U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you get to work
Walk 5 6.02%
Bike 5 6.02%
Drive/Carpool 37 44.58%
Bus 5 6.02%
Subway/Train/Light Rail 23 27.71%
Taxi 0 0%
Combination 6 7.23%
Other 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:04 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,155,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
In big cities like NYC, Philly, DC many people go by subways. However if it's in the country by car. Hence, I go by car to work.
You can add Atlanta to that list. Over 300,000 a day here commute by subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 06:13 PM

2,271 posts, read 4,531,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Does the city plan on building more lines?
Yeah, last I heard they've been approved, they just need to get them done.
http://metrosolutions.org/go/site/1068/

Unfortunately, I'm one of the few people who actually has access to the line. (Downtown, Midtown, Montrose). It definitely needs more coverage, and I wish they would have built heavy rail or raised track (you've gotta start somewhere), but ridership is not bad at all (much higher than expected) and it serves me pretty fine when I need to go to work or to a doctor's appointment.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:51 PM

2,380 posts, read 7,765,786 times
I bike commute every work day, except for 3 or 4 days each year when the weather might be really nasty to make it unsafe. It makes the day seem so much better. How many people can say they enjoy their commute to work?

Side note, looking at the poll results, roughly half the people who replied use some means besides one driver in one car to get to work. Can you imagine if this ratio could be transferred across our entire working population? We are a long ways from that but it sure would make a dent in a lot of our energy problems, CO2 into the air and a huge list of other issues if half the commuters in America could figure out how to get to and from work without a car.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:44 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,633,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I bike commute every work day, except for 3 or 4 days each year when the weather might be really nasty to make it unsafe. It makes the day seem so much better. How many people can say they enjoy their commute to work?

Side note, looking at the poll results, roughly half the people who replied use some means besides one driver in one car to get to work. Can you imagine if this ratio could be transferred across our entire working population? We are a long ways from that but it sure would make a dent in a lot of our energy problems, CO2 into the air and a huge list of other issues if half the commuters in America could figure out how to get to and from work without a car.
Actually, I like driving to work in my car. I spend the time in the morning listening to the radio and thinking about the day ahead and gathering my private thoughts together alone. The morning commute is relatively pleasant, but the mid-afternoon drive home isn't quite as enjoyable. I am one person who definitely prefers driving by car to mass transit.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:56 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,223,450 times
I use Transporter Room Three.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:37 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,511,608 times
Take the commuter rail into South Station, then I usually take the subway to my office building. However, if I've got time and it's a nice day, I will walk (about 1.5 miles) through downtown and the Common and into Back Bay. It's a beautiful walk and if I could do it, I would walk to work every day.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:24 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,468,804 times
Walk 2/3 mile each way from home (and back and forth for lunch) year round even when it's 115.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:15 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,333,132 times
If I didn't have to drive across town to work I wouldn't need the car, its the only reason I still need it.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:11 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,081,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Actually, I like driving to work in my car. I spend the time in the morning listening to the radio and thinking about the day ahead and gathering my private thoughts together alone. The morning commute is relatively pleasant, but the mid-afternoon drive home isn't quite as enjoyable. I am one person who definitely prefers driving by car to mass transit.
Yeah me too. I don't know I feel like I'm in control when I'm driving. So yeah I much prefer to drive. Also I'm always running late and hate going by someone else's schedule which why I can't do things like carpool or take the bus. Well I'd just keep missing the darn bus. I remember one cold morning missing the bus three times. Funny I was literally in the street chasing after a bus and a stranger gave me a ride to work. I thought I'd be late but I was right on time. Funny how things work out. Yes yes I should've left the house earlier to catch the bus and when I missed should've just waited for the next bus but I was cold so I went back to the house.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:31 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,161,688 times
7 minute walk to the PATH subway station
18 minute PATH ride
10 minute walk to the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.