U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 09:43 AM

5,728 posts, read 9,093,479 times

Advertisements

The people in the Kansas City area certainly are not too comfortable with my culture and way of life. Being a non conformist, conservative with libertarian leanings does not sit well with these conformist neo conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 10:10 AM

147 posts, read 539,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Peace be to you. And also with you. Then people say peace and shake hands with those around them.

It's fairly new. They never used to do that years ago.

I am 44 years old and we have been giving each other the sign of peace my whole entire life. It is a way to commune and make peace with your fellow man before communion (coming together in union)
I have noticed some priests (especially during cold and flu season) will say "Peace be with you" and not say "now offer each other a sign of peace".

Why do this?

Okay, my friend who is your friend invites me to your house. I shake hands with you and you with me. We offer each other a greeting and a sign before we break bread together.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:50 PM

16,960 posts, read 22,277,190 times
I don't feel entirely comfortable in my home state except in certain portions. Mainly because of the large number of non-natives bringing in ways and attitudes alien to a native VT'er like myself...

When I was in Alaska I felt at home. In Northern Maine I feel the same. In the Northeast Kingdom and a handful of small areas elsewhere in VT where "flatlanders" are uncommon or their influence small, I feel quite comfortable. Burlington, Brattleboro (and nearly all of Southern VT for that matter), and other such areas...I the native VT'er feel like an outsider. Weird really and I know I'm not alone here in that...

Old 04-03-2010, 09:50 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,233,285 times
Call me an idiot, but I've never felt at home anywhere I've lived. Of course, I've only lived in Kentucky...all over Kentucky, but never outside of it.

I've felt more at home in Texas and parts of California, though, and ultimately will live in either or both of those states.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:31 AM

18 posts, read 24,283 times
I moved from MI to SC about 7 months ago, and it is A LOT different...the people, the weather, the culture. I don't necessarily want to move back to MI but I am definitely going to move back to the Midwest. I just think that wherever you grow up, that certain way of life will always feel more familiar to you than somewhere that you have to adjust to. I personally don't like the "Southern" mindset.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:55 AM

1,877 posts, read 3,726,493 times
I was born and raised until age 14 in Wisconsin, then moved to Montana. I attempted a move back at age 18, which only lasted a year and a half. I had to move back to Montana and back to my mom, because of young adult immaturity. I was irresponsible in virtually every area of my life. Too much partying not enough getting to work on time - I think that sums it all up.

I've lived in Montana ever since. Too many years. I was very resistant as a kid. I moved here thinking "I'm moving back the minute I graduate." And I pretty much did. So I didn't give it a chance as a kid, and I do regret not having more quality high school years as a result. After falling flat on my face and returning to Montana a second time, I did give it more of a chance. Even almost got engaged at one point. I switched to a real "home is what you make it" attitude, which worked for a while. Eventually though, I just could not deny the fact that Montana will never feel like home to me. It's beautiful in a lot of aspects, it is just not my cup of tea. I'm over how spread out it is. I'm over how you have to drive miles to get anywhere. And when you DO get to your destination, it's no more exciting than the place you left. There's really no big anything here. It's a cool place to vacation - if you like the outdoors and/or Old West History. But other than that, I find it an impractical/pointless place to live. It's all what's important to you personally. If you love the outdoors but also love the city, Montana's not really for you. You see, I'm not a "city girl" but I DO like easy access to a large city whenever I'd like. I don't know how I'd do in a large city full-time, but I do like what big cities have to offer, on occasion. I'm a music fan and concert goer especially, and good shows are not easy to come by in Montana. Where I grew up in Wisconsin is pretty rural, but the Twin Cities were only a couple hours away. And Madison, only a couple more.

There are other aspects too. I think the people are friendlier in Wisconsin, it's definitely greener with more water, and it's just Home. That's something I cannot describe. We all know what feels like Home to us and what doesn't. But the problem is over, I'm moving back tomorrow. And this time there'll be no irresponsible kid-trying-to-be-an-adult issues. lol

Old 10-08-2010, 12:30 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,966,706 times
She wants to move back to Newark because she misses the scenery? I guess if you like airplanes
Trust me, Newark has a certain charm about it in some areas, but it takes a lot to WANT to move back to Newark. The Newark area (Montclair, West Orange, Verona etc) are all nice though- I feel like that's what you meant.

But yes, I'd have a hard time moving out more than 6 hours from "home"- I don't like the idea of me leaving and starting a new life with new people far out of the way from any close family and friends.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:35 PM

276 posts, read 418,096 times
I lived in Charlotte for 5 years and hate it.

I can't afford to move back to Boston.

I wish there were a place that was warm, affordable, and had people living in the 21st Century. I don't know where that place is.

The Culture War is real. My hope is to find a single-wide out in the woods, and simply live like a hermit.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:46 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,026,385 times
I've lived in a variety of different states and different cultures. I consider both Southern California and Downstate NY (mid hudson Valley, NYC, LI) as Home, but never felt out of place in Pittsburgh , DC or West Virginia

I moved to the Saint Louis Area and for two years and absolutely hated it. Most arse backwards place I ever lived.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:45 PM

318 posts, read 762,428 times
I grew up in and around Detroit, but I've also lived in Florida, Wisconsin, Ohio, and now now that I'm an adult, I'm going to school in rural Colorado and have studied abroad a bit in Africa.

I miss Detroit all of the time. I learned to see the beauty of the ghettos I lived in and somehow, I have a longing to go back. I usually visit at one time or another during my Christmas vacations each year, but it's never quite the same. My family doesn't even live there anymore, so it isn't about them. I grew to like the ghetto, what can I say. For me, it's about my environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or