U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which measurment system is overall better?
Metric/SI system 57 64.77%
Imperial/U.S. system 31 35.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:49 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,269,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
It wouldn't be that hard. Just teach kids metric, use it in schools and text books, and eventually they would change. When I was young, they gave a half-*ssed attempt at teaching metric. If they would just follow-through, everyone my age would understand metric.
Anyone who works in math, science, and engineering knows things would be easier if everyone understood metric. Partially because everyone else uses it (is it really necessary to declare your patriotism even through your measurement system?!), but even more so because the system MAKES SENSE! It is based on 10's, not 2's. It makes so much more sense. Calculations are so much easier, etc...
There's a reason the US educations sucks at math and science. This is an analogy for US education as a whole. We refuse to look outside our own border for comparisons to keep what works, but also adapt what does.
My school system's Science,Math and Technology departments do things in only metrics because of our schools partnerships with other school corporations around the world. If we went metric tomorrow our entire community would largely be almost ready for it. I understand the metric system thoroughly and I am a junior in high school.

Metric is so much better.

Metric is ahead 61.4% verses Imperial's 38.6%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 06:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
The metric system hands down.

For MANY more reasons than I can care to list:

1. It is simple to use. To convert between cm to mm to m for example you just move the decimal around. The english system is roughly based on threes and when it was developed the system was based on what made sense. Three feet in a yard, 12 inches in a foot, 5280 feet in a mile. Nowadays it just doesn't make sense. There are hundreds of conversions with the English system, the metric system you only have a decimal to move.

2. The metric system is much more standardized. It has become integrated with the ISO system.

3. It is easier to deal with on the foreign trade level.

4. In terms of metrology, there is always something lost in the conversion. The SI unit for length is the meter, the distance light travels within a vacuum for a predetermined length of time.

The old English system is still around because so many Americans, and American companies use it. But in all reality the English system is the more difficult system to use and would be better for manufacturing, quality and international trade for Americans to fully adopt metric as a system.
Definitely agree with you. It is beyond me why North America sticks with the older Imperial system. Wonder if there are any efforts to switch to the more accurate system, hmm?

CMM - Canadian Measurement-Metrology Inc. - Coordinate Measuring Machines

Old 06-23-2014, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 1,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Trooper View Post
My school system's Science,Math and Technology departments do things in only metrics because of our schools partnerships with other school corporations around the world. If we went metric tomorrow our entire community would largely be almost ready for it. I understand the metric system thoroughly and I am a junior in high school.

Metric is so much better.

Metric is ahead 61.4% verses Imperial's 38.6%

Hey Future Trooper,

That's great for your school and community. Other schools across the U.S. need to teach a basic understanding of the metric system.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:23 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,709,147 times
How little has changed in 19 years since this article came out: Go Metric | Penn State University

Old 06-23-2014, 08:44 AM

11,170 posts, read 22,361,018 times
Metric, it's not even a question.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:05 AM

38,690 posts, read 89,161,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMYXZ View Post
Definitely agree with you. It is beyond me why North America sticks with the older Imperial system.
"North America" doesn't stick with it. The USA sticks with it because we're used to it and it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMYXZ View Post
Wonder if there are any efforts to switch to the more accurate system, hmm?
Any serious push to move to the metric system, which by the way is no more or less "accurate" it's just a different system of measurement, died in the late 1970s.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:06 AM

65 posts, read 76,993 times
HATE HATE HATE metric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's just retarded. Period.
It's also UN AMERICAN!

Old 06-23-2014, 02:59 PM

17 posts, read 16,334 times
There is nothing "un-American" about using Metric. It's a system of measurement! "Un-American" would be something like blowing up a building, burning the US flag, or booing during the national anthem. Preferring metric over Imperial isn't un-American at all.

I personally prefer metric because it's a much simpler system for everything. I am big on high-fat/low-carb dieting and when I buy food, I use its weight in grams rather than ounces. If for example I decide to eat 80/20 ground beef and I eat 100 grams, I know that I just ate 20 grams of fat. It's strange that Americans weigh their food in ounces but use grams to measure the amount of fat/protein/carbohydrates.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:19 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,262,003 times
For day-to-day use, Fahrenheit is better than Celsius and the foot is a useful unit of measurement with no popular metric alternative (nobody uses decimeters). Besides that, Metric is clearly better. That said, the Americans that need to know metric (engineers, scientists, doctors, etc) already know it either through extensive schooling/job experience or through plain exposure ( politicians, ambassadors, soldiers, etc). It's not worth the money, time, and effort to teach Joe Shmoe something he doesn't want to learn.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:34 AM

17 posts, read 16,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
For day-to-day use, Fahrenheit is better than Celsius and the foot is a useful unit of measurement with no popular metric alternative (nobody uses decimeters). Besides that, Metric is clearly better. That said, the Americans that need to know metric (engineers, scientists, doctors, etc) already know it either through extensive schooling/job experience or through plain exposure ( politicians, ambassadors, soldiers, etc). It's not worth the money, time, and effort to teach Joe Shmoe something he doesn't want to learn.
We don't have to "teach" them. We simply switch to metric and force Americans to adapt. It's called sink or swim; every other country which adopted metric did it and so can we.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.