Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 12:45 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times

Advertisements

Apparently, a survey was just conducted where they asked recent grads to list the cities they were most interested in working in. This year supposedly (according to the article) marked a shift in which grads became more interested in bigger cities.

The results were:

1. NYC
2. Washington DC
3. LA
4. Boston
5. San Francisco
6. Chicago
7. Denver
8. Seattle
9. Atlanta
10. San Diego

Starting Out: The 10 Most-Popular Cities for First-Time Job Seekers - CareerCast.com

Pretty much all of the top 5 either have really competitive/tough job markets, really high costs of living, or both. So I have to ask - is this just wishful thinking on their parts in a starry-eyed "I dream of the big city" kind of way? Or are massive hoards of 09ers actually finding jobs in these cities? Do you think these cities will see an unusual boom of young professionals this year? Or do you think young grads will end up settling for cities with less expensive costs and/or less competition?

Thoughts? Predictions?

Personally, I have a hard time believing that 83% of new grads are going to be able to find decent employment in NYC, even if they do all want to move there. I really can't envision any of the top 5 seeing significant gains in recent grads, simply because the costs of living are too high and the job markets are too competitive. I think this survey is really one of those surveys where what people want is irrelevant, since most of them likely aren't going to get it. But I suppose we'll see.

I'd be interested to hear if people living in the top cities are noticing an unusual amount of new job-seekers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 01:02 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,937 times
I think your description of the survey already answered your question. It is their preference, and they are INTERESTED in working there. And this survey illustrates why competition entering the top 5 is always high. This is also interesting in that because newly grads don't have family issues and they still have the freedom to choose, etc, it is a list of "cool" places to live if you don't have any burden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Apparently, a survey was just conducted where they asked recent grads to list the cities they were most interested in working in. This year supposedly (according to the article) marked a shift in which grads became more interested in bigger cities.

The results were:

1. NYC
2. Washington DC
3. LA
4. Boston
5. San Francisco
6. Chicago
7. Denver
8. Seattle
9. Atlanta
10. San Diego

Starting Out: The 10 Most-Popular Cities for First-Time Job Seekers - CareerCast.com

Pretty much all of the top 5 either have really competitive/tough job markets, really high costs of living, or both. So I have to ask - is this just wishful thinking on their parts in a starry-eyed "I dream of the big city" kind of way? Or are massive hoards of 09ers actually finding jobs in these cities? Do you think these cities will see an unusual boom of young professionals this year? Or do you think young grads will end up settling for cities with less expensive costs and/or less competition?

Thoughts? Predictions?

Personally, I have a hard time believing that 83% of new grads are going to be able to find decent employment in NYC, even if they do all want to move there. I really can't envision any of the top 5 seeing significant gains in recent grads, simply because the costs of living are too high and the job markets are too competitive. I think this survey is really one of those surveys where what people want is irrelevant, since most of them likely aren't going to get it. But I suppose we'll see.

I'd be interested to hear if people living in the top cities are noticing an unusual amount of new job-seekers.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:08 AM

596 posts, read 1,707,095 times
It's clearly popularity versus reality. Sure NYC is fun, but good luck on finding a job and surviving in the current economic picture, especially as a recent grad. Meanwhile places like Austin, Atlanta, Salt Lake City and South Florida are still seeing increases in demand for jobseekers. They may not have the cache of NYC, Boston or Chicago...but reality sucks like that sometimes.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:28 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
its more important for many to be in a place they enjoy rather than live an unhappy (though employed) life elsewhere. it is actually not that bad when you don't have bills and kids plus live with roommates.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:50 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
its more important for many to be in a place they enjoy rather than live an unhappy (though employed) life elsewhere. it is actually not that bad when you don't have bills and kids plus live with roommates.
Exactly what I was going to say. I think I've realized this from living in places that I dislike all my life. I can confidently say I would never make the decision to live in another place I wasn't interested in living in for wealth or otherwise.

Life's short.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:40 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Exactly what I was going to say. I think I've realized this from living in places that I dislike all my life. I can confidently say I would never make the decision to live in another place I wasn't interested in living in for wealth or otherwise.

Life's short.
yeah...been there done that as well... lets see, 2-3 weeks vacation in a place you like, or, 50 weeks a year in a place you like...

Old 06-06-2009, 06:29 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post

Life's short.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.