U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 PM

54 posts, read 268,072 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the midwest (Ohio to be exact.) Anyways, this place is no paradise and I plan on moving as soon as I get married and settle in for a year (I am 24 btw.) There are many posts on this site about people who move and hate their new location...although I feel that some people make their old homeland out to be much better in hindsight than it actually was/is. I am not looking for reasons to "stay" in the midwest, as I am not persuaded by people on here to move/not move somewhere...everyplace has pros and cons. So anyways, to the question....who has moved out of the Midwest (which state and why you wanted out) and where do you live now and why do you like it more? Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 01:04 PM

9 posts, read 27,010 times
I am from NY/NJ and live in the midwest and absolutely hate it hear I understand! Here is my recent post:
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I hate the Midwest. The lack of culture, closed minded people, rednecks, white trash, conservative, uneducated, brain drained toothless hillbillies, where everyone knows everyone and has no life. Prejudices, discrimination, crazy delusional people who think there is 1 supreme race are you serious? The hay, farms, gray skies, rainy days almost every day, flat lands, miles of corn fields, pickup trucks, Wal-Martís, Krogerís, OMG someone save me. Nothing to do any day of the week. Nowhere to go on weekends everything is a disappointment. I am so sick and tired of being sick in this place that I do not belong the Midwest is for the plain, conservative, close minded cults. Someone save me.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 10-14-2009, 01:18 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,394,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromthemidwest View Post
I am from NY/NJ and live in the midwest and absolutely hate it hear I understand! Here is my recent post:
[SIZE=3]I hate the Midwest. The lack of culture, closed minded people, rednecks, white trash, conservative, uneducated, brain drained toothless hillbillies, where everyone knows everyone and has no life. Prejudices, discrimination, crazy delusional people who think there is 1 supreme race are you serious? The hay, farms, gray skies, rainy days almost every day, flat lands, miles of corn fields, pickup trucks, Wal-Martís, Krogerís, OMG someone save me. Nothing to do any day of the week. Nowhere to go on weekends everything is a disappointment. I am so sick and tired of being sick in this place that I do not belong the Midwest is for the plain, conservative, close minded cults. Someone save me.[/SIZE]
Don't post here again.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,406,006 times
For those of you who hate the Midwest, keep in mind that there's a huge range of places to be found within the region. The stereotype that the Midwest is one big conservative cornfield with Wal-marts is rather tired, and is not true.

I'm originally form the Midwest (Minneapolis) but have happily lived elsewhere. The key, I think, is not moving somewhere to get away from a place. I'm not living in Los Angeles or Washington, DC right now (two of the favorite places I've lived in), but absolutely loved both places, except for the cost. The cost isn't such an issue when you don't have kids, but I know a lot of Midwesterners-turned-Californians who return to the Midwest once they have kids because it's a lot more affordable and because it's nice to live closer to family.

I think it's more helpful to think about what you want out of a community and look for that, rather than look for broad regions. Unless, of course, all you want is an ocean or something you can't find in the Midwest. You can find big cities, small towns, medium cities, and all ranges of political viewpoints, diversity, culture, etc. in all parts of the country. Think about what it is that you like about your current home and what it is that you don't like. There's bound to be many places that would be a good fit.

Are you married now? Or engaged or otherwise involved with the person you're going to be marrying? Just to warn you, it can be tougher to move with two people, especially if your spouse doesn't share the interest in moving.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:29 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,014,398 times
I'm not too crazy about being in the midwest either. After living in both OC/LA and Metro New York, The midwest (Missouri specifically) is just vanilla flavored blah.

I'm getting use to it, but I am hoping to find a way out. Realistically, It looks like I'm here for at least another two years.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:32 PM

54 posts, read 268,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I'm not too crazy about being in the midwest either. After living in both OC/LA and Metro New York, The midwest (Missouri specifically) is just vanilla flavored blah.

I'm getting use to it, but I am hoping to find a way out. Realistically, It looks like I'm here for at least another two years.
But wasn't Lake St. Louis on the top 100 places to live? haha, I know what you mean.. My city was on that list as well and I don't understand why. I am ready to move on.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:15 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,630,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidbicyclist View Post
But wasn't Lake St. Louis on the top 100 places to live? haha, I know what you mean.. My city was on that list as well and I don't understand why. I am ready to move on.
I put no credibility into these lists of desireable and undesireable places to live that were compiled by so-called experts. Who knows what their criteria is. My criteria is likely to be very different. I read them for their entertainment value only!

I like rural areas in the great plains. What are the chances that places like that would ever show up on an expert's lists - none. So, no credibility there only another person's opinion.

Anyone contemplating a move needs to determine for themselves what they are looking for and what they value in life. You can listen to other people's opinion, but it will be biased based on their likes and dislikes. Your mileage may vary.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:22 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,225,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Don't post here again.
I agree. It's like he doesn't know that the midwest is more than cornfields and rednecks. i.e. Chicago, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Cleveland, etc...

Old 10-14-2009, 07:36 PM

2,094 posts, read 5,867,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidbicyclist View Post
I currently live in the midwest (Ohio to be exact.) Anyways, this place is no paradise and I plan on moving as soon as I get married and settle in for a year (I am 24 btw.) There are many posts on this site about people who move and hate their new location...although I feel that some people make their old homeland out to be much better in hindsight than it actually was/is. I am not looking for reasons to "stay" in the midwest, as I am not persuaded by people on here to move/not move somewhere...everyplace has pros and cons. So anyways, to the question....who has moved out of the Midwest (which state and why you wanted out) and where do you live now and why do you like it more? Thank you!

Well there are places in Ohio where I NEVER live and hate my life and places where I would have a great time. I mean Ohio is completely different then say Iowa.. It's all about your likes and dislikes.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:40 PM

2,094 posts, read 5,867,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromthemidwest View Post
[SIZE=3]I hate the Midwest. The lack of culture, closed minded people, rednecks, white trash, conservative, uneducated, brain drained toothless hillbillies, where everyone knows everyone and has no life. Prejudices, discrimination, crazy delusional people who think there is 1 supreme race are you serious? The hay, farms, gray skies, rainy days almost every day, flat lands, miles of corn fields, pickup trucks, Wal-Martís, Krogerís, OMG someone save me. Nothing to do any day of the week. Nowhere to go on weekends everything is a disappointment. I am so sick and tired of being sick in this place that I do not belong the Midwest is for the plain, conservative, close minded cults. Someone save me.[/SIZE]
You might be the stupidest person on the internet. Congrats. I award you no points, and god have mercy on your soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or