U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:20 PM

4,625 posts, read 8,871,225 times

Advertisements

I watched a video on National Geographic channel tonight profiling LA Gangs. It sure doesn't look like anything's gotten any better. Just a bunch of kids caught hopelessly and helplessly in a war zone in LA that encompasses more area than the whole of Washington DC. The video enrages, saddens, and terrifies me. Here's a clip. It only scratches the surface of the hour long special.

Inside | L.A. Gang Wars | National Geographic Channel (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/inside/3477/Overview#tab-Videos/05562_00 - broken link)

Look at the weapons! These kids outgun the cops. What's to be done here? The gang leader is only 30 - and he's like the Dad to all these boys. He's actually been shot like 7 times. What kinda of hope is there for him or his poor sorry heavily armed daycare group? I'll bet the Gaza strip is safer. It's a real horror show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:31 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,104,385 times
Expect to see this scenario move into most urban areas of the country in the years ahead as society continues to break apart and our quality of life continues its downward spiral.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 06-04-2009 at 08:20 AM..

Old 06-04-2009, 07:56 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,234,047 times
yup WILW's right. this happened in my neighborhood last weekend:

Youths rampage in South Phila.

By DAFNEY TALES
Philadelphia Daily News

Authorities are searching for a tech-savvy mob of teens who used online social networking sites to terrorize a South Philadelphia neighborhood Saturday night, police said.
More than 100 youths arranged via unspecified Internet-based means to meet on South Street near Broad about midnight, swarming the area and leading to a melee that ended only after the mob had hijacked a taxi, pulled a woman from her car and assaulted her, and ransacked a convenience store, police said.

Youths rampage in South Phila. | Philadelphia Daily News | 06/01/2009 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/46605167.html?cmpid=15585797 - broken link)

Old 06-04-2009, 08:21 AM

John. I wish I wasn't right. A guy I know in California told me things are getting really bad there and he is ready to get he and his family out of there.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:41 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,804,364 times
Well, it boils down to a wholesale societal failure. Not of the safety net, but rather of the people themselves to ensure that their own communities are stable.

It begins with the fact that virtually nobody in those neighborhoods have two-parent households anymore. Sorry, but for every heartwarming Movie Of The Week story you hear about the single mom who raised 3-4 kids to go on to medical school, there are a hundred families where that simply did not happen. For raising a child is a tough, 18-year-long slog that is time consuming and expensive. Add two more to the equation, and it's an almost insurmountable task by oneself, which means the children become the problem that everyone else has to deal with. Yet we as a society--and inner city communities in particular--have essentially declared that criticizing single parenthood is taboo, when that is probably the most destabilizing element of all.

Add to it the fact that our culture is apparently asleep at the switch when it comes to what kids watch and hear. Ever really listen to Rap lyrics and their glorification of violence? Ever devote a few minutes to watching MTV? Ever watch a kid play Grand Theft Auto? Now, you might make the case that, individually, none of those things make a kid immediately go out and stick up a 7/11 or gun down somebody on the sidewalk. However, I would argue that the cumulative weight of these influences is a desensitizing force in our children's lives. Yet if one argues against rap or GTO, the media condemn you as a puritan or a public scold. Gosh, wouldn't want to deny these kids their fun, after all.

Well, there's a saying that you are what you eat. And the corollary to that is you are what you watch and hear. And while leaders in these community will (rightfully) lead a march if some cops brutalize a suspect, how come they do not muster the same vigilance in creating neighborhood watches and shaming parents into doing a better job raising kids?

Last edited by cpg35223; 06-04-2009 at 09:06 AM..

Old 06-04-2009, 08:58 AM

2,242 posts, read 5,563,101 times
Chicago

Old 06-04-2009, 09:56 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,266,294 times
A student of mine from this year, only 6 years old, was involved in a gang. They moved to a better section of the city though. They probably knew he was involved in them. I told the guidance counselor multiple times and nothing was ever done. He told me stories of how he and his brother (who is 9 I think) stealing from cars, getting beaten up by rival gangs, etc. Well, that's what street life is like in the south Bronx. I'm going to try and transfer to a better area of the city.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:27 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,033,247 times
In 2008, violent crime fell 2.5 percent and property crime dropped by 1.6 percent.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
In 2008, violent crime fell 2.5 percent and property crime dropped by 1.6 percent.
Unfortunately many crimes go unreported and in some cases, undetected for extended periods of time. They can publish statistics about how crime has allegedly dropped in urban areas but that does not mean they are entirely accurate. A perfect example of this is the manner in which the government tracks the unemployed. Only people collecting Unemployment benefits are counted. Once you drop off the payroll you are no longer counted. And the criteria used for keeping track of the unemployed is different than it was just 25 years ago. Today, unemployment is probably twice as high as what is actually being reported.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:37 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,033,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Unfortunately many crimes go unreported and in some cases, undetected for extended periods of time. They can publish statistics about how crime has allegedly dropped in urban areas but that does not mean they are entirely accurate. A perfect example of this is the manner in which the government tracks the unemployed. Only people collecting Unemployment benefits are counted. Once you drop off the payroll you are no longer counted. And the criteria used for keeping track of the unemployed is different than it was just 25 years ago. Today, unemployment is probably twice as high as what is actually being reported.
As long as they continue to report consistently the same way as they did last year, then it should be fairly accurate, especially when looking at the nation as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.