U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 08:28 AM

87,171 posts, read 103,126,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanCiticen View Post
Katiana@

I also can say that the public school system in Germany is fine ... but in my opinion - and im studying teacher - its not

In the USA its the same thing. The differences between exzellent and lousy schools is even bigger than here in Germany.

The universities in the USA in general seem to be more flexible and modern, because there is more personal assistance for the students.
Yes, the university system here is fairly flexible, especially at the big public universities, such as the University of Colorado where my daughter went. I don't know about the quality of the German high schools. In the US, the big suburban districts are usually quite good. In the ciites, it's a little more spotty, e.g. good schools and not-so-good ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 08:36 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,719,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
They don't make 'em like they used to. Old houses are better detailed, have more character, and will probably outlast the newer ones. Most of those old houses here in the U.S. are built like bomb shelters. If you update the insulation, windows, etc. and maintain them they're so much nicer.
I heard someone say once that some of the new cheap homes in St. Louis you could almost kick a hole through with your foot. Most of the older buildings in St. Louis are built of brick. You don't want to kick them.

Unfortunately, Brick is also an easy target in an empty neighborhood for brick thieves.

We had a Russian exchange student at our church a few years ago. One time they were watching TV at the parsonage (the student lived with our pastor and his family) and Britney Spears or someone came on TV. The exchange student said, "American women wear little clothing" or something to that effect.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:18 AM

As far as accents, I'll be honest, I have a hard time differentiating between Australia and British. And there seem to be a wide variety of British accents, including Scottish.

But I also have a hard time telling the difference between an American accent (like my own) and Canadian, but there usually isn't a big difference, other than the long vowels of Canadians. Of course, American accents vary quite a bit from New York, to LA, to Texas, etc.

I saw an Australian band here a few years ago. They mentioned cheeseburgers as big as your head.

I guess Australian and British accents vary as well.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:25 AM

15,607 posts, read 17,901,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I also understand that German kids are "tracked" at AGE 10 into academic and vocational tracks, and only the academics can go to college. Here, anyone can go to a community college.
What you need to understand is that in Germany, trade/vocational schools are the Community Colleges and provide a more comprehensive education than is available to non-University students in the U.S.

I have to say that Germany's dual-vocational education program is excellent and should be admired and considered by American education advocates. In the States, anyone with a pulse is 'tracked' into University despite their proclivities. As a former TA in freshmen composition, I can tell you that many students would probably benefit from opportunities in the trades which are rewarding, creative, and well paid and don't require a degree in esoteric humanities. Many of my students were uninterested and apathetic, describing their presence at University as an option to unemployment.

Instead of developing and training a skilled diverse workforce like Germany has, we are training an army of telemarketers with no practical skills, myself included ;-)

ABQConvict

Old 06-17-2009, 11:37 AM

87,171 posts, read 103,126,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
What you need to understand is that in Germany, trade/vocational schools are the Community Colleges and provide a more comprehensive education than is available to non-University students in the U.S.

I have to say that Germany's dual-vocational education program is excellent and should be admired and considered by American education advocates. In the States, anyone with a pulse is 'tracked' into University despite their proclivities. As a former TA in freshmen composition, I can tell you that many students would probably benefit from opportunities in the trades which are rewarding, creative, and well paid and don't require a degree in esoteric humanities. Many of my students were uninterested and apathetic, describing their presence at University as an option to unemployment.

Instead of developing and training a skilled diverse workforce like Germany has, we are training an army of telemarketers with no practical skills, myself included ;-)

ABQConvict
"Community College" starting at age 10? I would hate to cut off someone's choices that young. There are many late-bloomers, a few of whom are related to me.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:21 PM

Haha college at 10. At 10 I was watching Spongebob and eating lots of candy.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:24 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,233,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Haha college at 10. At 10 I was watching Spongebob and eating lots of candy.
Yeah, that's not right. Part of a person's development is a child hood.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:20 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,335,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
As far as accents, I'll be honest, I have a hard time differentiating between Australia and British. And there seem to be a wide variety of British accents, including Scottish.

But I also have a hard time telling the difference between an American accent (like my own) and Canadian, but there usually isn't a big difference, other than the long vowels of Canadians. Of course, American accents vary quite a bit from New York, to LA, to Texas, etc.

I saw an Australian band here a few years ago. They mentioned cheeseburgers as big as your head.

I guess Australian and British accents vary as well.
Even more difficult IMO is differentiating between Australian and New Zealand accents. I work with a couple of people from both places, and I can't honestly hear any difference - but I know not to offend them by saying so. To them there is a noticeable difference.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:55 PM

17,013 posts, read 22,380,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanCiticen View Post
3) Hidden: The gap between wealth and poverty - wealthy, very clean suburbs, run down inner cities and crappy rural back roads and homes and the high number of homeless sleeping in rows

A friend told me, that american cities are cleaner than in Germany - he has relatives in a neighborhood in LA
Others told me, that rural america is poor and lacking infrastructure - they visited friends in rural PA
"Crappy" rural roads? You mean dirt roads? Some might describe the roads in my state as crappy...perhaps, but with the heavy freeze/thaw issues every year it's impossible for the roads to be "nice" for long...

Many rural people don't want things cities have BTW.

Quote:
One told me that he took the wrong way with his car in NY in the evening. Everything run down, litter on the sideways, broken windows - he tried to get out as fast as possible.
There's such places in Europe too...

Quote:
A friend of mine - carpenter - was shocked by the low quality of many houses, cheap, but substandard houses; big suburb houses, that are built for only 10 or 20 years
Yeah that one's true, I've done construction work and was shocked by some of the things I saw...on the surface, big, expensive things like granite counters, etc., but the framing, foundation, etc. (the truly important stuff) was total crap. Now if you go into older homes you'll find much better quality...

Quote:
4) Sad: small general knowledge, especially history and geography. I heard from more than one, that some people believe that Germany is still Nazi country or that Hitler is still alive. But maybe this are runnig gags that travellers tell as if it were prevalent. You can guess it better.
Some Americans do bug Germans about the Nazi thing, sometimes with hostility, but more often than not, just insensitive joking...

Quote:
5) Crazy/stupid: A student in Texas noticed: gun- shooting of rednecks in the woods
Right- wingers trying to shoot illegals on the banks of the Rio Grande
Guns are popular not just with rednecks here. Target shooting, hunting, etc., are all quite popular. Many people carry guns for their own protection too. The right to self-defense has not been destroyed in most of the U.S. yet.

I don't believe the second portion of your statement. Are you referring to the "Minutemen" who watch the border? They don't shoot anyone...

Old 06-17-2009, 03:25 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,314,792 times
The US is pretty much what i expected and I love going back its very similar to Scotland IMHO. Of course there are minor differences.

Alot more poverty, trailer parks which dont exist here there is more of a rich and poor gap, more racial tension there than here.

I like the bigger portions with food the open spaces. I could see myself living there eventually.

I spend time there as my fiance is from there. Though I have had bad experiences with really obnoxious Americans that did not have an ounce of politeness (when I done the security with continental and U.S airways) alot of them thought they were high and mighty because they were American. I've never experienced that with any other nation though I have had more positive experiences with Americans than bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or