U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 12:52 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,268,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Have to agree, but with the stipulation that not all public schools follow this line of thinking either. I'm glad our little school system here actually thinks a child needs to be challenged to grow to their potential. Not over-challenged, but that each student is different and that each of them needs to do their best, not the best of the slacker in the back of the class. I've been told by several of the Administration staff that they have no problem meeting NCLB because they don't have such low standards to begin with. After seeing the school in action, I have no problem believing it either (and all 4 of my kids can't wait to get to school every morning because they love it again.)
On that same note...every teacher within each school is different as well - each one doesn't teach in the same style and most don't "dumb down" anything. I for one would never do that when I'm teaching, and most of my colleagues wouldn't either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:47 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,885,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
I think there is a certan tendency towards dumbing down in US public schools. It's almost as if "no child left behind" means every child is left behind with the biggest underachievers, lowering the bar for everybody. There is also a certain.....I don't want to make this sound political, but I think the word is liberal undercurrent within the teaching body that says that effort is akin to child abuse.
Not to make it sound political either, but in high school my liberal teachers were the ones who pushed their students the most. It was the conservative ones who didn't care if you flunked yourself out. They also tended to teach the lower-level classes...

Yes, it varies between each district, school, teacher, class, and student. But really we just need a thorough overhaul of our educational system. But I'll stop here before I get more off-topic.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:01 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,385,565 times
I wasn't linking the phenomenon to the political orientation of the teachers, but rather to a certain underlaying philosophy that I think has somehow conditioned the system since the 60's. Of course I agree every districy, and even every school, is a different world.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:05 AM

185 posts, read 581,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
The quality of the health care. All my friends who are foreign remark that they've never seen nor been treated as well ever before. Only my Japanese friends have said that the service they received in the US was on par with the service in Japan, but even then, sometimes you have to wait for service there.

A friend of mine in Canada wishes she lived in the USA so that she can get the care she requires for her pinched nerves from a car wreck she had as a teen. She could apply to have stem cells from her good spine areas injected into the bad and clinical trials on others have shown remarkable improvement.
not my experience as a young adult without healthcare who relies on clinics, and neither is it the experience of my friends in their late teens and twenties without insurance. When I went to the ER a couple of months ago for 6 1/2hrs, service was very decent, the $2100 price tag wasn't.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:20 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
I think the US health system was deemed more "responsive" and I have heard foreigners agree that for the wealthy American health-care is very good. American health-care is in some ways more convenient. What I mean by that is my sister in Japan finds relatively little help for things like aches or diarrhea. You just sort of "tough it out" for that stuff, or at least you do so more than you would in the US. Our more free-for-all way of doing things may also be part of what allows for some great research and research hospitals. If you've got a good deal of money to spend that can be pretty good, particularly if you have cancer. Wealthy cancer patients from overseas sometimes or often do seem to come to the US.

However if you are in the bottom economic quintile or have a serious, yet well-understood, condition than I think we come out pretty poor for the modern world. Dealing with my pneumonia or my Dad's appendicitis had all kinds of problems, which maybe wouldn't have happened so much in some other countries as those are relatively well-understood and treatable conditions.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue View Post
I completely agree. This was probably the number one thing that I noticed as well when I first moved to the US. Everyone is driving everywhere, everything is really spread out, and there is no real street life - people are staying inside even if the weather is nice. I later found that there are areas that are different in the US, but unfortunately they are not the norm.
Where I live its the exact opposite, I live in a residential nabe in Manhattan, kids and peeps everywhere, on the sts, on the trains late late at night. But NY really is an anomaly in some ways.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:28 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,986,675 times
My Scottish hub was very surprised to learn that in US colleges and universities you can take classes like tennis, swimming, jazz appreciation, and fluff classes, etc toward your degree, or that many degrees require learning a foreign language (like an English degree). He finds the concept of graduating with a well-rounded education strange. His degree was physics so his classes were math, science, physics, chemistry, etc. No English, liberal arts, languages, art, etc etc.

Scotland residents go to university tuition-free in Scotland. Hub is amazed at the debt students get into to attend university in the US.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
''So, Czech republic is a part of Russia?''
''Do you have cellphones in the Czech republic?''
''Do you have matches in the Czech republic?''
I've been standing in front of about 40 people and said that I'm from the Czech republic and what I've heard right after was: ''Ah, Czechoslovakia!''
how embarassing.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:23 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,385,565 times
I could go on forever about all that's good with America, but I don't want to bore everyone dragging on about Jefferson, and let's face it, bitching is much more fun, so there's a few things that caused me some sort of culture shock:

Even though America is a fairly homogeneous country in many ways I've found it's very getthoized (is that even a word?). I don't mean only from an ethnic point of view, but in every aspect. It's as though everyone wants to take refuge in their own pigeonhole with people who are identical to them:

• Gay ghettos ("we don't want anything to do with those heterosexuals and their aberrant lifestyles: have you heard they have sex with people of the opposite sex? And sometimes when they have sex, the female heterosexuals have some sort of furless puppies. It's disgusting and reactionary")

• Old folks ghettos ("we don't want anything to do with those under 60's and their smooth skin and their joints in perfect working condition. They're outrageous! And don't start me on those noisy furless puppies they have....Communists the lot of them.")

• Artist ghettos, sorry "arts districts" - look, if Michaelangelo could get by living among smelly ordinary mortals, I'm sure little Chad from Idaho will be alright. Listen, Chad: I know you're very creative and very special and your **** doesn't smell, but the fact that some people have jobs doesn't make them evil or reactionary. Perhaps if you spend some time among real people you will find inspiration for your art, or whatever you do when you're not smoking pot or drinking overpriced coffee with pseudo-foreign names.

• White middle-class cookie-cutter ghettos ("I'm taking little Timmy to soccerball practice.....Thank God we don't live surrounded by people like they do in those Third World countries like New York, or little Timmy could meet other children in the neighbourhood and, you know, play with them like Third World kids do. That would curtail his psychologic development")

To be continued...

Old 11-23-2009, 10:14 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
And all that is ghetto-ization is different from Europe, how?

ABQConvict
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or