U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 18,211,511 times
Reputation: 2641

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
How about when your coworker carries around the bible when he walks around the office, and has their desktop full of bible quotes on a corporate computer?
Welcome to the deep south.
ok now that's freaky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Omaha
2,716 posts, read 6,215,196 times
Reputation: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
That's why I clarified what I said by saying it's ok in someone's home. Outside the home and church is when I don't think it's good to do, because you never know what religion people are or what God they pray to.
I would agree that its "ok", but it doesn't make it any less uncomfortable for their non-practicing guests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,567,618 times
Reputation: 5662
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I have never seen this here, but I agree - that is what I consider wearing your religion on your sleeve. I don't think it should be allowed. You do NOT mix religion with the workplace.
Well this guy commutes from Quitman, Georgia. It is also a professional State of FL office...
I've never had a problem at peoples houses, I'm just like ...whatever. I view it more as cultural aspects as many cultures are really tied to religion. I mean it is nothing near the stuff experienced in Muslim africa... where you hear ALLLAHHHHH AKBARRRR playing 5 times a day over a citywide intercom system, w/ people stopping in traffic to pray on a mat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,240,132 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
I would agree that its "ok", but it doesn't make it any less uncomfortable for their non-practicing guests.
True, that's basically what I've been trying to say. I've been to people's houses where they pray before dinner, and I respect it, but i'm a little uncomfortable by it since I'm not used to doing it. Doesn't mean I won't bow my head during prayer. But if I were religious and had guests over that I knew weren't religious, I wouldn't pray while I had them over since I wouldn't want to make them uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Omaha
2,716 posts, read 6,215,196 times
Reputation: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
True, that's basically what I've been trying to say. I've been to people's houses where they pray before dinner, and I respect it, but i'm a little uncomfortable by it since I'm not used to doing it. Doesn't mean I won't bow my head during prayer. But if I were religious and had guests over that I knew weren't religious, I wouldn't pray while I had them over since I wouldn't want to make them uncomfortable.
K, we seem to have the same opinion of that then. I'm not at all against religion, just very unfamiliar with it.

I think the most uncomfortable I've ever been was to a church my ex's family brought me to. They had this weird singing thing followed by hugs and handshakes for everyone sitting near you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:25 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,970,555 times
Reputation: 1661
I don't know how many of you remember this, but there was an instance of a pilot of a large commerical airline who got on the PA system, in flight, and asked the passengers to pray with him. Apart from it being very unprofessional, think how you would feel at 50,000 feet if the pilot began praying? Our pilot is praying. Does he know something we don't know? Have we been hijacked? Is this plane going to crash? Are we going to die? That pilot caused panic among his passengers.

He had to publicly apologize. The airline had to publicly apologize. Very, very bad judgment on that pilot's part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Omaha
2,716 posts, read 6,215,196 times
Reputation: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I don't know how many of you remember this, but there was an instance of a pilot of a large commerical airline who got on the PA system, in flight, and asked the passengers to pray with him. Apart from it being very unprofessional, think how you would feel at 50,000 feet if the pilot began praying? Our pilot is praying. Does he know something we don't know? Have we been hijacked? Is this plane going to crash? Are we going to die? That pilot caused panic among his passengers.

He had to publicly apologize. The airline had to publicly apologize. Very, very bad judgment on that pilot's part.
Ha, I would have been pissed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:38 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,970,555 times
Reputation: 1661
Default When they had their feet on sold ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Ha, I would have been pissed.

that was exactly those passengers reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 03:04 PM
 
Location: where my heart is
5,642 posts, read 7,970,555 times
Reputation: 1661
Default Catholic Mass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
K, we seem to have the same opinion of that then. I'm not at all against religion, just very unfamiliar with it.

I think the most uncomfortable I've ever been was to a church my ex's family brought me to. They had this weird singing thing followed by hugs and handshakes for everyone sitting near you.
Peace be to you. And also with you. Then people say peace and shake hands with those around them.

It's fairly new. They never used to do that years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 PM
 
117 posts, read 321,564 times
Reputation: 149
This thread which originally asked a good thoughtful question has now digressed to the standard South/Christian bashing. Do you ever see any Christians on here bashing people for not praying before a meal or any other time for that matter -
you do not. These posters wouldn't feel comfortable with the US Senate either, because they begin every session with prayer. If someone praying in their own home before a meal is the complaint you decide to write about on here, that's very petty. Should they complain if they go to your house and you don't pray before you eat - they would feel just as uncomfortable, but it's always the Christian who has no consideration or tolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top