U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:19 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,219,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Nobody has a problem if people would just keep their religion to themselves. It's when they feel the need to convert the world, where the problem comes in. I have every right to not answer my doorbell when they ring it bringing their pamphlets. I have the right to say no thank you and hang up my phone. I have the right to not be accosted on the street, etc., etc. You may have the right to your religion and free speech, but I also have to the right to not listen to you.

Live your life and leave me to live mine.
Completely agree. (That is a very small portion of "them")
Usually when they ring my doorbell my dog is first to run to the door. I just tell them his name is Lucifer and they politely excuse themselves.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:36 AM

15,849 posts, read 30,393,258 times
Quote:
Nobody has a problem if people would just keep their religion to themselves. It's when they feel the need to convert the world, where the problem comes in. I have every right to not answer my doorbell when they ring it bringing their pamphlets. I have the right to say no thank you and hang up my phone. I have the right to not be accosted on the street, etc., etc. You may have the right to your religion and free speech, but I also have to the right to not listen to you.

Most religons require the faithful to "witness" to others. They are not doing it maliciously to make you unhappy, they are just doing what they think is right. They think they are doing you a favor. Please don't judge them harshly for that.

I have found that 90 percent of them will back down when you say no thank you, politely.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-08-2009, 12:18 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,749,374 times
In Philly if you want to see religious zealots just go to 9th & Market on Saturday afternoons. I don't know what church it is but you should hear what they say about Jews and gay people. I don't think freedom of speech should include the use of amplified sound systems, city council should restrict their use in public spaces. Cities are not bastions of sanity, sophistication or wisdom.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:29 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,164,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
In Philly if you want to see religious zealots just go to 9th & Market on Saturday afternoons. I don't know what church it is but you should hear what they say about Jews and gay people. I don't think freedom of speech should include the use of amplified sound systems, city council should restrict their use in public spaces. Cities are not bastions of sanity, sophistication or wisdom.
We used to have the same thing here in Downtown Atlanta, Bobilee.

The only time I ever got to take my Grandmother to Downtown, they got right up in her face and scared the h*ll out of her! I agree with you that the whole "Freedom of Speech" thing is very much taken advantage of sometimes. I got into quite a shouting match with them, but they can't be reasoned with in any way.

Thankfully, they seem to have left for greener pastures.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:19 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,991,559 times
Smaller areas might be more religious on average, but I don't know if this is universal.

Vermont doesn't really have any big cities and has one of the highest rates of irreligious or nontheist (blanket-term for agnostic, atheist, and deist) people in America. According to the most recent "American Religious Identification Service" 34% of Vermonters are of no religion. Although small towns in Vermont apparently tend to Catholic I'd imagine there are some where it's just marginally Catholic. You can likely find a little area in Vermont that's largely just liberal Protestants and non-religious. I believe Vermont has a good number of Unitarians and I don't know if Unitarian fanaticism is even possible.

A much different possibility is Wyoming. Although it's one of the most Republican states in the nation it had the third or fourth highest rate of "No Religion" in the ARIS study. Gallup puts Montana as less church-going, but does list Wyoming as having a below average rate too. Some of the more liberal little towns in Montana might also fit as "not religious and rural." Eureka, Montana is plurality listed as "other religions" which might include non-religious seeing as "non-religious" is not listed for any city.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Eureka-Montana.html

Likewise there are plenty of religious fanatics in cities. The 1993 World Trade Center bombing wasn't planned from rural Iowa, it was an Islamist group in Jersey City. Mars Hill Church in Seattle is an intense Calvinist group from what I've read. They believe in the Calvinist notion of depravity and reject the "feminizing" of Jesus. I'm sure New York City has fanatical Christians, Jews, Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus, and Anti-theists.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 06-08-2009 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 06-08-2009, 02:31 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,964,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot82 View Post
As an alien who has lived here for some time, there is something about america that really surprises me; when you go outside of big cities, all you see is religious zealots! Its hard to believe this demographic consisting such a large portion of a "first world" country that, at least to outsiders, is the symbol of liberalism and wisdom and thought... kinda disappointing!

This could be responded to with 1 question and/or 1 statement

1) When you go into big cities, how come all you see is godless heathens?

2) If the US is a "1st world" country that is the symbolism of liberalism, wisdom and thought, and is also full of "religious zealots".....then obviously those religious zealots know what they're doing.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:34 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,964,959 times
Quote:

So you want the churches to stop helping (feeding/clothing/providing shelter) the the millions they help every year?

Old 06-08-2009, 02:51 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,981,160 times
Default When my husband was out of work

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
So you want the churches to stop helping (feeding/clothing/providing shelter) the the millions they help every year?
many years ago and we were one step away from being out on the street, we were told about a local church food panty. It was around Thanksgiving time and they gave me a big carton of food, including a turkey. No questions asked. No preaching involved. They were very, very nice. We were not even of the same religion as that church, but it did not matter to them. They were there to simply help the needy. I will never forget that church, and I didn't. No, I didn't join their congregation, but when my husband got a job and we got back on our feet, I packed up food and brought it to them for helping us out. I did it periodically for years while we were still living in the area.

Isn't this how it should be? There should not be an ulterior motive involved.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:07 PM

925 posts, read 2,293,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot82 View Post
As an alien who has lived here for some time, there is something about america that really surprises me; when you go outside of big cities, all you see is religious zealots! Its hard to believe this demographic consisting such a large portion of a "first world" country that, at least to outsiders, is the symbol of liberalism and wisdom and thought... kinda disappointing!
It's kind of disappointing that someone who brands himself/herself on tolerance would be so intolerant and judgemental.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:12 PM

925 posts, read 2,293,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
If you are a Liberal, and believe in freedom of beliefs and opinions, then would it not make sense to oppose what at that time imposed itself on others, often violently? With orgnisations like the Catholic Church with their Inquisitions and Crusades, it would have made perfect sense for the Liberals of that time to reject religion in that incarnation. It's tantamount to a racially tolerant person rejecting the racially intolerant. On its face it sounds logical to say that this is hypocritical, but it is a reasonable position to hold depending on the circumstances.

That's why liberals are against imposing religious people, zealots, but okay with the non imposing religious people.
Tell me how you truly feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or