U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 12:15 PM

786 posts, read 1,602,660 times

Advertisements

I've never been surprised by anything I've seen or anyone I've met in the United States. I've never expected anything based on nationality. It always strikes me as stupid when someone says 'oh I didn't expect you to be so....' to anyone. Why did you expect anything? Yeah there are stereotypes, but every person is different. I am quite a pessimist, and I tend to assume people will be hostile or rude to me, but that's due to my lack of self esteem, and that's the same anywhere I go.

I tell ya, what's been most annoying on this thread is hearing americans say 'my friend was surprised by...' and invariably it's some nationalistic crap basically stating that their 'friend' was surprised how awesome america was, or, worse, they just say 'I think europeans would be surprised by...' which is even more brazen because they don't even claim the surprise came from a real person. In both instances, it's just an assumption of what someone from another country would expect about america, based on THEIR incorrect assumptions about that country. It's a circle of stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 03:09 PM

643 posts, read 980,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Another thing I've wondered about is whether people overseas have this sort of overly positive and perhaps unrealistic view of the US. I say this because there have been a number of times for various reasons that I've thought about leaving here and moving to Australia, NZ, or Southern France. I've never been to any of those places but they seem wonderful.
Well from TV it does seem to send that image that the US is 'perfect'. Can't think of any programs off the top of my head but i think it does send that message.

As someone who has family in America and has researched into it i know it is anything but.

Take certain places such as the Midwest. They are going through a tough time at the moment (most of the country is to be fair) and have high unemployment and some problems. But when you look at pictures of places such as Michigan and you see the beauty of it, it is easy to think that it is perfect and that they do not have problems. Detroit in the east however suggests otherwise.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:17 PM

2,109 posts, read 5,135,459 times
There are negative perceptions within in the US as there are in any country. For example- Michigan as you mentioned. I personally don't like that region of the country because of the weather. But I've been to Detroit and drove around outside of it. Its actually very pretty in the area. Most people in the US have a very negative opinion of the area.

As far as TV, well it seems to be filmed in exactly 2 places: NYC and LA. That's it. That would give someone from another country a false sense of what its really like because those 2 cities are exceptions in regards to how the bulk of the country lives.

We have family friends from the UK. They came over and visited my parents in Tennessee. TN is not one of those super well-known states outside the US. They were blown away by the most mundane things. They filmed the freeways. They spent a ton of time at Big Box stores. They were amazed at real estate prices. Turns out where they live in the UK, typical houses cost almost a million US dollars. They seriously wanted to move out there.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:20 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,110,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
I realize this is an old post, but America does have a history of an aristocracy. Especially in the first colonies and then the first states. Look at Bacon's Rebellion, look at the founding fathers (most of them were well off... upper class, the elite)
Kudos skrizzle. Too bad this is an old post ... Lentz, keep drinking the kool-aid. It's precisely because of folks like you that we're in the mess we're in. I don't even know where to begin refuting this hodge podge of misinformation.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
People are more polite here. Someone told me once that Europeans are very direct and confrontational and are not shy about criticizing you if there is something they do not like about you. This may not be true for all parts of the country.
Of course, because we all know that Italians are interchangeable with Norwegians, Britons, Germans, Lithuanians, Greeks, etc. Which "country" are you talking about, BTW, the US country or the European "country"? I'm confused ...

Last edited by rranger; 03-18-2011 at 03:32 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
If you compare *any* state north of the Mason-Dixon line to *any* country in Western Europe, you start to actually have a fair comparison.
This thread is so much fun! I guess you haven't spent much time in Ohio or Pennsylvania, just to name two!

Old 03-18-2011, 03:40 PM

643 posts, read 980,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
There are negative perceptions within in the US as there are in any country. For example- Michigan as you mentioned. I personally don't like that region of the country because of the weather. But I've been to Detroit and drove around outside of it. Its actually very pretty in the area. Most people in the US have a very negative opinion of the area.

As far as TV, well it seems to be filmed in exactly 2 places: NYC and LA. That's it. That would give someone from another country a false sense of what its really like because those 2 cities are exceptions in regards to how the bulk of the country lives.

We have family friends from the UK. They came over and visited my parents in Tennessee. TN is not one of those super well-known states outside the US. They were blown away by the most mundane things. They filmed the freeways. They spent a ton of time at Big Box stores. They were amazed at real estate prices. Turns out where they live in the UK, typical houses cost almost a million US dollars. They seriously wanted to move out there.

The housing market is one of the reasons i want to move to the USA. If we were to sell our house we would probably get about 400,000 for it. With the current exchange rate it would give me $649,342 to spend. Our house is only 3 bedroom and 2 bathroom too!

The fact that most things are filmed in NY often gives it a bad nae because things are dramatized and people still think it's like that (some areas are but not most).

The Midwest is somewhere i've always wanted to move. Being from London i'm not bothered by weather and i think it makes the area look much nicer - snow etc.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:52 PM

285 posts, read 555,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Of course, because we all know that Italians are interchangeable with Norwegians, Britons, Germans, Lithuanians, Greeks, etc. Which "country" are you talking about, BTW, the US country or the European "country"? I'm confused ...
Oh, you didn't know that they are all interchangeable? Yeah they just like to use different names to confuse us Americans. They are really all Lithuanian, but they just love to mess with us and so they made up all these different languages and when they see an American they are all like, "pretend you
re British, mate, ere's an American" and they just have a blast. So I am clearly referring to Lithuania because obviously all Europeans are closet Lithuanians, duh!

Old 03-18-2011, 04:46 PM

786 posts, read 1,602,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Well from TV it does seem to send that image that the US is 'perfect'. Can't think of any programs off the top of my head but i think it does send that message.

As someone who has family in America and has researched into it i know it is anything but.

Take certain places such as the Midwest. They are going through a tough time at the moment (most of the country is to be fair) and have high unemployment and some problems. But when you look at pictures of places such as Michigan and you see the beauty of it, it is easy to think that it is perfect and that they do not have problems. Detroit in the east however suggests otherwise.
If anyone thinks the US is perfect, then they are idiots and have somehow got precisely the opposite idea to any other morons who watches US tv. I find it far more likely, but still stupid, that people would think the US was very very dangerous. I will always say how thick it is that anyone would base their opinions on tv dramas, but there you go.

Quote:
The housing market is one of the reasons i want to move to the USA. If we were to sell our house we would probably get about 400,000 for it. With the current exchange rate it would give me $649,342 to spend. Our house is only 3 bedroom and 2 bathroom too!

The fact that most things are filmed in NY often gives it a bad nae because things are dramatized and people still think it's like that (some areas are but not most).

The Midwest is somewhere i've always wanted to move. Being from London i'm not bothered by weather and i think it makes the area look much nicer - snow etc.

You may have family there, but I'm not so sure you realise the difference in weather between London and the Midwestern US states. The amount of rain London gets is way less than most cities in the US; Chicago and Detroit get nearly twice as much rain as we get here. Also, London has an average low January temperature of 2.4C, Chicago's average are between -0.7C -8.8C. Then there is the snow. Chicago gets over a meter a year, whereas London gets almost nothing most years. Hey you 'have family there' so I'm sure you know way more than me, but I'm just saying. I know we in the UK like to think out weather is really poor, but it's just not.

You reckon all that makes the area look nicer, that's great. You should get a great house for that kinda cash.

I've just read that back, and it seems quite angry, but I really didn't mean to be, but the jist is there, and I can't be arsed to change it. I'll give ya some rep to make up for my possibly perceieved rage.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:09 PM

17,235 posts, read 19,536,382 times
Quote:
It depends on where you live in the U.S. In many east coast and west coast cities, a 3-bedroom house could easily cost $650 K - especially in the more upscale neighborhoods. The midwest and south is overall much less expensive. However, the coasts are considered by many (not all) to be more desirable regions to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or