U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 04:10 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,240,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbomac05 View Post
hey guys i got good news

i got my ged a couple weeks ago

and i have been working full time saving money

i actually have been studying learning and playing the game of Texas hold em

im moving to thailand in a couple of months and gonna live there support my self by playing online poker

life is very good and im glad to still be alive and healthy

thanks for the reply's
i think i have matured over the last year and have settled down
That's fantastic.

I didn't see this thread until it was bumped, but I read through most of it just now and I admire your ambition.

It's great that you got your GED. I do know a few people who dropped high school and went on to have very fulfilling lives (one friend owns a local landscaping business and is actually quite independently wealthy), but for the most part, in the modern U.S., it's a total shot in the dark. It's always a better idea to finish H.S. and get it behind you.

College is a bit different, even though America is becoming more and more of a college-driven society, but it certainly isn't for everyone. I grew up in an upper-middle class town and was actually offered a scholarship to a local college (not community). At the time I was also considering going to a state university as I had the money and opportunity. However, I was never a school person. Flash forward five years, I never went, and I'm currently working a job I feel pretty satisfied with and I make enough to pay the bills and still have plenty for recreational stuff, including several vacations I've taken over the past couple of years, as long as I save. Some people might rip into me for saying "College isn't necessary" but it isn't for all. However, it is necessary for a certain type of lifestyle of course.

Life is too short to do things you have no interest in. All that matters is making enough money to pay your bills and living somewhere you enjoy. That's why I'm moving out of the current high cost of living, bad weather, overpopulated area I live in now.

You should write Citydata from Thailand sometime if you have access to a computer. I wish you the best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 06:48 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,867,651 times
Best place for a HS dropout? The military or back in school.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:40 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,582,817 times
That's great that you at least got your GED. Just know that online poker is not a stable income, and that Thailand can be a very rough place to be poor.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 PM

9,934 posts, read 10,530,943 times
One of my favorite teachers told me "If you don't know where you are going in life, any road will take you there.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:25 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,421,488 times
Quote:
im 17 and dont go to school, but i am smart

i feel like modern society creates problems that dont need to be, the only thing that matters is being healthy and eating your next meal to stay alive

people complain about stupid stuff that doesent even matter

Now i could play it safe get a degree and some fake job or i can enjoy my life to the fullest and see things.

My question is do you have any advice on what place is the best for me to live.

Thanks

so is florida good i heard alot of people with no degree

Anyways im a real person who doesent worry about little things and dont care about money to much, people and places are what matters
The best place for a high school drop out would be...... back in school!

Yeah, plenty of people across America do not have degrees. They're the ones who mow your grass, flip your hamburger, and make your bed at the Holiday Inn.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:08 PM

5,953 posts, read 4,785,169 times
Did this ever work out?

Old 11-16-2014, 09:01 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,805,337 times
LA OR San Fran

Old 11-16-2014, 09:47 PM

233 posts, read 291,294 times
Quote:
im 17 and dont go to school, but i am smart

i feel like modern society creates problems that dont need to be, the only thing that matters is being healthy and eating your next meal to stay alive

people complain about stupid stuff that doesent even matter

Now i could play it safe get a degree and some fake job or i can enjoy my life to the fullest and see things.

My question is do you have any advice on what place is the best for me to live.

Thanks

so is florida good i heard alot of people with no degree

Anyways im a real person who doesent worry about little things and dont care about money to much, people and places are what matters
Common labor jobs are everywhere. Your decision isn't popular, and a lot of people are going to give you grief about it, not to mention judge you for it. But you'll find something eventually.

If you don't mind simple, and I mean simple work - and you aren't worried about a a big paycheck in life or a career to define you - it doesn't mean you are doomed in our society. There are all kinds of labor jobs in schools, public facilities, factories, all kinds of places in the public sector need common people. Just get creative and look around - everything you see requires a job.

Good luck! All I can say is, own your decision, don't be defensive about it, and be confident in yourself! And be prepared to let people roll off your back!

Old 11-16-2014, 09:51 PM

233 posts, read 291,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
The best place for a high school drop out would be...... back in school!

Yeah, plenty of people across America do not have degrees. They're the ones who mow your grass, flip your hamburger, and make your bed at the Holiday Inn.
Many people who do those jobs you are referring to have DO have degrees, many do not. There is really nothing wrong with those jobs - and many people find them rewarding, and they are just enough for them and their family. In fact, I think there are probably a lot of people making beds at the Holiday Inn with a more positive, friendlier, and healthy perspective - than some people who are using their highly valuable degrees to look and feel "successful."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or