, more than 100 Detroit homicides were left off the books last year,"

Baltimore Crime Beat: Detroit under-reports murder; could overtake Baltimore - Baltimore, Maryland crime news, blogs and video - baltimoresun.com

Old 06-04-2009, 07:49 PM

5,727 posts, read 9,089,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where in the Northeast?
Rural areas in general. The news report did not specify which states or specific counties in states located in the Northeast that were reporting an increase in rural crime.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:27 PM

5,727 posts, read 9,089,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
The FBI frequently reduces the numbers of murders reported for cities when it publishes it's annual crime report which came out on Monday, June 1. Are they also reducing the numbers in other crimes?

"Contrary to FBI statistics, more than 100 Detroit homicides were left off the books last year,"

Baltimore Crime Beat: Detroit under-reports murder; could overtake Baltimore - Baltimore, Maryland crime news, blogs and video - baltimoresun.com
And to reinforce my earlier statement about many crimes going unreported.

A couple of months ago I got rear ended at high speed by a car on a highway in downtown Kansas City. Fortunately I was able to hold the car in the lane and did not lose complete control despite being hit by a car driving at a speed I'd estimate as 60 MPH. Fortunately I was also going nearly as fast, but not quite and it lessened the severity of the impact. The guy that hit me kept driving and I tried to follow him without speeding too much in order to get his license plate and make and model of the car (old beat up model I did not recognize) but he sped off in the dark before I could get any useful info. I knew that that the damage to my car was minimal and as a result I did not bother to report it to the police. I could have reported it but without the make and model of the car or a valid license plate and no apparent witnesses willing to talk, there is no way they could have found that car since it was not visibly damaged to any great extent.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:40 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,049,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You make a good point but, at the same time, crime rates became seriously elevated in this country beginning in the 1960s. As proof, FBI records show that crime rates per 100,000 in this country have doubled since 1960, and show no signs of diminishing. So we can be relativistic all we want, but sheer empirical evidence shows that it's not merely a perception issue.
I would agree. Those who say that the good old days in American cities are a myth don't know their history.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:16 PM
pkt

7 posts, read 15,747 times
part if not all of the reason crime is so bad is there are so many non americans here, problems, problems problems, yes, americans are causing problems too but there is toomuch crap going on with the others, i am so so so tired of illegals here with no driver license, no insurance, warrants for their arrest on file, and yet they are driving drunk, etc.. and having wrecks every day and who is paying, We are, i never thought i would see the country in the shape we are in today. it is sad and depressing. no one care s about the kids who are fighting the wars for us and that is so sad to me.
they are fighting for US to have freedom. no one cares which is so so sad.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:42 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,233,410 times
While the "stats" show that certain crimes in Atlanta have dropped, there have been increases in other crimes that involve gangs/kids using guns to rob/burglarize people. We are in the middle of several higher-profile crimes right now where groups of heavily armed thugs will rob people (sometimes groups of people) in broad daylight, even shooting the person(s) who comply with their demands. What was once a nervous kid with a hand BB gun are now kids with AK47s and large SUVs.

Prediction: As time goes on, people will begin to migrate out of many of the larger cities and back to Exurbs or suburbs that are much further out than before, if their occupations will allow for it. A reversal of trends in many areas that have gone on for a long time. At some point (when? 10 years, 25?) there will come a time where youth crime is SO bad, the Federal Government will have to step in with some sort of Federal Police force to "take back" many cities from the criminals. Sounds almost like a sci-fi movie, but I honestly DO think that one day it will come to this.

We now have kids as young as 13 and 14 participating in home invasions, car jackings, and even rapes here. It's not an everyday news story, but it was a completely foreign concept a few years ago, and now does happen more and more frequently. So what will we see when the NEXT generation of street kids grow up? Gangs of 8 years olds with semi-automatics roaming the streets taking out random people because the ice cream truck is late and they're bored? No one is really addressing this problem, from any level of Government to community leaders, so it will get worse, and they will get younger.

Yep - times are gonna get very interesting to say the least (Thunderdome theme song in background).

Old 06-05-2009, 07:18 AM

3,070 posts, read 10,704,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post

The FBI did that same type of thing for many other cities as well. I dont know if its the FBI lying about it or the Police Department giving them the wrong numbers.

One that I know specifically is Cleveland. If you check Clevelands page on here it says that Cleveland had 75 murders in 2006 and 90 murders in 2007. It actually had 119 murders in 2006 and 135 murders in 2007. I dont know how they expect people to address the crime problem if theyre lying about it.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Rural areas in general. The news report did not specify which states or specific counties in states located in the Northeast that were reporting an increase in rural crime.
You have to find that report for me. I find that interesting, because I saw an article about crime from NYC moving into the Pocono Mtn. region of PA.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
While the "stats" show that certain crimes in Atlanta have dropped, there have been increases in other crimes that involve gangs/kids using guns to rob/burglarize people. We are in the middle of several higher-profile crimes right now where groups of heavily armed thugs will rob people (sometimes groups of people) in broad daylight, even shooting the person(s) who comply with their demands. What was once a nervous kid with a hand BB gun are now kids with AK47s and large SUVs.

Prediction: As time goes on, people will begin to migrate out of many of the larger cities and back to Exurbs or suburbs that are much further out than before, if their occupations will allow for it. A reversal of trends in many areas that have gone on for a long time. At some point (when? 10 years, 25?) there will come a time where youth crime is SO bad, the Federal Government will have to step in with some sort of Federal Police force to "take back" many cities from the criminals. Sounds almost like a sci-fi movie, but I honestly DO think that one day it will come to this.

We now have kids as young as 13 and 14 participating in home invasions, car jackings, and even rapes here. It's not an everyday news story, but it was a completely foreign concept a few years ago, and now does happen more and more frequently. So what will we see when the NEXT generation of street kids grow up? Gangs of 8 years olds with semi-automatics roaming the streets taking out random people because the ice cream truck is late and they're bored? No one is really addressing this problem, from any level of Government to community leaders, so it will get worse, and they will get younger.

Yep - times are gonna get very interesting to say the least (Thunderdome theme song in background).
Actually, I think crime will move further out(if that is what you are talking about) due to things like gentrification, the tearing down of low income housing projects and in turn, having a reversal of migration in terms of metro areas. It is happening already and some examples are with Prince George's County MD inside of the Beltway, some cities in the Bay Area and even in cities like Portland OR and Buffalo NY. This is will vary depending on how much impact the gentrification occurs, but it is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.