U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:46 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,159,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
I think the competition is really between Chicago and Rio. Madrid is really unlikely to win the next Olympics after London, since they don't usually have back-to-back games on the same continent. That and there has never been a games in South America--makes Rio very attractive.

I'm looking forward to taking the high-speed rail to Chicago seven years from now to see the games!
Uh, don't you live in Iowa City? How in the world are you going to take a high-speed train to Chicago? None of the proposed corridors are going to pass through Iowa. The closest you're going to come to accessing one of these corridors is going to be in Madison or Minneapolis.

http://avmedia.popularmechanics.com/video/maglev/maglev-b.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 03:29 PM

18,661 posts, read 27,123,201 times
I really really hope Chicago gets the Olympics. But I believe in the end, they will choose Rio. As stated before, South America has never hosted the Olympics and the international community is frankly tired of the United States hosting the games every 12-20 years or so. Rio's only problems are it's crime. But everything else is good for them.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:48 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,294,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Uh, don't you live in Iowa City? How in the world are you going to take a high-speed train to Chicago? None of the proposed corridors are going to pass through Iowa. The closest you're going to come to accessing one of these corridors is going to be in Madison or Minneapolis.
Hey, great map! Where did you get that? There is also a high speed rail corridor in proposal for the Rocky Mtn Front Range (basically between Cheyenne, WY and Albuquerque, NM via Denver and COS. Kind of a pipe dream though, methinks.

Nothing against CHI town, but I really think this one should go to Rio... someplace different... not only a new host city and country, but a whole new continent. That would be more interesting than just bringing it back to another big US metro area. That said, I'm sure CHI will do a bang-up job if they end up getting it.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:18 PM

681 posts, read 2,774,385 times
Quote:

Who says that's where I'll be in 7 years, chief? Or that the high-speed rail network won't be expanded beyond that map?

Old 06-11-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Hey, great map! Where did you get that? There is also a high speed rail corridor in proposal for the Rocky Mtn Front Range (basically between Cheyenne, WY and Albuquerque, NM via Denver and COS. Kind of a pipe dream though, methinks.
This map came from the New York Times, but I have also seen several other maps including on the official White House website, Popular Mechanics, CNN, and the Federal Department of Transportation. However, none of the maps I have seen have showed any kind of high-speed rail corridors in the Rocky Mountain West Region. Denver is too isolated from any other big cities to warrant building a Rocky Mountain corridor. No offense, but the cities of Cheyenne, Colorado Springs, and Albuquerque are way too small to be included in any kind of high-speed rail development. I would imagine Phoenix would get high-speed rail before any of those cities, and that hasn't been proposed yet either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
Who says that's where I'll be in 7 years, chief? Or that the high-speed rail network won't be expanded beyond that map?
I highly doubt that seven years from now the federal government will have completed all of the proposed high-speed rail corridors, let alone be planning for new corridors.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:52 PM

22,266 posts, read 23,760,468 times
Who knows if they'll even get a single one of them off/on the ground.

So much of that manufacturing prowess in the rustbelt plain wasted. Instead, we now have to import from Canada, France, Germany, and Japan the goods and know-how. Blagh.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:07 AM

322 posts, read 705,635 times
Rio will win. Chicago is too cold.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:42 AM

2,437 posts, read 7,294,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
Not in August... if anything Rio might be a little cooler at that time, since it's in the South Hemi...

At any rate, it would reall be cool to see the Olympics discover a whole new continent.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
Wow. What a stupid thing to say. Try to remember we're talking about the Summer Games here not the Winter Games.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,097,953 times
Quote:

There are so many maddening gaps on this, I'm stupefied. You want to travel fast from Dallas to Little Rock? No problem. From Dallas to Houston? Cleveland to Pittsburgh? San Francisco to Eugene? Well... you may want to rent a car. It's just strange they would build these little islands of high-speed rail and not find some way of connecting them all into one large network. And I find it curious how the PNW line starts in Eugene but completely bypasses Portland, and the line doesn't connect to California at all. What a strange rail system. I wonder who designed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or