U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 09:39 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,191,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
1. Super-Size portions
2. Never walks (Drivers everywhere)
3. Lack of public transportation
4. Fat people
5. Lack/No vacation
6. Don't know geography / anything about the world
7. Use their own measurment system
8. Some stores open 24/7
9. Works on most holidays
10. Huge houses
Look Suryoyo, Mattias, NorthNJ, NJ-201, etc... is back and showing their true colors yet again.

Go away kid, you have posted the same arguments and gripes under at least 4 different names already and have been banned under all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 04:33 AM

5,220 posts, read 5,882,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
I have heard many euro's being shocked by that.
I have never encountered the same in other European countries, like England, France or Spain.

Weird. I can't see the point with the gap. What a about some privacy?

Old 10-09-2009, 05:00 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,991,559 times
I think it makes it easier to tell if a stall is occuppied. You can check for shoes, etc. Or it's to pass toilet paper under. Or play footsie in case you're looking for a Larry Craig situation.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:58 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,120,865 times
Several foreigners have remarked to me that America is a lonely place.
Not allot of every day accessible socializing as in other countries visited.
In comparison I agree.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:10 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,120,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I have never encountered the same in other European countries, like England, France or Spain.

It has something to do with gay mating habits I think.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:44 AM

5,220 posts, read 5,882,036 times
Probably...?

Old 10-09-2009, 12:25 PM

15,539 posts, read 17,773,692 times
Based on a lot of the comments here, I am surprised to learn the Europe is a single, homogenous culture. And the the United States is too!

ABQConvict

Old 10-09-2009, 12:58 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,709,845 times
Quote:

People walking by can only see the feet, that is pretty private still.

I guess it can serve a purpose for somethings like if the door get's stuck, you can crawl out or if a person becomes medically ill and passes out on the floor in the stall, someone would notice it.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:18 PM

11,179 posts, read 22,400,541 times
Quote:
Public toilets with a foot gap between the floor and the door.

That's funny! I've been to Europe 15-18 times, and I actually always love that no matter what country I'm in when visiting - the bathroom stalls are almost always separate little rooms, and if not, it's a floor to ceiling wall/door.

In the USA there's almost ALWAYS a gap at the bottom and the top. These days i've seen more and more where you can actually look over the top of the stall when you walk by! It's not even 6 feet tall.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:24 PM

11,179 posts, read 22,400,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Several foreigners have remarked to me that America is a lonely place.
Not allot of every day accessible socializing as in other countries visited.
In comparison I agree.

I kinda notice that as well if I spent a month or so in Europe and then come back to the USA. Everything is so much more dense and packed in around Europe. People seem to socialize a little more in groups, be around other people more. Denser residential buildings, more public transit, more crowds. I come back and it's almost like everyone just wants to be left alone here and have their privacy.

Everyone has a sense of distrust, caution and of being skeptical of strangers. I do the same thing, but really 99% of strangers you're "worried" about around you are probably thinking the same thing. It's kinda a culture of paranoia. Leave a child alone for 10 minutes in public and someone WILL kidnap him/her. I mean honestly you could probably leave a kid alone anywhere in our country and 95% of the time everyone who comes in contact with that child will have no motive other than trying to find out where the parents are, and why the kid is alone. Same thing if you look out your window and see a stranger standing in your yard, or someone you don't know shows up at your door. What do you do? You freak out! As if you yourself and your friends are actually the only good normal people in your community, and everyone else is something to worry about. I totally blame TV and media. TV shows and movies all have these crazy plot lines because it makes for a good or exciting story. In the real world though, almost all the time those movies or shows are just fiction. I think we see non-stop violence and crazy thing happen when we watch TV and slowly our minds start thinking that's actually how it is out in the world.

As someone else said - the nudity thing is also major here. I mean some people almost PANIC and get physically upset because of a naked human being. Like if a woman exposed her breasts on accident in a supermarket it would be the WORST thing that happened to her all year. What's the big deal? People get so morbidly embarassed. I have to admit I'm right there with them - but I don't know why. It's just breasts and penises. We all have them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or