U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 12:07 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Also, until recently I worked in a restaurant, (a bar-and-grill, not fine dining) that serves 20+ bottles of decent wine (not to mention keg upon keg of micro-brews) per night. In backward and uncouth New Mexico, no less!
I don't consider New Mexico backward and uncouth, BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 01:06 PM

466 posts, read 910,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
I agree with some of your points but some are just ridiculous... but it's your opinion.

You say that there's more racism in US than in Germany. I disagree... I lived in Germany for a short period (training) and for a longer period in Austria. My parents are Austrian but I was raised in Romania because my father had some business there. Ok... I was in Austria and I met a girl... we went in restaurant and talked all sorts of things and then she asked me where I'm from (she believed I'm Austrian because I look German/Austrian and I speak the language as a native). I said that I'm from Romania... she got up quickly, left me 10 euros on the table and without saying anything she left. That's just one case but there were many other. The minorities in Germany are more than dispraised. In Germany no matter how good you speak the language, how white you are and how successful you are you'll always be consider an ausländer and be treated differently (ie lower pay, not too many friends and so on). In the US I already feel integrated inspite my bad English. I already have friends here... I'm payed as the locals or even more. It's great.
And the roads are far from great in Germany too... I've seen plenty of potholes there too.
There's no more violence because of the guns... who needs a gun in Germany can easily procure it if he want... The "bad guys" don't buy their guns from the shops anyway...
I know lot of my points are ridiculous for any American, but wasn't the threat head line: What shocks foreigners the most about the US? I am a foreigner, that that was what shocked me most about the US when I came here to live. And I never said, that Germans aren't racists, or Austrian for that matter, I am just telling here what I was seeing from my point of view as an foreigner or German. And believe me, how it feels to be a German growing up as a teenager in The Netherlands. I learned history with different eyes because of that. There are still lots of people out there that believe all German are Nazis. And I am born 9 years after the war.
I have been an foreigner in 3 different countries and personally I haven't had many bad encounters - to my face at least.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:53 PM

747 posts, read 436,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Child View Post
LOL, AMERICA HAS NO CULTURE. Unless you consider McDonalds & Coca Cola apart of America's culture. Here's something funny. We all know the Japanese, Mexican, etc people have depth of culture, take a look at this:
Japanese Culture
Mexican Culture
BUT, when you google American Culture, you get THIS. Keep scrolling to see the McDonald's logo LOL
I disagree. America is not an old country like China or Japan but it gave more to the world in the last 100 years than the other two in 500 years. Hemingway is known better than any other writer in any other part of the world. Our movies and music are heard everywhere - when was the last time you heard people getting excited about a Chinese film? We made more scientific and medical discoveries than the rest of the world combined in the last 100 years. Americans are not snobs and don't spend half of their time watching ballet or opera, but it does not mean our culture is non existent or less important than anything else.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,193 times
I'm from Switzerland and I live in US almost 3 years

First, everything is so cheap
In Zurich (and pretty much all Swiss cities) everything is at least 2 times more expensive than in New York
I was amazed by the prices so in first weeks i was buying everything

America is very diverse You can meet people from around the world, in Switzerland almost all immigrants are Turkish, Arabs or Yugoslavians

And cars. You have very big cars, in Switzerland and generally Europe, people prefers smaller cars because they are more ecological

And it seem like you have obsession with size, everything is so big (people too), especially portions in restaurants

Old 06-18-2011, 10:57 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,306,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaSchweiz View Post
I'm from Switzerland and I live in US almost 3 years

First, everything is so cheap
In Zurich (and pretty much all Swiss cities) everything is at least 2 times more expensive than in New York
I was amazed by the prices so in first weeks i was buying everything

America is very diverse You can meet people from around the world, in Switzerland almost all immigrants are Turkish, Arabs or Yugoslavians

And cars. You have very big cars, in Switzerland and generally Europe, people prefers smaller cars because they are more ecological

And it seem like you have obsession with size, everything is so big (people too), especially portions in restaurants
I lived in Germany for many years and have driven through Switzerland on the way to France. I think that Switzerland is expensive by European standards.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:21 AM

34 posts, read 37,289 times
Hi, I'm from Malta (a small island in the Mediterranean Sea) and I went to states for a holiday and absolutely loved it! I didn't stay for too long, and didn't visit too many places either. In fact I stayed for a few days and went to Buffalo and NYC only since the greater part of my stay was in Toronto, CA. While Canada is in my opinion cleaner, the US has something to it that other countries don't. Ye some argue it lacks history but I tend to disagree - it has its own history and I find it as interesting as Europe's - from the civil war to luther king times to vietnam...

In Canada I was told that Venice is a country near Italy! but in the US people would just wait for me to explain where Malta really is - that's how far it got whenever geography was involved but in all fairness, Malta is a rather small place so I'd have my '...its an island in the Med. sea' ready each time I'm asked where I come from.

NYC was absolutely amazing but I also really liked Buffalo - it has a great sense of Urban America too it - you know, it doesn't have to be all about the huge skyscrapers and luxury homes. It just had that sense of working-class to it which I appreciated. In terms of opportunities I just think the US has so much to offer. Crime is everywhere - Europe is no safe haven - if you guys have guns here they have knives. Knife crime in the UK has been on the increase and some claim London is more dangerous than NYC. I loved London also when I went - beautiful city! My point is that although the US is perceived to be more dangerous it really just depends on where you are coz arguably every country has its good and bad parts.

I'm hoping to make a move to the States in the coming year then I'll be in a better position to argue lol but overall amazing country!

Old 06-18-2011, 12:55 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,716,813 times
It is true that Americans, on average, drive much bigger cars than Europe on average. The exception, in my experience, is Norway despite its expensive gas and comparatively limited public transport. Quite a few larger vehicles including big American 4x4s, minivans, smaller SUVs, etc. Saw a number of Chevy trucks and big Toyota pick-ups there.

On the other hand, most other cars there were small economy cars, what is missing is the middle ground, large family sedans (saloons), and the obnoxiously giant SUVs and mega trucks (Expeditions, F350 super duty with king cab seating for 6 monstrosities).

Old 06-18-2011, 03:41 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,946,858 times
yes, we do drive bigger cars in america.

Ford F650 Suv Pictures | Get Online Car | automotive pit stop (http://getonlinecar.com/car/1946/ford-f650-suv-pictures.cnet - broken link)

Old 06-18-2011, 09:46 PM

5,543 posts, read 6,974,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It is true that Americans, on average, drive much bigger cars than Europe on average. The exception, in my experience, is Norway despite its expensive gas and comparatively limited public transport. Quite a few larger vehicles including big American 4x4s, minivans, smaller SUVs, etc. Saw a number of Chevy trucks and big Toyota pick-ups there.

On the other hand, most other cars there were small economy cars, what is missing is the middle ground, large family sedans (saloons), and the obnoxiously giant SUVs and mega trucks (Expeditions, F350 super duty with king cab seating for 6 monstrosities).

That F350 super duty comes in handy when towing a camper and you have 3 (or more) kids.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:54 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,946,858 times
don't knock it till you try it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or