U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 09:04 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,213,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
One image is better than thousand words. I was browsing Houston section of this forum. If that photo is "quite okay" to you, you are not a foreigner

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1.../acfest147.jpg
I wanna borrow that ladies shorts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 12:25 AM

1,528 posts, read 5,711,540 times
Well if I was a foreigner.
I would have a stary eyed view of the US, a place where everyone is rich and become a billionaire in 2 minuets.
I think the fact that to get ahead in the US you have to WORK HARD...HARD...is a big "whoa" to immigrants.
Especially those from 3rd world countries, who think that we **** gold and Benjamins.

Maybe also how brutal and unfriendly everyone can be, and how no one really cares about you. That's pretty much global, but idk.

Maybe also how advanced the US is.
I believe some african dude was walking through the ghettos of NYC, and commented on how even the NASTY areas are still very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNZ View Post
"where's wally"
it's where's WALDO... HAHAHAHAHA, all in good intentions . Wally is the little robot that in...Wall-E... Pixar...

Old 06-26-2009, 01:00 AM

184 posts, read 783,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
it's where's WALDO... HAHAHAHAHA, all in good intentions . Wally is the little robot that in...Wall-E... Pixar...
Actually, it's only Waldo in north america. In other parts of the world we do call him Wally . In fact, I'm pretty sure he is a British invention, so he was probably Wally before he became Waldo

*edit* yep, just googled it. British guy called Martin Handford came up with it and called it "Where's Wally?". You may not have realised, but this is a pretty common thing with books and movies. The versions released to the North American market are often given different names for some reason. Another one that springs to mind is the first of the Harry Potters, "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" which for some reason was renamed to "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" in North America. I assume there is some logic behind this, but I have no idea what it is.

Last edited by MarcNZ; 06-26-2009 at 02:24 AM..

Old 06-26-2009, 02:38 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
I'd heard that it was assumed Americans know little about the history of alchemy so "Philosopher's Stone" would mean nothing to them. Or Americans would come out wondering "I don't get what that book had to do with philosophers, isn't it a kids book? I came into it expecting an English discussion of Henry Thoreau, after all he wrote about stones and geography, I feel ripped off!"

Last edited by Thomas R.; 06-26-2009 at 02:38 AM.. Reason: correcting mispelling

Old 06-26-2009, 07:08 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Living in Miami Beach, I meet a lot of tourists from other countries. For that matter, I am surrounded by people from other countries day in and day out. I love it...but I digress.

What I hear over and over is how friendly and helpful Americans are. I usually reply that, if they are impressed by that in Miami, they should go to other places in the US to see how much more friendly and helpful people can be in this country.

Something else I heard until this year is how surprised people were that so many Americans didn't like Bush.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:37 PM

352 posts, read 475,043 times
I spent the most of my childhood in Norway and have lived in atlanta for the past 3 years to finish my schooling

A positive shock was the difficulty of school. I had always been told that american schools were very easy, but I was pleasantly shocked that many of my classes are very challenging.

A negative shock was how rude many of the people were. Its like its almost a contest many times

You take the good with the bad though

Old 06-26-2009, 02:49 PM

5,211 posts, read 5,865,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
One image is better than thousand words. I was browsing Houston section of this forum. If that photo is "quite okay" to you, you are not a foreigner

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g1.../acfest147.jpg
"Typical" middle-aged Americans?. Kaki shorts, oversized (t-)shirts.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:04 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,271,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
I wanna borrow that ladies shorts...

You can go parachuting with those things!

Old 06-30-2009, 12:02 PM

14,411 posts, read 26,229,960 times
I see an Enron logo on the guy's cap. You don't see that very often anymore.

Interesting that a totally random picture I posted ends up in a discussion about foreigners.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:15 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,213,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
You can go parachuting with those things!
And I would
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or