U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 01:29 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,516,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I'm from the US, but it seems like the point of drinking in the US is to get drunk. While, in Europe, many drink for the pleasure of the drink itself.
Well, it depends on whether you're talking about teenagers or adults. For adults I would say that more people drink for the pleasure of the drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 04:55 PM

15,760 posts, read 18,400,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I'm from the US, but it seems like the point of drinking in the US is to get drunk. While, in Europe, many drink for the pleasure of the drink itself.
I don't mean to be contrarian in every single post I make here :-)

but, ever spend any time in England or Scandinavia?

ABQConvict

Old 10-12-2009, 05:23 PM

4,968 posts, read 7,832,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

ABQConvict
I spent a couple days in Copenhagen, Denmark and Malmo, Sweden. But most of my time in Europe was spent in northern Italy. I also visited France, (Paris and the Riviera) Spain, (Barcelona) and Czech Republic. (Prague)

The only people I noticed drinking in excess while there were Americans and Australians. But, I wasn't paying close attention, though.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:43 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,128,851 times
We've had numerous friends from Great Britain visit the US and call to see if we can swing over to New York or San Fran for the evening to say hi. They had no concept of how large the U.S. is and that it would require a double digit hours of driving or a very expensive last minute flight.

When we drove 5 hours without leaving our state, they were absolutely flabbergasted. '

So, I'd say the scale of the US is difficult for a lot of Europeans to grasp, though perhaps that is changing now that travel between countries is easier thanks to the EU.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:40 PM

11,268 posts, read 22,823,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman13 View Post
Oh and and one more thing! A major shock to me was the sheer lack of a drinking culture. Obviously there aren't pubs in America but I still expected to find people ordering beers with meals and generally enjoying alcohol. It seemed like where I was, alcohol was frowned upon in a way. For instance, I went to a party where there were 16/17/18/19/20 year olds not drinking! Would never happen in England. I got into a conversation with a kid there and when I told him I'd been drinking since I was 13/14 he was shocked and told me that my parents must have done something wrong.
You must not have visited the Midwest! I can walk down a street in Chicago and never be more than a block or two from a pub/bar.

People in the USA definitely drink, and I've noticed from all my time in Europe that Americans have a different drinking habit than Europeans.

Americans far and away from most Europeans drink for the purpose of getting very drunk. In Europe people drank, but you didn't see the chugging of beers, shots, bombs, etc that lots of people do in the USA.

I've met people from Denmark, Germany, UK, Netherlands, Switzerland and Spain that have visited the USA - and almost every one of them at some point did the "HOLY SH** - YOU AMERICANS ARE CRAZY WITH THE ALCOHOL!".

Most people commented that the Brits and Irish rivaled the USA in drinking - and I agreed with that observation.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:41 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,972,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
We've had numerous friends from Great Britain visit the US and call to see if we can swing over to New York or San Fran for the evening to say hi. They had no concept of how large the U.S. is and that it would require a double digit hours of driving or a very expensive last minute flight.

When we drove 5 hours without leaving our state, they were absolutely flabbergasted. '

So, I'd say the scale of the US is difficult for a lot of Europeans to grasp, though perhaps that is changing now that travel between countries is easier thanks to the EU.
That translates into some European friends of mine who have gone to pretty sparsely populated states like Wyoming and are absolutely stunned at the lack of population.

Many Europeans forget that the continental USA is about 90% the size (in land mass) as all of Europe and we only have about 300 million people, whereas they have roughly 700 million, and according to wikipedia, their population density is twice ours. A British friend of mine said it like this, "Imagine taking a country the size of Georgia and putting 60 million people in it, that the UK!"

Old 10-12-2009, 07:45 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,516,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

Good post...and very true. A drive the distance of Chicago to New York might take you through 3 different countries in Europe.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:15 AM

59,604 posts, read 57,134,827 times
" Obviously there aren't pubs in America "

This is quite possibly one of the most bizarre statements I've ever read on C-D.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 AM

23,125 posts, read 35,939,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

ABQConvict
Or Germany. Or Russia, for God's sake.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:47 AM

499 posts, read 1,410,252 times
The incredible ammount of stupid laws we have here!!!

That and the OBESITY of our children!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or