U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 02:42 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,979,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
" Obviously there aren't pubs in America "

This is quite possibly one of the most bizarre statements I've ever read on C-D.
I don't know. I mean I think there are things in the US pretty much the same as a British pub, but do we call them pubs? (I mean except as an affectation. Bear in mind I don't drink alcohol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 05:20 PM

1,246 posts, read 2,989,708 times
Yes, I wish that Europeans who criticize Americans for not knowing different languages or not traveling outside the country very much, would remember that North America is a huge land mass with only three countries and only three widely spoken languages (English, Spanish and French). It's not just a question of popping into the old 2CV and taking a Sunday spin acoss two or three national borders, ya know. Cut us a little break, OK?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:43 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,174,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I don't know. I mean I think there are things in the US pretty much the same as a British pub, but do we call them pubs? (I mean except as an affectation. Bear in mind I don't drink alcohol)

Yes, we call them pubs.

ever heard of a Dive Bar?

We call "social drinking establishments" many things -

Clubs, bars, pubs, dive bar, ect.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:03 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,278,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Yes, we call them pubs.

ever heard of a Dive Bar?

We call "social drinking establishments" many things -

Clubs, bars, pubs, dive bar, ect.
...skin bars, discos, taverns, waterin' holes...

Old 10-14-2009, 08:15 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,997,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i am American so not a "foreigner" in this context, but I've always been amazed there are no obese people in Europe.
None? You've obviously never been to Great Britain, or Australia (yes, I know Australia isn't "Europe").

Old 10-14-2009, 09:33 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,997,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I have never encountered the same in other European countries, like England, France or Spain.

Weird. I can't see the point with the gap. What a about some privacy?
Why are Europeans so paranoid and puritanical about bathroom stalls?

Nobody's going to try to sneak a peek at your little pee-pee, it's just an easy way to tell whether a stall is occupied or not instead of having to knock and disturb somebody's concentration.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:14 AM

3,012 posts, read 5,322,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Yes, I wish that Europeans who criticize Americans for not knowing different languages or not traveling outside the country very much, would remember that North America is a huge land mass with only three countries and only three widely spoken languages (English, Spanish and French). It's not just a question of popping into the old 2CV and taking a Sunday spin acoss two or three national borders, ya know. Cut us a little break, OK?
Exactly theres so many states and cities in america alone, we dont really have time for all of that. Its easier overseas when u can drive three hours or less and be in another country

Old 10-15-2009, 11:51 AM

15,529 posts, read 17,755,782 times
A 'Pub' is a public house. Any bar that does not require membership or have a door charge (entrance fee) is a pub by the common definition. In the U.K. there are legal qualifications that govern how a pub is operated. This creates a legalistic definition for 'pub' which lacks in the States.

To me, if it looks like a pub, sounds like a pub, and smells like a pub, it is a pub wherever in the world it may be found.

ABQConvict

Old 10-15-2009, 12:15 PM

887 posts, read 1,377,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I'm from the US, but it seems like the point of drinking in the US is to get drunk. While, in Europe, many drink for the pleasure of the drink itself.
I don't know about the rest of Europe, but i'm from Finland and i totally disagree with you.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:25 AM

5,218 posts, read 5,876,476 times
We got pretty much the same (excessive) drinking culture in Norway too but I think Finland is even more extreme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or