U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:50 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times

Advertisements

I say stay in school, man. If nothing else, think about the people in this country that have fought to get better conditions for their children to go to school. I've done the HS, college and a 4 year bid in the Army thing and just think about how good it is to have options in life.

With that said, I will say that it is never too late as long as you have life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 05:03 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,296,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I'm not joining the army, I enlisted in the navy. I'm not into killing people and putting myself at a greater risk of being killed.

But either way i think enlisting in any branch of the military is a great thing to do for someone who isn't into the whole college/school scene, and wants to see the world.

If you look at the government statistics, the Navy is statistically the safest branch of the US military.
Very little chance of coming to harm there, although I've heard that life on board ship gets pretty tedious.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:04 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,296,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
If you look at the government statistics, the Navy is statistically the safest branch of the US military.
Very little chance of coming to harm there, although I've heard that life on board ship gets pretty tedious.
Yes thats why I said I enlisted in the Navy, I want to be safe and have a bright future ahead of me after the Navy.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:11 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,664,378 times
I'm going to assume your problem in your senior or junior year. It's pretty pointless and unnecessary to drop out now.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:06 AM

5,682 posts, read 8,749,928 times
I'm glad you're getting your GED. I can relate to your free spirit-hood & don't care for the 40 hr 9-5. But then I was incredibly lucky to have parents that helped set me up in business.

If I were in your shoes I would look for a tecknical school that will lead to certification in a skill, hopefully in a line of work where you'll find part time jobs. It really will help to have something that will set you apart from the crowd of job seekers.

Now I pay a ridiculously high sum for health insurance but I consider that my freedom tax. I am sooo looking forward to the day when "affordable" health insurance isn't tied to ones job and people are free to work part time should they choose.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:47 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,814,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbomac05 View Post
im 17 and dont go to school, but i am smart

i feel like modern society creates problems that dont need to be, the only thing that matters is being healthy and eating your next meal to stay alive

people complain about stupid stuff that doesent even matter

Now i could play it safe get a degree and some fake job or i can enjoy my life to the fullest and see things.

My question is do you have any advice on what place is the best for me to live.

Thanks

so is florida good i heard alot of people with no degree

Anyways im a real person who doesent worry about little things and dont care about money to much, people and places are what matters

Unless you are somehow able to latch onto a job where you can show off your strengths and abilities, you should consider some kind of school. Colleges and trade schools, something like that. It does not necessarily have to be a 4-year school. You have to be interested in something. Where you decide to live depends a lot on where you can land a good job.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:17 PM

204 posts, read 572,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbomac05 View Post
im 17 and dont go to school, but i am smart

i feel like modern society creates problems that dont need to be, the only thing that matters is being healthy and eating your next meal to stay alive

people complain about stupid stuff that doesent even matter

Now i could play it safe get a degree and some fake job or i can enjoy my life to the fullest and see things.

My question is do you have any advice on what place is the best for me to live.

Thanks

so is florida good i heard alot of people with no degree

Anyways im a real person who doesent worry about little things and dont care about money to much, people and places are what matters

To get ahead in this world, you're going to likely need education. Very very very few people have the moxy to get ahead without one. You may be one of those people, but why take that chance?

If I were in your shoes I would definitely finish my high school diploma OR get a GED and enroll in a local community college. If you're as smart as you say you are and willing to work hard, you'll have no trouble earning an AA within 2 years. It will also open up tons of doors for you.

If you can find a job in Florida. Come! The state has reasonable costs of living with the exception of South Florida, and it has good post-secondary education.

Get your GED, speak to someone in the community colleges and find out exactly what you have to do to qualify for instate tuition, work full time till you qualify and then work towards your AA.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

Last edited by CollegeGuy9; 06-13-2009 at 01:28 PM..

Old 06-13-2009, 01:18 PM

204 posts, read 572,689 times
As others have stated, the Navy would be a good option due because the GI bill will help fund our education after you get out.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:25 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,552,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I'm glad you're getting your GED. I can relate to your free spirit-hood & don't care for the 40 hr 9-5. But then I was incredibly lucky to have parents that helped set me up in business.

If I were in your shoes I would look for a tecknical school that will lead to certification in a skill, hopefully in a line of work where you'll find part time jobs. It really will help to have something that will set you apart from the crowd of job seekers.

Now I pay a ridiculously high sum for health insurance but I consider that my freedom tax. I am sooo looking forward to the day when "affordable" health insurance isn't tied to ones job and people are free to work part time should they choose.
The people with the best education aren't really doing the 9-5 though... They are working in science labs, hospitals, law, universities, think tanks, etc...usually with much more flexible hours, more vacation, etc. You should probably try to maximize your education if you have the brains or work ethic for it.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:53 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,964,931 times
This was crossed posted on the Florida forum. I posted on there to get his HS diploma or GED. He is going nowhere without either, especially as a MINOR at age 17. It doesn't matter what state he is in without them. Besides, he will never be accepted into either CC or a trade school without them, OR at the age of 17 without his parents consent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or