U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:15 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,197,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Hmmm...the OP hasn't posted in a couple of days. Maybe his internet provider complained about "stupid stuff", like paying the bill.
Maybe his internet provider grounded him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 07:19 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,297,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I can almost guarantee that if you come to Florida without a diploma, you'll end up in jail within the first year.

Do yourself a favor, get your GED. You aren't as smart as you think you are, and your attitude shows tremendous immaturity.
My husband dropped out in the late 80s, and never got a GED.
For men, it doesn't seem to be so important.
He worked in the construction trade for a decade, and now works as a carpenter doing remodels.
It's back-breaking labor, but if that's what the young man wants to do, it's there for him, I guess, and he doesn't need a GED to do it.

I, too, would recommend a GED (and maybe a few hours of college or trade school after that, just so that he can say his highest level of educational attainment isn't a GED; "some college" sounds so much better to employers).
But I don't think you'll automatically end up in jail without one.
You'll just... you'll do hard physical labor; if you're hardworking and lucky, you'll make contacts, catch yourself an apprenticeship, learn a trade on the job. If you're not lucky or hard-working, you'll just keep laboring at roofing or framing until your body wears out when you're in your mid-30s or so, and then you can go on disability.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:19 PM

26,085 posts, read 28,495,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Being poor doesn't suck until later; fortunately, it's never too late to change one's condition. This is America, after all.
But yes, it gets harder as you get older.
If you don't do things in the right order, it is harder to go back and do them later on.
It can be still done; it's just harder.
I agree 100%. I would just emphasize, it's A LOT harder....harder than someone age 17 could understand. And most people who do things in the "wrong" order wish they had done them in the "right" order when they had the chance.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:29 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,449,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbomac05 View Post
im 17 and dont go to school, but i am smart

i feel like modern society creates problems that dont need to be, the only thing that matters is being healthy and eating your next meal to stay alive

people complain about stupid stuff that doesent even matter

Now i could play it safe get a degree and some fake job or i can enjoy my life to the fullest and see things.

My question is do you have any advice on what place is the best for me to live.

Thanks

so is florida good i heard alot of people with no degree

Anyways im a real person who doesent worry about little things and dont care about money to much, people and places are what matters
( in no particular order):
Sacramento, California
Dayton/Cleveland/Columbus/Cincinnati/Arkson/Youngstown/Mansfield, Ohio
Atlanta, Georgia
Newark/ Jersey city, New Jersey
Bronx/Buffalo and Rochester, New York

I think I listed the main ones

Old 06-13-2009, 10:08 PM

243 posts, read 396,877 times
I would recommend checking out this website they tell you about hot jobs and stuff maybe u can find a good job with out a college education

Welcome to America's Career InfoNet

I would at least get my ged if i was you and go for one of those little schools that u can pick up something in 9 weeks and go for it. Cna Medical Coding and billing etc they are always in demand.

Or if you hate school complety go for a state/goverment job.at a nursing home or a va hosptal work in the kitchen or do housekeeping they are always looking for people to do that. Or work in a private hosptal or nursing home in the kithen or house keeping im telling u after scrubbing pots and mopping for 8 hours u will want to go to some kind of schooling asap

Old 06-13-2009, 10:13 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Quote:
You'll just... you'll do hard physical labor; if you're hardworking and lucky, you'll make contacts, catch yourself an apprenticeship, learn a trade on the job. If you're not lucky or hard-working, you'll just keep laboring at roofing or framing until your body wears out when you're in your mid-30s or so, and then you can go on disability.
Not around here. There's no work like that around here. Over 50% of people in construction are laid off, and when you've got a guy with five years experience willing to work for minimum wage, nobody is going to hire an underage, inexperienced kid with no references and no prospects.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree 100%. I would just emphasize, it's A LOT harder....harder than someone age 17 could understand. And most people who do things in the "wrong" order wish they had done them in the "right" order when they had the chance.

Yeah, I agree with that, as well.
It's harder than you can imagine at 17.
At 17, you don't realize that you just won't have nearly as much energy when you're 30.
Getting old sucks.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
I would recommend checking out this website they tell you about hot jobs and stuff maybe u can find a good job with out a college education

Welcome to America's Career InfoNet

I would at least get my ged if i was you and go for one of those little schools that u can pick up something in 9 weeks and go for it. Cna Medical Coding and billing etc they are always in demand.

Or if you hate school complety go for a state/goverment job.at a nursing home or a va hosptal work in the kitchen or do housekeeping they are always looking for people to do that. Or work in a private hosptal or nursing home in the kithen or house keeping im telling u after scrubbing pots and mopping for 8 hours u will want to go to some kind of schooling asap

Yeah, if you work in a nursing home or a home for the disabled, they'll train you before you start to be a nurses aide. It's like a 72 hour course, you get a certificate and everything. Most places will even pay you for the days you're training.
I had a great job with a place that took care of people who were basically so profoundly retarded that they were vegetative. The pay was good, they got me an aide certification before i even started and everything. The benefits were good. You only had to have a GED to work there.
But once I started, I realized that I wasn't strong enough to do the job. I'm very small, and the job required me to lift or roll some patients twice my size, to change their diapers or get them into their wheelchairs.
I had been told during training that staff always did two-person lifts, and nobody ever had to lift a patient alone... but the reality of the situation turned out to be different. There wasn't enough staff to always do 2-person lifts.
So i quit after about a week, because I just wasn't physically strong enough, and I was afraid I was going to hurt a patient by dropping them onto the floor or something. And those poor people were completely helpless.

But see, you (the OP, I mean) would probably have no trouble doing that job. And the pay was really good, and so were the benefits.
But you'd need a GED.

With a GED, you could also work in the state hospital, doing much the same job as I described above (that job was actually at a private institution, though).
Or you could work at any hospital, in dietary, housekeeping, laundry.
None of those jobs require anything more than a GED, but they all at least require that.
Everything else you need- certifications, whatever- they'll train you.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:36 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,300,314 times
Quote:
My husband dropped out in the late 80s, and never got a GED.
For men, it doesn't seem to be so important.
He worked in the construction trade for a decade, and now works as a carpenter doing remodels.
It's back-breaking labor, but if that's what the young man wants to do, it's there for him, I guess, and he doesn't need a GED to do it.

I, too, would recommend a GED (and maybe a few hours of college or trade school after that, just so that he can say his highest level of educational attainment isn't a GED; "some college" sounds so much better to employers).
But I don't think you'll automatically end up in jail without one.
The 80s were a totally different time. It was a LOT easier for a person to get by in life without a GED or diploma back then. Now you pretty much NEED your GED or diploma to do anything.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:06 AM

15,730 posts, read 26,766,913 times
Wow. Wants to get by with little of any education. That is just amazing today. We live in a nation and at a time when anyone that wants one can get an education and this guy wants to skip out on that. Amazing. I just don't know how a person makes it without a marketable skill or an education of some kind. My kids always tell me that they are going to make money creating video games. If they can make just one game then continuing on in school wouldn't be needed anymore. I agree with them. I also told my kids that if they could do it that they could do it now. Many others are doing just that. My oldest realized that he is missing some important steps to make his video game dream come true and that he now will be heading out to college when he graduates from high school next year. If the OP has found a way to make his dreams come true without getting an education, good for him. From reading several of his posts I don't see it though and would suggest going back to school not just for a GED or High School diploma but for at least a Bachelors degree in a marketable program. Meaning that Sociology majors may not pay what is needed to live in most places. Just my thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or