U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 11:25 PM

28,211 posts, read 47,623,364 times

Advertisements

You may already have seen an ominous looking radar and camera perched atop a traffic light in your neighborhood. And almost all drivers have seen a patrol car cruising a freeway looking for speeders, or a law-enforcement officer standing at the side of a road wielding a radar gun.

But most have yet to see a freeway speed camera, which are common in Europe but currently are operated in just two U.S. states.

Speed cameras on U.S. highways? - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 12:41 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,137,254 times
We have them in New Orleans. They have red light cameras that will also get you if you go 5 over the limit through the intersection on green and they have just plain speed cameras in school zones and after a few expressway exits. In other parts of Louisiana they have redflex? vans that just drive around all day on the interstate photographing speeders.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:20 AM

186 posts, read 572,882 times
WestbankNOLA - Albuquerque has the same stuff. They have these speed vans that cruise the freeway and school zones catching people who speed.

The red light cameras catch you if you're speeding, too....So, if the light turns yellow you are screwed - do you speed to beat the red light (and get a ticket), do you second guess yourself and later decide to run the red light (and get a ticket) or do you slam on your breaks and let the car behind you slam into you (and not get a ticket).

Tough situation.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:10 AM

5,727 posts, read 9,092,123 times
Look for accidents to increase in some of the places where these cameras are located. There have been countless cases where I personally have had to speed up to avoid a collision on a road. If I didn't speed up then I would have either have been rear ended or side swiped. Another stupid idea from a bunch of control freaks looking to make money off the general public.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:09 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,727,586 times
I love Big Brother!!!!!!!

This is just one more step in the process of turning "traffic enforcement" into "revenue generation." Don't go after the graffiti artists and tweaker theives, because they don't have money. Spend your time writing traffic citations to pay for all your goofy government projects.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:29 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,631,997 times
Depending on where you are, some of these cameras only take pictures on the license plate and not who is driving. So you can basically throw out the ticket if this is the case. Unless they can prove it was you driving, you can just ignore the ticket.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:30 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,053,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loboABQ View Post
WestbankNOLA - Albuquerque has the same stuff. They have these speed vans that cruise the freeway and school zones catching people who speed.

The red light cameras catch you if you're speeding, too....So, if the light turns yellow you are screwed - do you speed to beat the red light (and get a ticket), do you second guess yourself and later decide to run the red light (and get a ticket) or do you slam on your breaks and let the car behind you slam into you (and not get a ticket).

Tough situation.
I sometimes slam on my brakes when I see a yellow light. But the place I live now doesn't have any cameras that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.