U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 PM

44 posts, read 50,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Nice to see how much Germany has progressed

I'm not the biggest fan of Israel or AIPAC, but many many of our wars or Russia's having nothing to do with them. I doubt Zionists much cared about Noriega either way or Kosovo or on the Russian side Chechnya. Afghanistan wasn't even really a threat to Israel.
1. Im Germany? Most Germans dont say anything against zionism - theyre afraid or just too well adapted to break taboos ...
In Germany freedom of speech is powerless because the people do and think what the institutions (big parties, media, teachers) teach them. Were an obedient people.

2. Yes they are of one of the most powerful, but not the only lobby ... of course
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:45 PM

69,307 posts, read 58,739,180 times
I was not comparing the US to Brazil, I was saying there's lot of trash around.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:51 PM

225 posts, read 601,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
speaking of the International dateline, my family is from Tonga, right on the Intl dateline and when my paternal grandfather came to the US in 1985 we went to SFO to pick him up from the airport and when he walked out of the airport the automatic doors of the airport terminal opened and he started crying. I asked him why he's crying and he replies "Now I know that I am in the Promised Land" and I ask him 'why?', to which he replies "Because God just opened the door for me".

Now that is a wonderful story.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:02 PM

13,856 posts, read 13,556,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanCiticen View Post
1. Im Germany?
I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek. Don't worry about it, it was kind of offtopic of me anyway.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:25 PM

13,856 posts, read 13,556,708 times
Anyway by one measure our infrastructure is actually quite good even by the standard of modern nations.

Infrastructure statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

We also come out well on innovation, technology, University system, and productivity. Americans are more optimistic and satisfied with life than in many European nations.

By the standards of the modern world we're also high in murders, prisoners, obesity, childhood poverty, infant mortality, and abortion.

Both things are true. If you value hard work, optimism, creativity, and self-reliance America comes out pretty good. If you are more about safety, health, peace, and protecting the weakest of us America might not look so hot. (This is a simplification of course)

Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 PM

Another shocking thing
were shocked that nowadays many american teens play soccer

Katiana@

Yes our school system in Germany is a class system - we have three types of schools, we seperate the children after only 4 years, allthough after that there are oportunities to change the school level

On the other hand, in america youve to pay much money for a good private school and university ...

The famous expression "everyone has the same chance" is a bubble, wheather in Germany or in america ...

Old 06-16-2009, 10:46 PM

5,823 posts, read 11,498,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I was living overseas during hurricane Katrina. From 12,000 miles away millions of people watched the stranded people of New Orleans on their rooftops begging for help day after day. I was questioned personally as to why nothing was being done and these people had been there for days without rescue? Where was the government? It was incomprehensible to them that this desperation went unanswered in America.

I had no answer for them.
I don't want this to turn political, but legally, the Federal Government cannot do anything until the city and state ask for help.

And for a while, the city of New Orleans the state of Louisiana did not ask for help.

I'm not a Bush supporter in any way, but unfortunately, sometimes people attack the president, rather than attacking the mayor of New Orleans and Governor of Louisiana. I'm sure they did what they could themselves, but they should have asked for Federal help right away. They did not.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:49 PM

13,852 posts, read 25,416,203 times
Quote:
Another shocking thing

Katiana@

Yes our school system in Germany is a class system - we have three types of schools, we seperate the children after only 4 years, allthough after that there are oportunities to change the school level

On the other hand, in america youve to pay much money for a good private school and university ...

The famous expression "everyone has the same chance" is a bubble, wheather in Germany or in america ...
Funny you should mention schools of higher learning

I worked with a Nurse from Germany that married and had 2 children in CA... Her Children held both US and German passports and it was he plan to have her kids attend University in Germany...

Plans change... her Daughter earned a full scholarship to Stanford, very highly rated and her Son went to a community college while he lived at home and then transferred to a State College... not the same as free, but not all that expensive either...

Old 06-16-2009, 10:52 PM

69,307 posts, read 58,739,180 times
Quote:
Another shocking thing

Katiana@

The public high school system is fine here. Both my kids graduated from public high school and went to good colleges; one went to a public college, and the other went to a private college, then a public grad school. Don't believe everything you hear.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:27 AM

Katiana@

I also can say that the public school system in Germany is fine ... but in my opinion - and im studying teacher - its not

In the USA its the same thing. The differences between exzellent and lousy schools is even bigger than here in Germany.

The universities in the USA in general seem to be more flexible and modern, because there is more personal assistance for the students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.