U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 12:49 PM

104 posts, read 196,497 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago but my mom was from Wisconsin, my aunt from south haven Michigan, we left to come down to Florida. I went back up there a while back and It didn't seem like I was welcome coming back, of course I do miss aspects of the Midwest but some of the states and people can be real jerks and xenophobic if they don't know you well or flat out cold, and this is coming from a conservative guy who lived most of his life there, with family who own large farms.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 03:06 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,937,611 times
I only prefer the Upper Midwest. I will NOT move anywhere in the Lower Midwest.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:32 AM

5,549 posts, read 6,977,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I only prefer the Upper Midwest. I will NOT move anywhere in the Lower Midwest.

What do you consider the dividing line between upper and lower Midwest ?

Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,509,130 times
I'm on the opposite side of the fence to the question posed by the OP.

I moved out of the Midwest (from St. Louis to North Carolina) and HATED it. After 4+ years in 'The South' I've finally moved back to the Midwest (my beloved St. Louis) and I couldn't be more pleased! The grass isn't always greener, that's for sure!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
What do you consider the dividing line between upper and lower Midwest ?
The rough dividing line is generally interstate 80, or a bit to the north of that line.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:46 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,313,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The rough dividing line is generally interstate 80, or a bit to the north of that line.
Not to sniff your jock but that sounds fairly accurate. You could argue that I-70 is another divider and I personally find it to be pretty dividing myself (St. Louis, Indianapolis and Columbus a cross between North and South), but many of those cities already have characteristics of "Southern" that would be noticeable to a true Northerner, and I'm sure vice versa. So maybe I-80 is most accurate then since it seems to cut right down the middle of the Midwest.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Not to sniff your jock but that sounds fairly accurate. You could argue that I-70 is another divider and I personally find it to be pretty dividing myself (St. Louis, Indianapolis and Columbus a cross between North and South), but many of those cities already have characteristics of "Southern" that would be noticeable to a true Northerner, and I'm sure vice versa. So maybe I-80 is most accurate then since it seems to cut right down the middle of the Midwest.
I agree. North of I-80 I feel has more of a "solid North feel" meaning it generally does not have southern influences at all, unlike the cities along and south of I-70. Of course some of big metros were strongly impacted by the Great Migration of the early and middle part of the 20th century, but that doesn't change the fact that they are northern in geography and culture. I don't feel like I have reached the North until I hit about 43-44N. The seasons are more sharply defined at this latitude as well.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 6,263 times
I live in the St. Louis Metro area and I am not fond of it and need a change. I have lived in this area since HS and I used to be a military brat where we moved every 2-4 years to a new area, including areas in Europe and Asia. Japan was by far my favorite place to live as a child. Though there are various areas of the Midwest and a lot to be seen, I think what was the final snap for me was when a long distance bf of 6 years broke up with me after he told me he didn't like his visits with me to the Midwest and could never see himself living here, it depressed him. He has very high standards as he grew up rich and traveled all over the world. He has now met a girl that matches him in income and lives a very high standard of living moving from Norway to NYC. That is right up his alley, and since they both work in the finance world they are perfect for each other.

I have never particularly cared for living here but since I have fallen into a deep depression since the breakup now I really hate it and just want to pick up and move. The weather does not suit me here, I hate the hot, humid summers and the cold winters. But since I have kids with my ex husband I am not suppose to move out of this area unless I find a better job or go to school somewhere else. The Northeast has always appealed to me, but I would never be able to tolerate the bitter winters, so I am thinking the West Coast may be where I head in the future. I have always been partial to being close to the mountains and the ocean. I have no family here other than my ex husbands family, who I am not close with other than his mother. All my family is spread out in different states and with growing up in the military and a lot of my friends going into the military themselves they are also all over the place. The only people I am really good friends with and hang out with are some of my coworkers. I just feel like after I graduate with my second degree I want to pick up and move. The only probably is this area is pretty cheap compared to the West or the East Coast. And the thought of moving to a new area where I don't know anyone is kind of scary.

I suppose if you really want to move, than move if it is possible. If you don't you will never know what you are missing. If you do and you don't like it you can always move back or move somewhere else. I have friends that have moved from the STL area to the East Coast and hate it. I have friends that moved to the West Coast and loved it and would never move back and some that had to move back cause it was too expensive. I also know people that move here from NYC, LA and other areas because it is so much cheaper to live here. Maybe if you travel around a bit you will find a place you really fancy and you can study up on it and see what the job situation is, what there is to do and see, ect. You have to have a plan for sure, you don't want to get there and then be stuck with no money. I definitely plan on doing my research before I move, especially with having children.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:07 PM

798 posts, read 2,174,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidbicyclist View Post
I currently live in the midwest (Ohio to be exact.) Anyways, this place is no paradise and I plan on moving as soon as I get married and settle in for a year (I am 24 btw.) There are many posts on this site about people who move and hate their new location...although I feel that some people make their old homeland out to be much better in hindsight than it actually was/is. I am not looking for reasons to "stay" in the midwest, as I am not persuaded by people on here to move/not move somewhere...everyplace has pros and cons. So anyways, to the question....who has moved out of the Midwest (which state and why you wanted out) and where do you live now and why do you like it more? Thank you!
In my opinion you're in the best state in the Midwest. You're in a state where three major cities (four if you count Toledo/Ann Arbor/Detroit metro) are only 2-3 hours apart. Columbus is thriving. There is so much to do there, and it's not terribly expensive especially if you're 24 and will either have roommates or a mate. I've found most Ohio people to be friendly and intelligent, and know how to have fun - mostly my experience has been in cities and college towns there, not rural areas.

I've heard good things about Madison/Milwaukee, Grand Rapids, and St. Louis, and I know people who have found what they're looking for in Chicago.

I tried Florida and came back to the Midwest.

The biggest reason I would leave the Midwest is the long winters.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,779 times
Oh my GOD. I love this post. This is absolute truth about where I live i.e INDIANA. I have lived here for almost 10 years and I feel SUFFOCATED here. I am a physician who did all my undergrad, grad and Medical School here in Mid-west but these people including the physicians still discriminate against me and make fun of my background. One has to be OUT of their mind to want to live here. It is THE most boring place in this world: Completely flat with HORRIBLE winters. There is literally nothing to do here. To be honest, Chicago and metropolitan-Detroit area are much better in terms of diversity and things to do but the same in terms of the weather! Also, Nashville area has much better weather. I'd recommend avoiding Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky (has nice mountains though), some parts of Illinois and Missouri for legal educated immigrants who have other options. Having said that, i think Indiana might be the worst place in this list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or