U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 02:42 PM

6 posts, read 19,323 times

Advertisements

This is going to be a long winded question, so bear with me…
I have been going to the doctor lately for a possibly sinus related sickness. I am currently residing in Phoenix, AZ (I love the weather down here; no devastating weather and warm all year 'round). If I am developing a chronic allergy to something here in the valley, I would want to move to another state. I have done some research on my own, but none of it is at all conclusive; only slightly helpful. I grew up in Nebraska and nothing there seemed to affect me allergy/sinus wise. So I am thinking that if I had to move, I'd move to a state with a similar environment. However, I hate bad winter weather and tornadoes. Not only that, but my career field is in Graphic Design so I'll need a good job market for that if I were to move. I suppose what I am primarily asking for is if anyone knows of a city, state where I can get a temperate climate without all the extreme bad weather (i.e. blinding snowstorms, devastating tornadoes, massive wildfires, earthquakes, etc.). If I were to be even more finicky, I would also request if anyone knows of those places with good education system and lower violent crime rate. You know, places one would feel safe raising a family (I am getting married in September of this year - she is a 6th grade school teacher :-) ). So far I have come up with places like Oregon, Wyoming, and New Hampshire. Although, I don't know how strong my job market is in Wyoming considering it is primarily a ranching state. Anyone who lives in these states or knows people who do would be great to hear from. Thanks in advance for all of your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 12:57 AM

455 posts, read 911,200 times
I would say NYC, LA, Chicago, and San Francisco are the best cities for design. Since you don't like earthquakes, wildfires, some crime, or bitter winters....that leaves us with NYC.

NYC has a very low violent crime rate for a city and it has many great options for education. The weather is very manageable year-round as well. IMO, it's the #1 city for creatives in the country.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:07 PM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
I would say NYC, LA, Chicago, and San Francisco are the best cities for design. Since you don't like earthquakes, wildfires, some crime, or bitter winters....that leaves us with NYC.

NYC has a very low violent crime rate for a city and it has many great options for education. The weather is very manageable year-round as well. IMO, it's the #1 city for creatives in the country.
Or a suburb just outside of NYC could be good too.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:54 PM

37 posts, read 183,872 times
Stuart & Palm City Florida have good schools - "A" rated, weather is great year-round, except if there's a hurricane, crime is low and my allergies only bother me every now and then. I'm trying to move away because I miss the change of seasons. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,213,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Andrew View Post
\I grew up in Nebraska and nothing there seemed to affect me allergy/sinus wise.
You really should get tested by an allergist to determine what you are allergic to, since allergies are a primary concern of yours in a move destination. An allergy test provides great peace of mind and will be the best way to avoid whatever it is that bothers your allergies.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:39 PM

598 posts, read 1,521,525 times
Your list of criteria described Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC.

Moderate four season climate...no tornadoes, earthquakes, etc. Not environmentally challenged.
Low crime. Economy is among the strongest in the US. Not expensive. Beautiful area to live in. Not super expensive or highly taxed. Very good public school systems to choose from. Chapel Hill/Carrboro is one of the top public school systems in the entire country. Very few if any negatives, check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or