U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:54 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,288,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorac View Post
My cities would be

ofcourse NY
Atlanta with Marta, Atlanta is walkable
Dallas is getting the green line & a line to the Airport, then linking up to Fort worth & going all the way to Hulan Mall. Dallas is walkable

Austin is very walkable. The new commuter lines will help

Seattle is walkable in my opinion

Denver with the light rail. yes very walkable

San Francisco & San Diego bet Los Angeles because you can't walk in LA with out getting shot or stabbed

Houston is not on the list. They are not adding on to the rail system for awhile & it is just not walkable

Philadelphia I would think & Washington D.C plus Boston maybe

That's all I know
Funny because Los Angeles is statistically safer than Washington DC, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas on that list. All have higher crime rates and higher murder rates than L.A., one of the safest large cities in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 04:16 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Quote:
My cities would be

ofcourse NY
Atlanta with Marta, Atlanta is walkable
Dallas is getting the green line & a line to the Airport, then linking up to Fort worth & going all the way to Hulan Mall. Dallas is walkable

Austin is very walkable. The new commuter lines will help

Seattle is walkable in my opinion

Denver with the light rail. yes very walkable

San Francisco & San Diego bet Los Angeles because you can't walk in LA with out getting shot or stabbed

Houston is not on the list. They are not adding on to the rail system for awhile & it is just not walkable

Philadelphia I would think & Washington D.C plus Boston maybe

That's all I know
Public Transit dosen't equal walkability. That's just only a part of it. Btw, Houston is adding rail.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:26 PM

146 posts, read 458,880 times
When is Houston suppose to have the new rail? they put it on hold?

I agree that Houston is not that safe to walk in. My friend was walking in Houston & got stabbed & robbed, plus the air quality in Houston is sometimes bad like LA & your urged not to go outside

Old 06-17-2009, 02:30 PM

146 posts, read 458,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
LOLZ, what part of LA were you in, Compton??
I've actually never been to LA but my friends that lived there told me about the drive by shottings & about all the gangs but I guess it has changed?

Old 06-17-2009, 05:51 PM

4,570 posts, read 6,544,689 times
Quote:
I've actually never been to LA but my friends that lived there told me about the drive by shottings & about all the gangs but I guess it has changed?
It still happens from time to time, but compared to the 90s, it has significantly decreased in LA.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:53 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,412,818 times
Quote:
LA is a huge place. Some neighborhoods are rough, many are not. Your friends either are involved in that lifestyle, live in a really bad neighborhood, or are simply having some fun by making up some tale tales.

I managed to live three years in LA getting around by foot and by public transportation and never once was shot at, mugged, or stabbed. My experience was the norm for most people, not the exception. There is crime in LA, certainly, but there is crime in many cities.

Made it through a visit to Houston (lots of walking) without getting robbed or stabbed, too, although I was involved in a minor light rail accident.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:39 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,674,548 times
Quote:
When is Houston suppose to have the new rail? they put it on hold?

I agree that Houston is not that safe to walk in. My friend was walking in Houston & got stabbed & robbed, plus the air quality in Houston is sometimes bad like LA & your urged not to go outside
I believe constructions goes back into affect either this month or next month. Houston is not a dangerous city to walk in, your friend just happened to be one of the unlucky ones.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:32 AM

3,436 posts, read 5,982,819 times
Albuquerque, with the New Mesa Del Sol Development. Well Albuquerque's South-east Side.
The Far North-west Side is very walkable! Thats why I moved there.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
At least in a walkable city:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How do you get to the train?
Foot.

Quote:
How does your kid get to school?
Foot or transit.

Quote:
How do you go on vacation?
Car, transit or bicycle .

Quote:
How do products get to you in the city?
Road but possibly by freight rail.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:53 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,723,251 times
By then the Zombie Apocalypse will have raged on for a few years. Plenty of places to live in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.