Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:16 PM

16 posts, read 31,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
If you're as smart as you think you are, you'd just finish school. Or at least get a GED. Otherwise, believe me you'll have problems later and will just make life harder for yourself.
ya im gonna get my ged but i find simple things in life great

im not into material things

i recommend you read the 7 spiritual laws to success
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:33 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Sure, FL. You would fit right in.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:16 PM

33 posts, read 74,758 times
^^^I would add pretty much any major city in America. My hometown of Detroit has about a 25% graduation rate. Most major cities have somewhere between 20-55% rates. If you are looking to be successful without degrees I would suggest LA and the entertainment business. Success is based on luck, personality and willingness to work hard and put up with BS (which may not be your strong suit). I figured I would mention it though as it is quite possible to "work your way up" in that business although it usually means years of 60+ hours a week and poverty. There are a lot of dog walking, personal assistant, nanny, etc. jobs also which often don't require a degree to keep you out of McDonalds while you get on your feet. Also "7 spiritual laws of success" is right up the LA/Hollywood alley . I admire your effort. Good Luck!

Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
You're right about a lot of things, but trust me, you must conform if you want to make it in this society. That is, unless, you want to be on the fringe of society for life. You could always move to another country and rent jet skis on a beach. Money isn't everything, right?

I was similar to you but eventually I realized that higher education is the way to go. I recommend getting your G.E.D. and looking into universities. It's not fun working full time and going to school full time. You are so young that you can change things now. Do it!
Agreed

Old 06-11-2009, 01:28 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
I would suggest getting your High School Degree.

Getting a good job without one is difficult. For the most part, High School dropouts end up working for minimum wage or close to it.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:49 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
I'd agree on getting your high school degree. I think you can be spiritual, and non-consumerish, while having an education. People don't necessarily get an education to get rich, I didn't. I think an education can help you understand different kinds of people better and maybe improve your ability to help others.

Although I sympathize that High School does suck for many people, I didn't care for it, but it also does end.

Still in case formal education is legitimately hard for you for some reason this site does have a list of towns that perform well despite having a relatively low education.

http://www.city-data.com/top17.html

If you're into the spiritual thing you might want to look into a monastery or commune. I seriously considered that for much of my life, but I think I'm too disorderly and private to fit communal life. I get the sense you're not Catholic or Orthodox, but I believe there's plenty of Buddhist or Sufi or even Theosophist type communes/monasteries in California. Or you could try to go to like cooking or art school or something.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:09 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Just remember, every choice you make in life has the potential to limit your future choices down the road. Your goal in life should be to maximize your choices.

For example, a young woman who has a baby out of wedlock decreases her chances of finding a future husband because some men won't consider dating/marrying someone with a child that is not theirs. Her choice of men pool gets smaller. It might limit her choice of the job she can work if she has to be home at a particular time to send the babysitter home. It might limit her choice of whether she can take a vacation and if she does, where she can go. It might limit her food choices if she has to eat cheaply or is on public assistance. If she depends on her parents to help her in their house, it might limit what she can do, period, if she's living with them. It might limit her choices in her mid-thirties when that child is ready for college.

Not graduating high school may limit your choices on where you can live, spouse choices as in the number of women willing to marry you/date you, choices of what social activities you'll be able to pursue/afford, choice of when you can retire, choices for job advancement, if you find a job, etc.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:23 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
Based on the thread topic and your first post my guess would just be somewhere in a warmer climate in or near a major city. A place with pretty mild temperature in case you are homeless for any period of time. A place with an abundance of free clinics and shelters. Also a place where you can get a job to get by without having a high school diploma. I would guess somewhere down in Florida or San Diego, CA.

I do admire your views and what you feel what you want to do with your life, but they aren't entirely realistic or that smart. If I could give you some advice it would be to just finish up with high school and get a diploma or GED at the very least, and then after that you can go do this. That way if it doesn't completely work out or if you need a job that requires a diploma/GED you will have something to fall back on and make money with instead of having to go back to get your diploma/GED in the future.

In the world today there is a certain amount of things you have to conform to to survive. I also dropped out of high school about the same age as you did around 17 I was in the 11th grade at the time. This was about 11 years ago. My reasons for dropping out were different though, I had to support myself/family, and school didn't allow me enough time to do that. Also the fact that the majority of kids my age in the neighborhood had already dropped out (I'm from a rough neighborhood). Within a year I was trying to get an actual job and since I didn't even have my diploma noone would hire me, it was hard enough getting a job just being from the neighborhood I was from and my record. I quickly learned I had to get it if I ever wanted a job so I went back and got my GED within a year or two of that. What I'm basically saying is go get your diploma or GED (it wont take long), and after that you can go do this or whatever you want. It will help you a lot.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:29 AM

767 posts, read 2,066,116 times
Sorry. But the best place for a high school dropout is back in high school. Believe me, you will need that diploma in life.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:19 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbomac05 View Post
ya im gonna get my ged but i find simple things in life great

im not into material things

i recommend you read the 7 spiritual laws to success
You do remind me of myself, except I actually graduated High School. But we kind of sound the same. There is nothing spiritual about being in 4 foot by 6 foot cubicle from 8am-5pm (like me). But do you know what is spiritual? Chillin on a beach in key west soley due to the money you earned while sacrificing a lil bit each day. American society is not set up to be spiritual. It is a materialistic society. So, unless you move to Northern California or Southern Oregon, you are going to create many obstacles for yourself by going 100% in the spiritual direction and 0% in the material direction. How do you spend your time if you are not in school? Do you do artsy things like paint or take photos? There are ways to apply those skills and make money from them. You have to have spiritual pursuits in life that will allow you mold into a western way of life. You just have to apply yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I agree with At1withnature. Even though you don't agree with it, you just have to conform with society. You don't want to end up on the streets or making minimum wage when you're 50 years old and looking to retire. You don't want to be working the rest of your life. Especially if you need to support a family. Maybe you can make an okay living making min. wage in certain areas of the country, but you still won't have much at all leftover to do anything else.
Those 50 year olds are the ones that become super bitter about life and think every waking moment..."that's what I should of did." No one wants to become that. A few years of fun in your teenage years isn't worth several decades of mental anguish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.