U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:44 PM

4,342 posts, read 7,416,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanCaliLuvvr View Post
I would shoot myself if I had to live in the midwest ...
Wow...well, that's it for me. Yep, if you couldn't stand to live in the Midwest then I sure as heck don't want to be here either. OMG, WHAT have I been thinking all these years? And I actually thought that I was happy here!!! Yikes!!! Thank you SO MUCH for opening my eyes to the horror that is the Midwest. Anything would have to be better...I'm outta here!!!! East or west coasts, here I come!!! Paradise really is attainable on earth!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 01:44 AM

83 posts, read 74,256 times
Quite simply, most people here are just defending where they were born or where they are currently living as a sense of pride. We all know this! They think that if they "advertise" their favorite city or region and boost it enough on this forum that maybe they will change some outsiders viewpoint, or maybe be the one who influences everyone else on the forum to see what they see in their city, or what they don't want you to see....because they feel that their city/region has everything that anyone would ever want in a city. But its all BS.

Then, some people here claimed that it "does not work" when someone moves away from the midwest because they think that another setting/career/etc will make them happier. They say that the person will either end up miserable wherever they go or will end up returning having been taught some life lesson. Again BS. I've known Several people who have moved away years ago, and are doing just fine and are happy as clams where they live. They never looked back and were better people for it. Thats no knock on the midwest because I think its the best place in the world to live. But many people just do not like it even after living here for years, and thats fine. To each their own.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:28 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,384,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanCaliLuvvr View Post
I would shoot myself if I had to live in the midwest ...
Well, with a 'tude like that, we'd probably shoot you first. lol

j/k

Old 12-23-2009, 10:40 PM

711 posts, read 1,868,986 times
So you live in a small town in Ohio that you hate, and have decided that the midwest is not for you. Try to get out more.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:30 AM

414 posts, read 1,588,793 times
I'm 24 and just moved from the midwest out to Denver. I am much, much happier out here, mainly because the people are laid back, drinking isn't such a major thing, and the weather is way better.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:32 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,552,631 times
Left Chicago, not neccessarily happier... I'll actually probably move back some day b/c I miss the lifestyle, business climate, and opportunities it provides which I can't really find outside of Chicago or NYC in the u.s. They just have the right mixes. My circles of friends and interests are in IT, law, econ, the irish community, and some other international organizations which are operating to those cities and have ties to dc/un.
I am enjoying California for now but eventually I'll probably go back to Chicago.
I would take California over elsewhere in the Midwest though, but not Chicago and not NYC or London either. Still don't like the weather in any of those places though but ahh, it isn't everything.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,738 times
Default Midwest

I've lived my whole life in the midwest. I'm from Des Moines, IA. My thoughts are, the midwest isn't a bad place, it just may not be for everyone. With being here my whole life, I'm bored and ready for something new. That being said, Des Moines has some to offer, they are known for things like the Iowa State Fair, and Des Moines Arts Festival. Beer brewery places are becoming more popular, parks, dog parks, Iowa legalized gay marriage, innovative restaurants like Zombie Burger in the E. Village in Des Moines. For a smaller city, there are things to offer including diversity, not near as conservative or redneck as people want to think. Midwest cities like Des Moines have a lower cost of living, and tend be good places to raise a family. We have a newer "upscale" mall in West Des Moines (it's upscale for DSM). lol. We have 4 malls in Des Moines, the Des Moines airport, Blank Park Zoo, Adventureland Theme Park, and a lower unemployment rate. BUT.. coming from someone who's lived in a house on the south side of Des Moines, in 2009 the year I moved in, we had a snow storm. I had 4 foot drifts on the side of my house/driveway to shovel. The weather here is unpredictable and extreme. Currently we are 30 degrees warmer than normal for December and in the 40's and 50's. But in the past we've had ice storms, -10 degree weather, and snow storms that shut the city down until the roads are plowed. Some people like the 4 seasons and the variety that brings. Me personally, I'm so over winter, snow and ice. I'm planning to move to the NW corner here in the next few years after I've saved enough money and been able to sell my house. I have never moved outside of the midwest and can't say for sure if I'll ever be back after i move... but for now Des Moines has become boring and the weather is getting to me.. I'm ready for a change. People shouldn't move for the wrong reasons, it won't change that much besides the scenery and in my case lack of family. It's so easy to sterotype the midwest but give it a chance and visit before saying it's just corn fields full of conservative rednecks.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:23 PM

71 posts, read 97,899 times
I was born in northern Wisconsin, moved to the upper peninsula of Michigan at 5 years, moved to Tennessee at 16. Right out of high school I got a job that required me to travel and briefly live in Missouri and Oklahoma for months at a time. I have also traveled to or through several other states mainly in the midwest and south. I have family in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota and vacation to those areas at least once or twice a year. I can't really speak for Ohio which is actually to the far eastern edge of the midwest, but in my opinion I think the upper midwest is the most under rated region of the country. I'm probably a little biased having grown up there though. From what I've seen that region as a whole has decent paying jobs, reasonable housing and cost of living, some of the best education in the country, lower crime than most areas, beautiful scenery,four season weather, and maybe the most down to earth friendliest people in the country. I admit that there may not be tons of diversity in some areas and especially the more rural ones. I don't want to offend any races or immigrants but I actually like that fact. The culture in in much of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and even the Dakotas is more defined and older than many U.S. cities that have become huge melting pots and lost much of their identities. Many of the people living in these areas are carrying on old traditions and in some ways living much like their ancestors did not long after coming to America from mainly northern European areas. I also love the Scandinavian influence on the culture. These areas may not have major night life scenes either but can be very good places to raise a family. I would love to and hopefully will move back to that region one day.

Last edited by TENNYOOPER; 12-16-2012 at 08:42 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 AM

5 posts, read 6,069 times
I left the midwest for 10 years but now Im back.

My reason for leaving initially 10 years ago was mainly for Health Reasons, (always getting sick) because of the cold. I wanted "A Little Sunshine" in the South, which I Got, but after Living there 10 years all I have to show for 10 years of work it is my fading tan.
So now Im back in Milwaukee and making DECENT MONEY & paying cheaper Rent. Im using this money to pay back debts I rang up in the South while paying high rents in Florida and credit card debt over the past 10 years I couldnt overcome...

I DO Love the South more than anywhere, but I will. not. Return. to LIVE there until I am Retired, or get a check every month for dooing nothing like everyone else who is able to sustain there.
And I will NOT return to Florida at All. Ever.
In MY OWN Experience...
As a working class person (I felt was treated like complete garbage there). Completely disrespected, and uncompenstaed at every turn.
Reguardless of my Professional Licence and perfect work History, Everyday I was told by my Employer that I was "Replaceable".. and they were Right... because the DEMAND of people that want to Live in Florida is soo high.
Well, Im 40 now.. and they can have it.
Im buying a House in Milwaukee this year

Old 01-02-2013, 08:05 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,310,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mayor of Mil-Town View Post
Quite simply, most people here are just defending where they were born or where they are currently living as a sense of pride. We all know this! They think that if they "advertise" their favorite city or region and boost it enough on this forum that maybe they will change some outsiders viewpoint, or maybe be the one who influences everyone else on the forum to see what they see in their city, or what they don't want you to see....because they feel that their city/region has everything that anyone would ever want in a city. But its all BS.

Then, some people here claimed that it "does not work" when someone moves away from the midwest because they think that another setting/career/etc will make them happier. They say that the person will either end up miserable wherever they go or will end up returning having been taught some life lesson. Again BS. I've known Several people who have moved away years ago, and are doing just fine and are happy as clams where they live. They never looked back and were better people for it. Thats no knock on the midwest because I think its the best place in the world to live. But many people just do not like it even after living here for years, and thats fine. To each their own.
And you're right, except it's not exclusive to the Midwest. People are miserable everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or