U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 01:26 PM

5,543 posts, read 6,976,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Positive Shock: people are very friendly and well mannered towards foreigners. If if they are unhappy, they will try to be polite.

Negative Shock: 1)most of the cities in usa have no public transit (trains/tram/bus) services which is very strange and weird. If a person dont have his/her own car, his life is hell. cannot even purchase a loaf of bread or milk without car.
2) People here in USA do not like city life. They are happy in camping in forest and flipping burgers in their suburbs house or going for fishing. But people in good jobs also from small towns of south / mid-western states have never visited New York, Disney World or San Francisco. They say cannot afford visiting there. American people hate their own cities like New York which contributed a lot in making this great country.

How is disliking city life a negative? Everybody does not want to live in a big city and wander around shopping malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 02:25 PM

210 posts, read 183,589 times
When my father came to the U.S in the late 1970s and landed at Washington D.C's international airport, he told me he was shocked at how many Blacks he saw. His image of the U.S was that of a nation that is very lily White. Since he grew up with American images on televsion of "Leave It To Beaver" I Love Lucy", old western movies, etc.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:38 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,308,172 times
Housing...Germans that I've taken for road trips have been surprised by the structures used as home, most notably trailers. On country roads some trailers really look like the last step before homelessness.
I explained that Americans prefer the idea of owning over renting, even if it means an old trailer.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:34 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,925,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post

There are underclasses everywhere. Look at Germany. That country hires Turks to work in auto factories because the German citizens don't like working "dirty" jobs for relatively little pay.
Where'd you get that from?

Old 06-07-2011, 03:57 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,502,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
I dont understand how nightlife or cities can be "boring". Have they ever been to Louisiana and the festivals? Every bit as lively and colorful during Mardi Gras and some music festivals than anything down in Brazil.
They're probably talking about the day-to-day night life.

In terms of Mardi Gras vs Carnaval...from what I've seen, Carnaval appears to be on a different level. This may be because the entire country participates and the showcase city of Carnaval (Rio) is far larger and more well-known than New Orleans.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 PM

5,543 posts, read 6,976,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Where'd you get that from?

Been there several times for my job.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:54 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,502,634 times
I have a couple of friends from Germany who have said the same thing.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:13 PM

34,670 posts, read 33,671,635 times
Has anyone noticed the amount of rude superficial people who come from other countries and judge people by how they look?

Old 06-10-2011, 07:00 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,797,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Has anyone noticed the amount of rude superficial people who come from other countries and judge people by how they look?
Indeed you can find them here on C-D. When it comes to travel, Americans value comfort and convenience over style. That's just a cultural preference. While here at home, I like the fact that if I just need ot grab a couple of items at the store, I can go in sweats, sneakers and a ballcap, and no one cares. It's a grocery store, after all. Who do I need to impress? Obviously, if the situation calls for it, I dress up.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:39 PM

634 posts, read 989,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Indeed you can find them here on C-D. When it comes to travel, Americans value comfort and convenience over style. That's just a cultural preference. While here at home, I like the fact that if I just need ot grab a couple of items at the store, I can go in sweats, sneakers and a ballcap, and no one cares. It's a grocery store, after all. Who do I need to impress? Obviously, if the situation calls for it, I dress up.
It's not about impressing someone but about respecting those around you. Going undressed in any public place is disrespectful ...at least that was the case in all the countries where I lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or