U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 04:30 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,306,231 times

Advertisements

I'm also 17 and I'm not a fan of H.S. I had thoughts to drop out many times this year, but i was lucky enough to have supportive people in my life to show me that I'm going to need that HS diploma if i wanna get anywhere in life. So I'm stuck in HS until i graduate in spring of next year.

I don't wanna be stuck in another boring school for another 4 years, so i decided to enlist in the military, that way I will be able to see the world after i graduate while at the same time I'll be creating a future for me when i get home..

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:31 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,891,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Spiritual Laws?!?, Screw that.. thats not going to get you far in life.
I hated high school and I still finished, I even went to one of the worst high schools in my state.. I forced my self to stay in High School.. becuase I did.. I know make $15,000+ more a year on top of having a bachelors degree and the career I chose. That probably wasnt the smartest move and sorry dude, but chances are slim in getting a good job with out a diploma from High School, we are in a "ever changing society" you will be luck if you can.. go to college at least.

Dont plan to ever make over $130,000 a year with out a diploma.
Thats the way I thought, I changed my ways and now i'm making that kind of money.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:49 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,508,395 times
You could move to Vegas and get a job in entertainment or hospitality. I think your personality would matter most in a job like that. Or maybe you could move to the rural west and live the simple life working a ranch.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:33 PM

887 posts, read 2,669,615 times
Get that GED brah.. you're still getting a job, right? McDonalds?

If you're not getting a job, sustain yourself if art/music? I'd rec. a place like Boston or for a lower COL, Atlanta/Houston.

If you're getting a real job, then this is dumb-- I'm sure being an office worker is better than a min. wage job?

Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,475,179 times
i feel you, im 16 and thought about dropping out as i well, like you i feel like people ***** about retarded **** that is totally pointless, but like a poster has said if you want to succeed your going to have to conform to society...

for example i hate drinking, i hate dancing, as a matter of fact i totally dis like social situations i wish we could just be animals and bang people and then go sit by ourselves.. but you know what i gotta do this because its just what i gotta do if i want to have friends / relationships...

i hate doing pointless school work but i have to so i can get into university and make money.

hope you get my point

Old 06-11-2009, 10:40 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,475,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I'm also 17 and I'm not a fan of H.S. I had thoughts to drop out many times this year, but i was lucky enough to have supportive people in my life to show me that I'm going to need that HS diploma if i wanna get anywhere in life. So I'm stuck in HS until i graduate in spring of next year.

I don't wanna be stuck in another boring school for another 4 years, so i decided to enlist in the military, that way I will be able to see the world after i graduate while at the same time I'll be creating a future for me when i get home..

Just a thought.

lol im joining the army as well.. free travel they feed and house me, and pay me....

Sure its hard work but somebody has to do it.... heck i dont mind getting shot at or shooting i could get shot driving down the street which has happened ive been caught in a shootout so w.e.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:42 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,298,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbomac05 View Post
im 17 and dont go to school, but i am smart

i feel like modern society creates problems that dont need to be, the only thing that matters is being healthy and eating your next meal to stay alive

people complain about stupid stuff that doesent even matter

Now i could play it safe get a degree and some fake job or i can enjoy my life to the fullest and see things.

My question is do you have any advice on what place is the best for me to live.

Thanks

so is florida good i heard alot of people with no degree

Anyways im a real person who doesent worry about little things and dont care about money to much, people and places are what matters

Any city; you need to be in an urban area for the services and public transport.
South of the Mason/Dixon is better; not only is the recession hitting harder up north, but you don't have to worry about freezing to death down here.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:55 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,987,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post

So much for the faces but someones gotta tell this kid working at McDonalds and only making under $20,000 a year sucks thats almost poverty now a days.. at the rate this country is going it will be poverty level soon.. you cant so much with out high school and some college in todays world.. were not in the 80s or 90s anymore.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:56 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,298,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
So much for the faces but someones gotta tell this kid working at McDonalds and only making under $20,000 a year sucks thats almost poverty now a days.. at the rate this country is going it will be poverty level soon.. you cant so much with out high school and some college in todays world.. were not in the 80s or 90s anymore.

Nothing "sucks" when you're a teenager or an early-20s.
Working at McDonalds or the equivalent, or doing some sort of construction work, living in an efficiency apartment with five other people, not having health insurance (he probably won't need it at his age).
Life is fun when you're young, no matter what you do.

Being poor doesn't suck until later; fortunately, it's never too late to change one's condition. This is America, after all.
But yes, it gets harder as you get older.
If you don't do things in the right order, it is harder to go back and do them later on.
It can be still done; it's just harder.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:46 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,306,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
lol im joining the army as well.. free travel they feed and house me, and pay me....

Sure its hard work but somebody has to do it.... heck i dont mind getting shot at or shooting i could get shot driving down the street which has happened ive been caught in a shootout so w.e.
I'm not joining the army, I enlisted in the navy. I'm not into killing people and putting myself at a greater risk of being killed.

But either way i think enlisting in any branch of the military is a great thing to do for someone who isn't into the whole college/school scene, and wants to see the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or