U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 04:46 PM

441 posts, read 1,182,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gordon View Post
I disagree. America is not an old country like China or Japan but it gave more to the world in the last 100 years than the other two in 500 years. Hemingway is known better than any other writer in any other part of the world. Our movies and music are heard everywhere - when was the last time you heard people getting excited about a Chinese film? We made more scientific and medical discoveries than the rest of the world combined in the last 100 years. Americans are not snobs and don't spend half of their time watching ballet or opera, but it does not mean our culture is non existent or less important than anything else.
[citation needed]

Not everyone is your cookie-cutter Hollywood/MTV consumer. I can name you two Chinese movies from the top of my head, but I can't name two Hollywood movies from last year. I don't know, honestly... Oh well, Pirates of the Caribbean, because Spanish GF likes Penelope Cruz.
And it rather says something about how ignorant are you, not them.

There were some translated TV shows (Friends, House) in TV but don't assume it's filled with US productions 24/7, it's quite opposite in many countries. How do you know by the way, from your European friends on Facebook?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 05:51 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,478,001 times
.Its a big country with beautiful landscapes and varied climates. Enough said.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:20 AM

466 posts, read 909,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Less guns means less violence? That is not fact! The cities in the US with the strictest gun laws have the highest violence rates. Why are Europeans so scared of guns? They didn't have a problem using them during World Wars 1 and 2.
So when you live in the US, you live in a war zone? Is that what you mean with your post? I don't think so. I don't know where you get your facts from, but think again.
We Europeans are not scared of guns, we just know what they are doing in the wrong hands..... and when you watch the news, you know too. Guns aren't scary in general, most of the people who are using them are!

Old 11-19-2011, 10:31 AM

6,418 posts, read 10,856,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagicre View Post
So when you live in the US, you live in a war zone? Is that what you mean with your post? I don't think so. I don't know where you get your facts from, but think again.
We Europeans are not scared of guns, we just know what they are doing in the wrong hands..... and when you watch the news, you know too. Guns aren't scary in general, most of the people who are using them are!

The problem is that "the wrong hands" seem to find a way to get weapons, no matter if they are legal or not. That's my main problem with the absolute gun control argument. Felons aren't supposed to own guns now...yet many can still find a way if they wish. It's sort of like illegal drugs. Everyone knows they are illegal, but those who are looking can always find them.

I personally don't feel like disarming the populace is an acceptable solution, as the government cannot completely guarantee everyone's safety.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:26 PM

37 posts, read 94,657 times
From a Saudi Arabian
Fast Food EVERYWHERE
People are very welcoming and friendly
The Women really expose there body
Advertisements EVERYWHERE, Driving on a American highway there's just a endless line of billboards.
Much more green with trees and grass everywhere
Driving laws are really well respected
Gas is very expensive

Old 11-19-2011, 07:57 PM

1,352 posts, read 689,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanCiticen View Post
I haven´t been in america yet. Some things that shocked friends of mine who travelled to the USA as tourists or lived in the USA:

1) Obvious: Everything is BIG - The houses, the refrigators, the TVs, the yards, the cars, the streets, the shopping centers, the coffee, coke- and fast food- sizes, the belly sizes ...
I came to the realization that Americans are similar to where certain 90's era video games had an unrealistic scale in relation to the size of the character. Where everything was gigantic in comparison to a virtual human character.

America is exactly like that, the scale of everything is comedic in how big stuff is, roads, houses, yards, cars/trucks, buildings, etc. It's like Americans are just spoiled overgrown children compared to their European counterparts.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:58 PM

22,113 posts, read 23,627,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gordon View Post
I disagree. America is not an old country like China or Japan but it gave more to the world in the last 100 years than the other two in 500 years. Hemingway is known better than any other writer in any other part of the world. Our movies and music are heard everywhere - when was the last time you heard people getting excited about a Chinese film? We made more scientific and medical discoveries than the rest of the world combined in the last 100 years. Americans are not snobs and don't spend half of their time watching ballet or opera, but it does not mean our culture is non existent or less important than anything else.
Whoa, this is so completely off-base I don't even know how to address this. I can't even tell if this is supposed to sarcastic though, because the tone of it isn't, but the content is off-the-wall.

If it's not sarcastic, then I say I understand you disagreeing with him and I do, too, but swinging completely on to the other extreme doesn't make for very fruitful argument.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,828,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
I came to the realization that Americans are similar to where certain 90's era video games had an unrealistic scale in relation to the size of the character. Where everything was gigantic in comparison to a virtual human character.

America is exactly like that, the scale of everything is comedic in how big stuff is, roads, houses, yards, cars/trucks, buildings, etc. It's like Americans are just spoiled overgrown children compared to their European counterparts.
You should see Phoenix Metro if you think things are oversized. A 3000 sq. foot house is "normal" for the area and a 2000 sq. foot house is considered rather "small." Very strange to me, too, having come from a place where houses are relatively small.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 11-20-2011 at 08:49 AM..

Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,828,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Very interesting thread, i ve read it all!

Im from Argentina and lived in USA for a couple of months when i was 18 (10 years ago) after i finished high school. If i went there now, probably i ´ll found much more things that surprise me, but at that time, this things surprised me the most:

Highways/not walkable cities: Let me clarify that i lived in Minneapolis and Los Angeles and i couldnt believe all the highways! I mean, there i was in the city of Minneapolis (a 600,000 city at that time-maybe less, i dont remember-) FULL of higways like if it was freaking Tokyo or Sao Paolo!!! I saw all the highways, and i wonder: where the hell is the people?? The fact is that i was in a town full of higways. i will never understand that!.
After spendind some time in CD i hear most of the suburs are like that, im shocked. I think highways are to blame for the obesity epidemic everyone is complaining about in this forum. You CANT walk in those cities!! If i ll live there i ll be obese, too, non obese american should be given rewards!.
Take in count that i live in Buenos Aires, probably one of the most walkable cities on earth, a place where i wouldnt dream of having a car, specially cause traffic is hellish!, and cause finding a place to park can be impossible and/or super expensive, and mostly cause public transportation works really well here. But, anyway, i prefer to walk. I almost walk everywhere and im surrounded by people, millions of people, 24/7. Its even too much. Imagine what i felt when i was there: where the hell is the people?? how do you walk? This was even more shocking in LA, where i never saw people!! I mean, isnt LA supposed to be a big city and all? where the hell was the people?? It was too weird, like a city written by 1984 writer George Orwell, like a dystopia!! I was really truly dissapointed at LA. It had beuatiful landscapes but you hardly see any people and you harldy felt anything. Whats a big city witouth a soul? Just a town with highways and hidden people. Bad!

Huge portions and refills: me and my friend (i traveled with a friend from highschool) went to this big fancy restaurant to have dinner once (before that we only ate in the fast food places like taco bell, arbys, etc) and the portions were HUGE. We order a steak each one and we both left more than half of it. We could have easily shared one and it woud have been too much, too. Incredible. And the refills!! OMG, i noticed this when i went with my family when i was 13, that you guys had refill! It was like dreamland to me! when you are a kid all you want is eat soda non-stop! I loved it then! When i think about it now that i live a healthy lifestyle, is that this huge portions and refills contribute to the obesity empidemic too much, too. Im telling you, its NOT easy to be thin on that country!

Everything was so un-expensive!: specially clothes. I remember i came back here with wonderful, $5,$6 dollars clothes, lovely jeans for 10 bucks, dresses. It was all so great!!

Politeness: everyone smiled at you and said "hi", "good evening" "how are you?". I noticed this specially in Minneapolis, you felt really well treated by everyone, people said hi in the streets and sometimes they even chat a little. People from BA could learn from this, specially the being polite part, since you can go to buy something in the store and if the clerck isnt in a good mood, it will show! But i guess this rudeness is a huge cities thing? even in this thread people said that in USA huge cities people are more rude, cause of course people is more stressed in big cities. I did noticed that in LA peopel werent as friendly.

Ignorance: Basically, people from USA think that anything southern than USA, its Mexico! They asked us all the time if we only ate tacos and how come we werent dark skinned? when we told them how was argentina like they looked at us with blank stares like we were talking about a new world or something. Weird!. Plus, they dont know nothing about geography, they know so little its hilarious. And i mean grown ups! .

Cars: everyone has cars, this is just unthinkable here! Girls 17 yo all have cars, and a family can easily have 4 or 5 or 6 cars! theres no way this would happen here! Not even in the rich families! Not even in my home city (a smaller city when a car is more useful and traffic isnt crazy like in BA) and no way in a million years you will find 4 cars in a home in BA. Actually, cars here and not an indispensable item. You can have it or you can never have it and its the same. In USA is the other way around.

Oh, and i have more but im gonna stop now, this is just too long!
I like the idea of "rewards" for being non-obese. Ha.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:38 AM

7,129 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by نصار View Post
From a Saudi Arabian
Fast Food EVERYWHERE
People are very welcoming and friendly
The Women really expose there body
Advertisements EVERYWHERE, Driving on a American highway there's just a endless line of billboards.
Much more green with trees and grass everywhere
Driving laws are really well respected
Gas is very expensive
I agree with basically all of this. The only thing I will say is that some states allow less billboards and advertisements on their highways than others.

I guess gas is very cheap in Saudia Arabia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or