Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't know why certain posters always seem to turn threads into north vs. south or blue vs. red. It shouldn't be a surprise.
Because other certain posters knowingly do that. I'm not turning it into that, but if other people want to play that game I will.

And don't give that BS Rachael. You know you are one of the main ones leading the south bashing threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 11:36 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Because other certain posters knowingly do that. I'm not turning it into that, but if other people want to play that game I will.

And don't give that BS Rachael. You know you are one of the main ones leading the south bashing threads.
Tell it!

Old 06-15-2009, 11:36 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Grace is not freaky, but as a religious person (if you are), think of how you would feel if you went to dinner at an Athiest's home and they attempted to push their beliefs on you. How would you feel? That said, if you're in someone else's home, be respectful of their beliefs even if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

It has nothing to do with North v South or Blue v Red (but I'm not surprised you try to make it such an issue), but it's an issue of tolerance, acceptance and open-mindedness. Me? I sit through Grace during many meals with my extended family. I'm not religious, but I do accept it although I'm not one to lead "Grace".
I don't know how much you read a lot of these threads on here but i'm not the one making this a North vs South issue. I simply respond to those that pretend that the south is the only region in that has problems and I use their own logic against them. I never started any of this on purpose. Things were actually getting better for a while but then someone started a "most overrated region" thread and things got bad again.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:38 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
^^So this didn't instigate a north vs. south argument????

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Such a liberal and accepting northerner.
Why not face it that you northerners are just as xenophobic and intolerant as a lot of the southerners and conservatives

Old 06-15-2009, 11:52 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,405 times
Quote:
Well I wouldn't mind it if it were in someone's home. They can choose what to do in their home. But outside of the home (besides church) is when it might be disrespectful.
Quote:
But it's kind of disprespectful to just break out into prayer and assume the other person is going to join you or listen to you. This is a touchy subject with people.
Ahem, if its MY house and MY food, I'll say grace with or without company at the table. My house, my rules.
If visiting, I'll quietly drop my head in a short, silent prayer over my meal. Nobody is expected to go along with it.

If my host/hostess disapproves of my doing so, there's a simple solution. Dont invite me again.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:03 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Ahem, if its MY house and MY food, I'll say grace with or without company at the table. My house, my rules.
If visiting, I'll quietly drop my head in a short, silent prayer over my meal. Nobody is expected to go along with it.

If my host/hostess disapproves of my doing so, there's a simple solution. Dont invite me again.
That's why I clarified what I said by saying it's ok in someone's home. Outside the home and church is when I don't think it's good to do, because you never know what religion people are or what God they pray to.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:04 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default Nobody can know what you are thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post

You can put your head down, think about the weather, your mortgage payment, whatever, and nobody will know the difference. You just be quiet and show respect to your host who invited you into their home. If it really bothers you, don't go back anymore.

As I said in another post, in a public professional circumstance that is a different matter.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:10 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
How about when your coworker carries around the bible when he walks around the office, and has their desktop full of bible quotes on a corporate computer?
Or how about the overly religious coworker, who has been told by management he can get a raise if he gets a certification, but opts out because he doesn't believe in non religious forms of education.
Welcome to the deep south.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:11 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
i agree. there's nothing wrong with doing it in private. i exaggerated about the "freaky" part. it's fine in a home just as long as i'm not required to partake. and it doesn't exceed 2 mins

and fyi - i'm technically a methodist

Old 06-15-2009, 12:12 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
How about when your coworker carries around the bible when he walks around the office, and has their desktop full of bible quotes on a corporate computer?
Welcome to the deep south.
I have never seen this here, but I agree - that is what I consider wearing your religion on your sleeve. I don't think it should be allowed. You do NOT mix religion with the workplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.