U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 03:18 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Everything had to be giant, and every kid got their own room....that was weird to me. Me and my sister shared a room until we moved to the states and it was fairly common. We also didn't get a 'play room' or bonus room either.
I would say that is a more modern thing since the housing boom. In the 70s and 80s when I was growing up, most kids shared a room with at least one sibling. I'm talking about middle-class families in NYC suburbs. I knew a girl in the city who had only a closet. she slept with her feet in the closet and her head in the living room. Her father was a law professor. Granted that was in Manhattan and she had 5 brothers and sisters and NYC apartments are famously small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Alcohol... I was allowed to drink a small amount of wine from a young age. Turning 21 wasn't exciting because my dad used to make beer and let us taste it when we were growing up. People in the US freaked out regarding alcohol and it's consumption, which was very odd to me
Same in my family. Almost every kid I knew got a glass of wine at Thanksgiving and Christmas and a sip of beer now and then.

Maybe I lived in a weird place.

ABQConvict
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 03:24 PM

9,630 posts, read 726,081 times
I also share the views of the previous posters, yes, people here are cheerful and I have never seen queues here, no mess and so on.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:20 PM

56,033 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Reminds me of when I leave out of Texas. People ask me stupid questions similar to those.
Try being from New Jersey.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:23 PM

16 posts, read 11,848 times
I would have to say the violence of the Blacks.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:49 AM

5,213 posts, read 5,868,580 times
Public toilets with a foot gap between the floor and the door.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:59 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,385,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I don't think that's exclusive to the USA, though.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:29 AM

758 posts, read 1,961,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
This is simply not true. There are plenty of fat, obese and morbidly obese people in Europe. You must not have spent any significant amount of time there, and you must have only been places where only tourists travel to. You must have missed all the locals, not just the fat ones. If we can turn the original question around for a second, what shocked me most about the places I've traveled is the fact people are for the most part the same, no matter where you are, despite the stereotypes to the contrary.

I read this entirre thread and I loved this comment the most. It's so true. I lived in China for two years after graduating college. I thought everything was going to be so different and everyone was going to have a different state of mind etc...and i learned really quick that people all over the world are the same. Everyone faces the same drama, everyone can be rude and impatient, loving and caring. Everyone faces heartbreak. Everyone's been betrayed at least once. Everyone has insecurities. It's really one of the most beautiful things about travelling to different countries: discovering not how different we are, but how similar we all are.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:29 PM

594 posts, read 947,378 times
1. Super-Size portions
2. Never walks (Drivers everywhere)
3. Lack of public transportation
4. Fat people
5. Lack/No vacation
6. Don't know geography / anything about the world
7. Use their own measurment system
8. Some stores open 24/7
9. Works on most holidays
10. Huge houses

Old 10-08-2009, 04:31 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,707,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I have heard many euro's being shocked by that.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:16 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,168,219 times
My buddy travels all over europe as a an olympic athlete, and I ask him this stuff all the time, and he says "No fat people, and everybody smokes"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or