U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-18-2011, 10:09 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC NoVA
1,105 posts, read 1,947,579 times
Reputation: 775

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
That F350 super duty comes in handy when towing a camper and you have 3 (or more) kids.
plus the options in these trucks now are amazing. the new ram has a wifi option. the gas prices may lower a bit, but if not, soon these trucks will be able to be engineered to greatly improve gas mileage but keep them just as powerful to the point that it's almost as if gas is at $1.50/gallon again. the truck won't die out, if anything, as we grow in technology, technology will improve these trucks and their gas mileage.

i doubt gas will rise much higher though. anything above $6/gallon and there will be some serious pressure to drill here, take control of oil fields in iraq, and/or make some big changes politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2011, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic / United Kingdom
388 posts, read 1,437,886 times
Reputation: 360
I'm Czech and I've spent in total 4 months mostly in Georgia (Atlanta suburb), Texas (Austin), but also South Carolina (Charleston). I wasn't literally shocked by these facts, but this is my 50 cents:

As everyone else said, everything is MASSIVE. Starting from houses, cars, restaurant portions to people. However, not everyone is fat, but time after time I saw this extremely obese person that I had never seen before.

Many people don't recycle. I stayed with four families overall and nobody recycled.

People don't dress as nicely as in Europe.

Some neighbourhoods do not have sidewalks. I immediately called my mum to tell her and she hadn't believed it until I sent her a photo. Where I lived, people really took care of their gardens and it looked wonderful. Also, there were loads and loads of trees in Georgia.

People are extremely nice. Overall the customer service in the US is a bit higher than the one in Europe.

A lot of electricity, water, and food is being wasted in the US.

'Please wait to be seated' in restaurants.

People use their cars a lot. Once I went with my host family from Atlanta to Charleston and they said: 'It's only a 7 hour ride.'. Nobody would say 'only' in Europe.

The downtowns in some small towns we passed through were dead empty. There were loads of cars though.

I'm sorry to generalize, but most Americans lack some basic geography knowledge.

The electronics are quite cheap, so are the cars and the gas is extremely cheap. It's about five times more expensive in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 04:21 PM
 
1,351 posts, read 2,449,272 times
Reputation: 1225
From my experiences with foreigners it is the following:

Pros:
How organized everything is
The great prosperity and high living standards (big houses, big yards, everyone has a car)
How diverse the country is

Cons:
How overweight Americans are
The huge portions of food Americans consume
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 09:20 AM
 
Location: south coastal texas :)
61 posts, read 164,928 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
If America is a class society... much of it must be self-imposed.

There is nothing stopping someone with the drive to succeed to open a business and forget about being someone else's employee. Much, much harder to do in my European experience where you must have studied and completed a certain level of training to even open your own Flower Shop.

I have met many that have come to the SF Bay Area with nothing... refugees from Cambodia, Vietnam and immigrants from India, Korea and other countries... they came with nothing and are living their American Dream... sons and daughters that are Doctors, Engineers and entrepreneurs...

My Grandmother always said Class comes from within... you can be so poor that you only have rags to wear... but those rags can still be clean... just like your car can be on it's last legs and not a mobile garbage can with windows you can hardly see through because it hasn't been washed since the last time it rained.

People do reinvent themselves in America... it can be as simple as pulling up stakes and moving West for a fresh start or vice-versa...

Many of our Presidents are self-made men with humble or modest backgrounds... as are many Judges.

I really believe a person's station in Life has more to do with what you make of your life than based on what side of the tracks you were born...

I know it's different now in Europe... there was a time, not that long ago, where women lived truly as second class citizens there and those that came to America and for the first time felt freedom unknown across the sea.

Even recently, a person I know was looking into EU Citizenship in Austria... she was astounded to learn she had less of a chance simply because her mother was Austrian by birth and not her Father
wow i could not agree with you more on that. alot of times, the bad neighborhoods are only bad because people living in them don't have enough self pride to take care of their own home. the city government somtimes has to threaten individual home owners because they have so much garbage on their lawn, because it makes the whole neighborhood look bad. just because you're house is small, doesnt mean it has to be filthy! my grandmother's house was small and in a bad neighborhood, yet it was ALWAYS clean and maintained, indoors and out. the "ghetto" wouldn't be nearly as bad if the "poor" would atleast take care of what they have. i personally see it as an excuse for being lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 11:26 AM
 
1,351 posts, read 2,449,272 times
Reputation: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gordon View Post
I disagree. America is not an old country like China or Japan but it gave more to the world in the last 100 years than the other two in 500 years. Hemingway is known better than any other writer in any other part of the world. Our movies and music are heard everywhere - when was the last time you heard people getting excited about a Chinese film? We made more scientific and medical discoveries than the rest of the world combined in the last 100 years. Americans are not snobs and don't spend half of their time watching ballet or opera, but it does not mean our culture is non existent or less important than anything else.
The notion that Americans do not have culture is absolutely absurd. The only reason why anyone would suggest that is because the world is already breathing, practicing and living American culture interwoven with their daily lives that they do not even realize it!

America has given so much to the world in the short period it has existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
119 posts, read 264,643 times
Reputation: 71
Karlovy Vary is a neat name for a town, that's for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,682 posts, read 33,681,492 times
Reputation: 51872
Do your bridges and major highways have tollbooths in your country?

I couldn't believe the last time I drove to Long Island it cost me $13 to go over 2 bridges (GW and Throggs Neck) not all that far apart. I thought at least they should give me a lottery ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 01:04 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
Reputation: 30796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gordon View Post
I disagree. America is not an old country like China or Japan but it gave more to the world in the last 100 years than the other two in 500 years. Hemingway is known better than any other writer in any other part of the world. Our movies and music are heard everywhere - when was the last time you heard people getting excited about a Chinese film? We made more scientific and medical discoveries than the rest of the world combined in the last 100 years. Americans are not snobs and don't spend half of their time watching ballet or opera, but it does not mean our culture is non existent or less important than anything else.
I agree with your point, but what makes you think Europeans are snobs that spend half their time watching ballet and opera. I knew more opera fans in New York City than I ever met in Germany despite the nice opera house nearby (in both places I traveled in Music-related circles). Most Europeans listen to Rock, Hip-hop, and techno and watch ridiculous sitcoms and sports just like their American counterparts.

But for the most part I agree, Americans have contributed to the body of Western culture, both high and low (pop).

In fact, with the exception of Modernism (a cultural movement as European, or perhaps more, as American) the producers of culture in America are just as much inheritors of the European tradition as people living in Europe today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
5,847 posts, read 11,018,676 times
Reputation: 3829
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I agree with your point, but what makes you think Europeans are snobs that spend half their time watching ballet and opera. I knew more opera fans in New York City than I ever met in Germany despite the nice opera house nearby (in both places I traveled in Music-related circles). Most Europeans listen to Rock, Hip-hop, and techno and watch ridiculous sitcoms and sports just like their American counterparts.

But for the most part I agree, Americans have contributed to the body of Western culture, both high and low (pop).

In fact, with the exception of Modernism (a cultural movement as European, or perhaps more, as American) the producers of culture in America are just as much inheritors of the European tradition as people living in Europe today.
Lets not forget that back in the day the waltz and the paintings of Peter Paul Rubens were considered low brow and scandalous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2011, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,718 posts, read 4,785,293 times
Reputation: 1454
This has probably was mentioned already but I am sure some foreigners are still stocked that we don't have universal health care and shocked that we still implement the death penalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top