U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:54 PM

2,057 posts, read 4,873,826 times

Advertisements

I am confused on how often the new MSA and CSA statistics are released.

I found this link, which is the newest data for the MSA

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The newest updated version is 2008 and the last one listed is 2000

So, I am assuming every 8 years another one comes out?

Then I found the CSA numbers, which I am assuming are released every seven years by the recording history. Is this true?

Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does anyone know how often a new MSA and CSA is released?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 07:04 PM

9,866 posts, read 21,158,402 times
It would be a very logical system if ALL metro areas were part of a larger combined stat area - but they aren't

Note that there are NO csa's in Arizona and few in Florida, Texas, etc

Old 06-06-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It would be a very logical system if ALL metro areas were part of a larger combined stat area - but they aren't

Note that there are NO csa's in Arizona and few in Florida, Texas, etc
Do you know when the new CSA will be released?

How many years are in between release dates?

Old 06-06-2009, 11:05 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,738,189 times
I believe that the Census Bureau issues definitive numbers only every ten years, using the new data right after each census. The rest of the time, they make periodic estimates. I'm not sure how often they make those estimates.

Regarding the suggestion to have every MSA be a part of a CSA, the problem with this is that in areas with low populations there may not be two or more distinct urban clusters (either MSA's or micropolitan areas) close enough to each other to have enough commuting between them to even qualify as a CSA.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:13 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,841,390 times
It is very confusing. And it leads to many an argument of who has more people in certain areas. A good example is the Seattle area. I have heard the metro area defined as just Seattle-Everett, also defined as Seattle-Everett-Tacoma, and also Seattle-Everett-Tacoma-Bremerton, and even Olympia thrown in. The difference can be millions apart. I've seen estimates of the metro as low as 2.5 million up to 4.5 million. I wish we could get a better definition.

But to answer your question directly, a CMSA is "consolidated", an MSA is just "metro". Again, how do you differentiate between the two?

Old 06-06-2009, 11:24 PM

EVERYONE

I don't want to know how the CSA and MSA are defined

I want to know how often they come out and when the next one will be released

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 06-07-2009 at 12:05 AM..

Old 06-06-2009, 11:41 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,260,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I am confused on how often the new MSA and CSA statistics are released.

I found this link, which is the newest data for the MSA

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The newest updated version is 2008 and the last one listed is 2000

So, I am assuming every 8 years another one comes out?

Then I found the CSA numbers, which I am assuming are released every seven years by the recording history. Is this true?

Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Does anyone know how often a new MSA and CSA is released?
MSAs and CSAs are officially determined after each census. The 2008 data is simply an estimate of population for each MSA/CSA, and I think they do an estimate every year; they have since 2004 anyway. The last official determination is based on the 2000 census data and we won't get an official count or any official changes in MSA/CSA borders until after the 2010 census data is evaluated.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:19 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,585,065 times
The State and Metropolitan Data Book does seem to be randomly published and updated...I tried to buy copies from the U.S. printing office and the editions available were behind "the times",and "they" stated they were not on a fixed schedule like the census is.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:33 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,340,860 times
The MSA/CSA estimates are annual. They are based on annual county population estimates that are usually released around early spring (for the previous year of course).

Old 07-17-2009, 05:17 PM

8 posts, read 15,813 times
Note that Trenton, New Jersey is not in the New York City MSA, but it is in the NYC CSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or