U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 PM

13,856 posts, read 13,801,150 times

Advertisements

I was the Geography Bee champion of my state when I was thirteen and yes people here are geographically ignorant. I've never been outside the US, but I still know a fair amount about other countries.

Things like guns and loudness might depend on where in the US you are. In some, especially rural, parts of the South or Rockies a fair amount of people really do have guns. Although I think it's rare for people to just carry their guns around with them in their day to day life. My Dad owns guns but he kept them in a cabinet and we never used them. He might mention it's a "gun cabinet", but you won't ever see the guns in it unless you want to and even then maybe not. I've met "gun nuts" but I think many gun-owners here are somewhat like my Dad, although they may hunt more than him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 11:30 PM

2,653 posts, read 7,250,562 times
I was living overseas during hurricane Katrina. From 12,000 miles away millions of people watched the stranded people of New Orleans on their rooftops begging for help day after day. I was questioned personally as to why nothing was being done and these people had been there for days without rescue? Where was the government? It was incomprehensible to them that this desperation went unanswered in America.

I had no answer for them.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 PM

990 posts, read 1,356,728 times
i went to visit a friend of mine in spartanbrug sc,i was born and raised in america,i am 100% greek and my wife is also.we are both very dark skinned and both speak greek,when we got off the plane we were discussing something in greek(it's easier to have private discussions in public this way,and i know people think it is rude but oh well).while waiting to get our luggage we had some lady from south carolina tell the airport security we were terrorists and were speaking threateningly in arabic to the other passengers.2 hours later after having all our luggage searched and talking to the local authorities were sent on our way with a free round trip anywhere in the continental us.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 PM

2,224 posts, read 4,541,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Depends on where the foreigners are from and where in the states they go. When my relatives from Taiwan visited my family in the 'burbs of LA, they're usually impressed by the size of the houses, the amount of conspicuous consumption, the little to do in suburban towns, the lack of guns everywhere and the girth of a lot of people (media from the US that makes its way over tend to have far thinner and fitter people).
I'm from the U.S. and I'm shocked by the conspicuous consumption and girth of the people in Los Angeles' suburbs...

Old 06-11-2009, 11:45 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,718,037 times
American: Can I see some ID please
Australian: Here is my drivers license
American: Victoria where's that
Australian: Its a state in Australia
American: Australia is that a part of Canada.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:28 AM

184 posts, read 607,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Was standing outside the laundromat in Port Angeles while my clothes were washing having a ciggy and using my "green" ashtray when a nice American chap wandered up to me, curious about the ashtray.

He: Oh that's cool where did you get it?
Me: At the supermarket but I'm from Australia and I don't know if they have them here in the US.
He: Oh! I've been to Austria! LOVED the Alps.
Me: I've been to Europe but I've never been to Austria. Saw the alps from the plane over Switzerland and Italy though. Very beautiful.

The look of confusion on his face was priceless until it dawned on him I meant I was from Downunder.

I have to say I'd heard about this confusion regarding Austria and Australia but thought it must have been an old wives tale until I was having the conversation.
I think I may have met the same guy .

He: So where are you from?
Me: New Zealand.
He: Where's that?
Me: It's near Australia.
He: Oh, I love Europe.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:40 AM

12,827 posts, read 19,332,084 times
Most of my DH's clients that come from abroad comment on two things:

The variety of shopping choices.

The size of our houses and yards.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:45 AM

9,925 posts, read 8,837,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNZ View Post
I think I may have met the same guy .

He: So where are you from?
Me: New Zealand.
He: Where's that?
Me: It's near Australia.
He: Oh, I love Europe.

Well I can't really talk. I mean he was a nice bloke, just a little geographically confused and it's not like I managed to master the metric to imperial conversion for my cawfee NOR do I have much clue about WHERE all the states actually fit into the USA. I'm forever referring to my trusty Atlas.

Incidently I came across a couple of Kiwis while I was at Kalaloch in the PNW AND was so excited because FINALLY I can hear through all the voices an accent that maybe sounded like mine BUT I had to hang around like a bad smell for about 5 minutes waiting for them to order because I was really struggling to work out if they were Aussie or Kiwi.

That was ANOTHER ludicrous shock to me about being in the US really. Not only was I not feeling surrounded by American accents BUT at home I can normally pick the difference between an Australian and a NZ accent but there........well I think my accent button had a malfunction or something.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:47 AM

49,807 posts, read 46,924,638 times
fat loud and rude,
i was born here but from the french perspective it looks like the circus is in town when they come up out of the metro.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:48 AM

9,925 posts, read 8,837,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Most of my DH's clients that come from abroad comment on two things:

The variety of shopping choices..
Absolutely LOVE that about America! (we just don't have the population to support that level of competition and choice here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The size of our houses and yards.
Wasn't the size of the houses and yards so much because mostly to me (other than when I was in LA) we are on a par from what I could see, it was that so many houses don't seem to have boundary fences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.