Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which measurment system is overall better?
Metric/SI system 57 64.77%
Imperial/U.S. system 31 35.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 02:52 AM

184 posts, read 837,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox2000 View Post
The Imperial system evolved through use so is more user friendly. It is more a base 12 system. 12 is divisable by 2,3,4 and 6 while 10 is only divisable by 2 and 5 (base 16 would have been best). The metric system was concocted. No tradesman would ever come up with millimeters, certainly not before spectacles were invented, they are too hard to count. An inch is a wonderful thing. It can be divided into 1/2,1/4,1/8,1/16,1/32/1/64....it's binary!

Still, if I were dictator, I'd force the US to switch to metric for trade purposes.

edit:

This is what I would have done. Keep the inch and make the foot 16 inches (2^4), dump the yard (tape measures make it obsolete) and make the mile 65536 inches (2^16, very close to the current mile)
Is this a real post or are you just being sarcastic? It's hard to tell.

If you are being serious then I think you are confusing "numbers" with "units" .

Watch this: 12m is divisable by 2,3,4 and 6 while 10 inches is only divisable by 2 and 5. Here is another trick: A millimeter is a wonderful thing. It can be divided into 1/2,1/4,1/8,1/16,1/32/1/64....it's binary!

I'm not trying to argue for or against the metric system here, I just think your rational for why the imperial system is more user friendly has absolutely nothing to do with either system . All you are talking about is simple mathematics, which will be the same regardless of which system you use.

If this was just a joke post, then I'm sorry I couldn't tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 11:25 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,248 times
This is not about American pride and our English measuring system. This is about the international community, ALL who are dedicated to increasing the quality of your product. All the major countries have international labs and standards to abide by, ours being NIST.

Again at some level there is always something lost in the conversion. Especially at the standards level. These numbers may not easily be quantified, but actually trickles down into our products and cost of goods. By using the same measuring system, that uses SI units and has had its standards calibrated and traceable to the international community you ensure that if your company makes a part it will fit in every machine it is designed for across the globe.

Whether you realize it or not, the quality of goods, especially in the past thirty years has increased dramatically. It comes from competition, consumer demand and international trade. The pressure to increase quality has skyrocketed and if you think that just because the old English system is superior than quality must be second hand.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:05 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,061,158 times
Bring on the Cheese!!..lol

I love what you said. You basicly stated why we need to metrify when it comes to economic reasons.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:57 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
I prefer Imperial because when dealing with comparatively small numbers it's easier to use a base-12 system. Why? Because it's easy to divide 12 by thirds and fourths. A base-10 system can only be easily divided into fifths. Try cutting a fifth of a pie. It's an awkward way of thinking about numbers because it's hard to visualize.

For very large numbers, like distances in astronomy, etc., a base-10 system (i.e., metric) is easier. It's just that most of us are not astrophysicists.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:39 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
People are use to our system, but obviously the metric system is easier to use and know if you use it from day 1.

The USA would have actually been fully switched by now, but the changeover was put on the back burner when the oil crisis hit in 1974, and no one has re-addressed the issue. It's mostly a budget issue as far as why we don't change.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:52 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
The U.S. military use the metric system as well as 24 h clock (not p.m. or a.m.).

A link to Wikipedia:

Metrication in the United States

Old 06-19-2009, 09:02 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,998,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
People are use to our system, but obviously the metric system is easier to use and know if you use it from day 1.

The USA would have actually been fully switched by now, but the changeover was put on the back burner when the oil crisis hit in 1974, and no one has re-addressed the issue. It's mostly a budget issue as far as why we don't change.
But it is a long term money saver and will increase quality, which in turn saves money.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:36 PM

3 posts, read 7,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
The U.S. military use the metric system as well as 24 h clock (not p.m. or a.m.).

A link to Wikipedia:

Metrication in the United States
Being a military brat I was brought up using the metric system, but once I started going to school they started shoving the Imperial system down my throat. I constantly used to **** off my teachers by referencing distance in meters, weight in kg's, etc.

Returning to my point, I support the metrication of the U.S., It's by far easier and in the long run will benefit America.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:45 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Who gives a crap about the metric system.. we went through millenniums with hundreds of different languages, i think a couple countries can deal with the already set Imperial system we all grew up into.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:36 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryFloridian View Post
Returning to my point, I support the metrication of the U.S., It's by far easier and in the long run will benefit America.
But most Americans (including myself) don't want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.