U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:06 AM

8,648 posts, read 15,350,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
hey we are all gonna die anyways, could be tomorrow so might as well live life up, we cant take a degree or money to heaven.
"or money to heaven.

True but you don't have to live in hell on earth if you have a little money...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 11:06 AM

3,070 posts, read 10,730,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
San Diego (or anywhere in CA) would normally be a horrible choice for a dropout, unless you plan on living on the street. You have to compete with illegal immigrants for low paying work and the cost of living is very high.
Good point.

With San Diego and Florida, I was more talking about the weather than that. It's pretty fair to assume that he'd be spending a lot of time outside, whether homeless or just moving around looking for more work and things to do.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:42 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,061,407 times
Thinking on what I said at another thread possibly Texas. The percent of people who have completed high school is below average and they have a fair amount of oil/mining plus some tourism.

High school diploma or higher, by percentage (most recent) by state

Possibility of heat stroke I suppose, but less possibility of freezing to death in most of it. Parts of Oklahoma might also work and the suggestion of Nevada maybe makes sense. Granted it's a dumb thing to advise for as I think people should finish High School if they can. (There might be cases where a person can't due to hardship or mental or physical disability. Although for physical disability it'd have to be pretty severe, I'd think, as I got my Bachelor's degree despite being a tiny deformed dude with a wheelchair)

Old 06-20-2009, 12:35 PM

43 posts, read 99,409 times
You are not a smart kid. You think you have everything figured out. You will be miserable from age 30 on if you do not get your high school diploma (possibly even earlier, depends on how big of a burn out you end up being. If you can act like 17 year old for the next 13 years then by golly, you've got some problems). Your ideology will change with age. You will look at yourself in 15 years and ask,"why did I do this to myself?" You will most likely end up doing drugs and getting involved with other delusional losers like yourself. Smack yourself across the head and do something good for yourself. Everyone else goes through the same ****; you are not special or different. Buck up and get it done. It is people like you that cause me to have to forfeit my hard earned money to help pay for your bullshi% medical bills and welfare. This makes me sick. If you are going to become a low-life, do it in another country. The United States is a place for opportunity. If you are just going to shi* that down the toilet then get out of here.

Life is an art. Everything that goes on in life happens for a reason. If you do the right thing and work hard, good things will happen. Be something in society. You do not even come close to understanding the art in life. The motifs played throughout ones life are divine. You will not experience the beauty in life if you decide to become a low life. It is going to be even more miserable when you see your friends branch off and become someone, and have "materials". Like a life. I see it with a few of my best friends. It makes me feel sick and uncomfortable when I am around them. I feel like a pompous *******. I would love to help them out but I do not trust them. I know they will take the money I give them and go buy a quarter-pound and try and flip it. You will end up doing the same thing. You need money to survive. Do something for yourself. You are more than young enough to turn things around. Please brother, go talk to somebody and change your game plan.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:48 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,508,713 times
How did the saying go, "Too cool for school, too stupid for the real world, guess I'll be a rock star." If you want to swim against the tide for the rest of your life, that's your choice. Every day it gets harder for people to find work. If you don't want to get an education so you can have a leg up on other applicants, you can continue to do jobs anyone can qualify for but nobody wants to do.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:01 PM

204 posts, read 574,384 times
blah

Old 08-01-2009, 06:58 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,699,984 times
When I read a number of posts I find it unbelievable that some responses actually want to address this poor person and his dilemma in a way that could really have this person remain in a deficient way for some time to come.

Why not address how to fix what seems to be broken?

Now hear this: Most towns North, South, East or West will provide free educational help for someone to attain a GED. I would not want anyone I know inform me he/she is smart but is not searching to finish HS. The building blocks from a HS diploma can open many paths normally blocked by a letter that says “You finished high School, congratulations.”

At this moment I am watching Reclaiming the Dream on CNN…There are fantastic lessons for all races to learn by viewing this program. I love the lessons the African Americans are suggesting and the lessons should be a requirement for parents, students and those who feel school is not for them. The lessons begin with education because it is the education that finds a unique place in any persons desires.

I believe all of us would love to help this person find and go to school so this person can succeed because nothing is out of the hands of a person who wants to succeed. If someone can think then I believe the person can succeed. However if the person just wants to find a state who deals positively with uneducated people it soon becomes a disabling beginning for any person.

Let’s find this person a school where he/she lives that will provide a person the start or I should say a GED ….!!!!!

Old 08-01-2009, 07:17 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,006,273 times
Save up for a mobile home.
You can see all sorts of things rent/mortgage free. Just have enough for gas and food... But that's really the best solution

I'm also 17, but I'm doing my senior year when this summer is over, and i plan on going to college... But I know plenty of people who have dropped out. Some of the kids were emancipated and kicked out of their parents house; I know one is doing decent, and he's on time with his rent working full time as a Janitor at a hospital but he can't hang out with his high school friends as much... He practically has no social life.
He's living in a one bedroom apartment in Paterson, NJ and he's 17 living with an 18 year old room mate.

You might make it by in better condition, but it's most likely not going to be easy

I say go back to school. What do you have to lose? It's one more year, make it a good year, I know it sucks, but a diploma opens more doors than no diploma. You think a place will care if you claim your smart, they'll just think you're lying and assume you were to lazy to do the work. It won't get you most places. Especially now.
If anything, get a GED.

Last edited by BPerone201; 08-01-2009 at 07:26 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 06:12 AM

324 posts, read 902,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Florida isn't that hard of a place to get by. If you like simple pleasures FL is a good place to be.
Yeah, it's great for the homeless because of the warm weather year round.

Kid, go back to school, or get your GED. Learn a trade, make a life for yourself.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:35 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,574,629 times
Louisiana would work well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or