U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:39 PM

3,597 posts, read 7,704,551 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Chicago. I now live in Los Angeles. Before that, I lived in Sao Paulo, Paris, London, Tokyo and NYC.

I can't really say that leaving the midwest has made me any happier of a person. If there's one truth to this world of ours, it's that there is no such thing as a definite positive. Everywhere you go, you will find drawbacks. I believe it is merely better hidden in regions of temperate, lush climates. But it is there and it is every bit as severe and recognizable as the problems you left "back home".

I still consider Chicago to be the heart of what I love about a city. It really offered something no other city does; and lord knows, it certainly has its problems.

It may surprise some here to learn that many people actually choose to live the way that they do, where they do, for whatever reason. If you think that being in a different profession in a different region is going to make you any happier, you're in for a very nasty surprise... and a hell of a lot of boredom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 03:55 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
I am definitely glad I left the lower Midwest. I didn't like the climate much at all, the poor economy (a few years ago), nor the strange social climate that is strongly influenced by the surrounding rural areas. If I were to move back to the Midwest I would only consider the upper Midwest.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:32 PM

14 posts, read 11,016 times
Default houston oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
I like the Midwest. Most places in that region are more openminded than those in the Northeast and the people are friendlier. Would take the midwest over the Northeast anyday

I would not mind living there at all
In the small towns of new jersey you'll find people who are exactly like midwesteners. Not only that,but i always get mad that new jersey is treated as if its a million miles from the midwest. new jersey is only 5 hours from an area called the midwest. New Jersey like most of the midwest was 'rust belt'. When i was in New Jersey ,people would smile at me,help me even if i didn't ask, They would strike up conversations with me . This is from my expierence. I researched that small town people in the midwest and 'northeast' are similar to eachother. So let's drop the New Jersey rude thing. Midwesteners and New Jersyans are similar (btw since people claim that philadelphia buffalo and pittsburgh are the midwest I say western nj can be considered the midwest since it is only 4 hours from both of those cities and a part of philadelphia,plus it's almost an hour to the ocean,maybe i am wrong) If not i invite every midwestener living in Ohio/Indiana/MIchigan/Iowa and Wisconsin to come to Old Bridge New Jersey, Parlin New Jersey, Holmdel New Jersey, Millville,Smithville New Jersey, Hoptacong New Jersey, Englishtown New jersey and see if I am right. The only rude people you'll see won't be the jersyans. This is my opinion and i welcome others.

Last edited by nosajgk2009; 12-21-2009 at 05:45 PM..

Old 12-21-2009, 04:38 PM

14 posts, read 11,016 times
Default USa

Also, they call NJ the sticks for a reason

Last edited by nosajgk2009; 12-21-2009 at 05:44 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 06:42 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,420,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I'm originally from Chicago. I now live in Los Angeles. Before that, I lived in Sao Paulo, Paris, London, Tokyo and NYC.

I can't really say that leaving the midwest has made me any happier of a person. If there's one truth to this world of ours, it's that there is no such thing as a definite positive. Everywhere you go, you will find drawbacks. I believe it is merely better hidden in regions of temperate, lush climates. But it is there and it is every bit as severe and recognizable as the problems you left "back home".

I still consider Chicago to be the heart of what I love about a city. It really offered something no other city does; and lord knows, it certainly has its problems.

It may surprise some here to learn that many people actually choose to live the way that they do, where they do, for whatever reason. If you think that being in a different profession in a different region is going to make you any happier, you're in for a very nasty surprise... and a hell of a lot of boredom.
Nice post! People who are unhappy and think that moving to a new state or city will make them instantly happy are always going to be disappointed. Happiness starts with you, and, as the old saying goes, "Wherever you go, there you are." If you find things to beef about in Ohio, you will find things to beef about in Florida or Arizona, or wherever. No place is perfect, and the negatives in places like Ohio are balanced by the negatives in other places, they are just different types of negatives. Choose your poison.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:05 AM

20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
The Midwest is a pretty large geographical area. We like to debate what parts really belong in the Midwest and what parts do not. The upper Midwest is generally viewed to be more "progressive" compared to the lower Midwest.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:42 AM

4 posts, read 8,453 times
I would shoot myself if I had to live in the midwest ...

Old 12-22-2009, 12:08 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,366,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanCaliLuvvr View Post

Haha, I love when people post stuff like this. I mean it sounds like "The Midwest" is some room in the basement that leaks when it rains.

It's hundreds of thousands of square miles, 65 million people, hundreds of cities and different situations.

I don't blame people for moving out of the Midwest, and I don't blame people for moving into the Midwest. At the end of the day it's all about personal preference. You've gotta just roll your eyes at people who have a personal beef with a place, or more often than not just naive stereotypes, that lead them to make the same tired comments about somewhere they've never bothered to learn about. People have been moving to the Midwest and its population has been growing since the first European walked through the region a couple hundred years ago. It's OBVIOUSLY not hell on earth.

People treat every region with the same sterotypes. Midwest = flat, white and boring. South = hicks, racists, uneducated slow people. West = hippy gay loving self-obsessed people who spend their lives in traffic and go through earthquakes/fires every 17 minutes. East = snobbish people who would rather run you down than help you across the street and all live in 100 year old cramped neighborhoods.

People can make all the comments they want - but I'll never understand the reason behind it. I assume it's just to get someone else riled up, but don't they realize all it does is make you come off naive, bitter and inmature? Do you really think everyone is going to pick up and move to another place because you think their house sucks? 95% of the time people live in places because they're comfortable and enjoy their lives. Not because they're chained to a wall.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:27 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,396,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanCaliLuvvr View Post
The Midwest is a huge area and I would bet that you could find something that you like. It stretches further East and West than any other area and almost as far North and South as the area considered "West."

Old 12-22-2009, 02:40 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,420,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Haha, I love when people post stuff like this. I mean it sounds like "The Midwest" is some room in the basement that leaks when it rains.

It's hundreds of thousands of square miles, 65 million people, hundreds of cities and different situations.

I don't blame people for moving out of the Midwest, and I don't blame people for moving into the Midwest. At the end of the day it's all about personal preference. You've gotta just roll your eyes at people who have a personal beef with a place, or more often than not just naive stereotypes, that lead them to make the same tired comments about somewhere they've never bothered to learn about. People have been moving to the Midwest and its population has been growing since the first European walked through the region a couple hundred years ago. It's OBVIOUSLY not hell on earth.

People treat every region with the same sterotypes. Midwest = flat, white and boring. South = hicks, racists, uneducated slow people. West = hippy gay loving self-obsessed people who spend their lives in traffic and go through earthquakes/fires every 17 minutes. East = snobbish people who would rather run you down than help you across the street and all live in 100 year old cramped neighborhoods.

People can make all the comments they want - but I'll never understand the reason behind it. I assume it's just to get someone else riled up, but don't they realize all it does is make you come off naive, bitter and inmature? Do you really think everyone is going to pick up and move to another place because you think their house sucks? 95% of the time people live in places because they're comfortable and enjoy their lives. Not because they're chained to a wall.
Bravo!!! Bravo!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or